bass on the fly

Old May 24th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Jeff Miller

Default Bass on the fly

Wolfgang wrote:

Not sure that's true. I caught only four smallmouth. Rock bass were
another story altogether......got over a dozen of those.

well then...somebody owes me 5 bucks. g i did catch more than 4
smallies, and i definitely caught the biggest one. did anybody catch
more than 8 smallmouth? those little rock bass (?) looked like bug-eyed
water rodents to me...hmmm...

I'd be willing to risk a small to moderate wager on my chances with a
fly rod against a spin fisher for smallmouth under most conditions,
but I think it would be a sucker bet for largemouth.

well, now...double or nothing, fontana lake, october.

jeff

Old May 25th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Willi

Peter Charles wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:51:47 GMT, Steve
wrote:

[snipper-rooney]

Steve
Sebring, FL

I think I said that somewhere around here, once or twice before. Use
your flyrod like a baitcaster and the baitcasting guy will whup your
ass every time. Use it the way Nature intended and it'll be a
different story.

My point about models is that we fly guys persist in using the
baitcaster model when we go after LM and lake living SM. Time for a
better one.

What you and Steve are saying gives me something to think about
(especially now because I'll be hitting one of my local lakes for bass,
carp etc. until runoff is over).

What you say makes sense and I'm going to try and apply that philosophy
- trying to target those fish and situations where fly fishing is an
advantage rather than a disadvantage.

However, the problem I see is that there are many situations where fly
gear just isn't nearly as effective in getting to the fish ie. deep
fish, fish in heavy cover etc.

An experience I had a couple of Springs ago is a good example. There's a
shallow flat in my favorite local lake that floods in the Spring. In the
area, there's a stand of trees that end up in about three feet of water.
I was able to catch some bass fishing the edges of the trees and
was pretty please with the action. Then one day as I kicked my float
tube into the area, there was a guy fishing the flooded timber with
spinner baits that he threw back into the timber. He was slaying the
fish. He probably caught more bass in the half hour I watched him than I
had caught in a half a dozen trips. Unless I'm missing something,
there's no way for a fly fisherman to even get a fly into the area
where the fish were.

Willi

Old May 25th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Steve

Willi,
My whole point and logic is this, A bait fisher will usally kill an
artificial angler on any given day. The flyfisher imitates the natural
better than most hardware. I learned to flyfish trout, since I moved to
florida I began to flyfish bass. I have fished many times with friends
who are spin and baitcasters, and pulled them in equal to or better than
a hardware angler. I have had my share of bad days. If I always was
better than everyone else I would be on the tournament trail fishing
ultra light weighted flies and streamers. The lesson that I learned was
that you I had to go back to my roots and use the techniques of dry fly
and wet fly that I used in Montana, but the flies and poppers of LM Bass
anglers in Florida and not try to imitate the gearhead. This has been
real hard for me because most of sources for bass fishermen is written
from a gearhead perspective. I am also compelled to bass fish as I read
in magazines and see on television which are predominately hardware
fishermen throwing a fly rod. I never thought of floating a popper like
a dry fly using the waves the same way current carries a dry fly. John
Lindsey (see his post on ROFF) and I have had several conversations and
he recognized and made me realize what I was doing wrong and tonight I
just nailed one of my biggest pond bass (appox 3 acre) close to 5
pounds. Between him and other posters like big dale and Peter charles I
returned to my flyfishing roots and it worked. To be a flyrod basser
we really need to leave baitcasting techniques behind us and use good
flyfish tactics with the long rod. A wormfishermen and a crankbait
fishermen use two entirely different presentations, retrieves, and
equipment, why are we trying to use our equipment to mimic their
technique when they can't even do it. I can't answer why the fish were
hitting buzzbait and leaving your fly. Where you fishing a popper or a
mouse? slow or fast? anything could have been the reason were you
fishing close to him or after he left. Maybe you were just having a bad
day, it happens. Just like the old saying: If you caught a fish with
every cast they would call it catching.

Steve
Sebring, FL
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Wolfgang

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message

Wolfgang wrote:

Not sure that's true. I caught only four smallmouth. Rock bass were
another story altogether......got over a dozen of those.

well then...somebody owes me 5 bucks. g i did catch more than 4
smallies, and i definitely caught the biggest one. did anybody catch
more than 8 smallmouth? those little rock bass (?) looked like bug-eyed
water rodents to me...hmmm...

I'd be willing to risk a small to moderate wager on my chances with a
fly rod against a spin fisher for smallmouth under most conditions,
but I think it would be a sucker bet for largemouth.

well, now...double or nothing, fontana lake, october.

Hm......shoreline?......for smallmouth? I got a six pack, a dog, and a
woman........you?

Wolfgang
and god help me if either of the latter ever sees this.

Old May 25th, 2004, 01:28 AM
rw

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
link.net...

Willi,
My whole point and logic is this, A bait fisher will usally kill an
artificial angler on any given day.

um, no offense, steve, but i will take either jeffie or pamlico jim
roberts (depending on who had more or less to drink the night before; if jim
had more to drink, i will take him) and let you haul in lefty kreh, or steve
barnard, and put them in any ****ing pond or impoundment in all of north
carolina, fishing for bass, and i will pay you a c-note for each of the
flyboys fish, if you will pay me for each of the others fishes. deal?

I haven't flyfished for bass since I was a teenager, which was a LONG
time ago. Sucker bet.

Old May 25th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Jeff Miller" wrote

wolfy submitted that:

I'd be willing to risk a small to moderate wager on my chances with a
fly rod against a spin fisher for smallmouth under most conditions,
but I think it would be a sucker bet for largemouth.

jeffie responded:

well, now...double or nothing, fontana lake, october.

jeff

uh, jeffie, could i put, say, a couple hundred on the spinner with a
chartruese twister?

yfitp
wayno (not that i would take advantage of a cheesehead, or anything)

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Wolfgang" wrote
well, now...double or nothing, fontana lake, october.

Hm......shoreline?......for smallmouth? I got a six pack, a dog, and a
woman........you?

Wolfgang
and god help me if either of the latter ever sees this.

hilarious, and i can dig the sight of you with little beads of sweat
popping out as you write, and the increase in heart rate... and the best
part is, i will be there to see it all go down. might even write a song
about it, if i can work a sexual spin in there, somewhere...

yfitons
wayno

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:10 AM
rw

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
. ..

I haven't flyfished for bass since I was a teenager, which was a LONG
time ago. Sucker bet.

of course. why else would i offer it?

I'm just kind of mystified why you even brought up my name in that context.

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Willi wrote:

spinner baits that he threw back into the timber. He was slaying the
fish. He probably caught more bass in the half hour I watched him than I
had caught in a half a dozen trips. Unless I'm missing something,
there's no way for a fly fisherman to even get a fly into the area
where the fish were.

It's not merely a matter of getting into the timber. When the spinner
bait bite is hot, it is HOT. The thumping of the blade plus the sounds
made when the lure bumps into the wood is a strike trigger that you'd have
a hard time duplicating with any gear.

Mu