need new floating fly line - advice

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:15 AM
Steve Egge

Default need new floating fly line - advice

Was fishing on the Deschutes river in Oregon this weekend - wow flows were high
- water cold (42 degrees) ... and noticed my cortland 444sl 6 wt. line was
wearing out ... losing the coating in places and revealing only the core.

Question ... should I get another 444sl or try the 555 ... or switch to SA ...
Will fish trout with the line ... rivers & lakes ... various rivers ... Madison,
Yellowstone, Deschutes, Yakima (WA) ...

I'm sure this has been discussed before ... maybe not ... any suggestions or
pointers to shops that have good discussions/comparisons/prices ...

Thanks ... Steve Egge
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:27 AM
Bill Kiene

There are tons of good fly lines now. If you have a line that is a few years
old, a new technology fly line would be a good thing for ~$60USD.

The "555" did not really do well. Back to the drawing board. The 444 Lazer,
444SL and 444 Peach are good but dated.

The most popular by volume for us is the 3M/SA/Mastery 'Trout' and 'GPX'
(which is a little heavier than stated to load up faster rods better).

The Sage 'Performance' line is very nice.

Airflow has a new 'Platinum' series that seems to cast very well.

The Rio 'Grand' is a little heavier than the size stated too for faster rods
and has the new welded front loop.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Old March 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Larry and a cat named Dub

How about the wolf triple triangle any opinions? I need a 5w for the rod I
just completed building.Price?
. com...