Line colouring...black vs clear?

Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Line colouring...black vs clear?

Hi, does line colouring matter for traces?

The colors im thinking of are black compared to clear.

What kinda difference will it make to overall boat/pier fishing over rocky
/reef ground?

TIA

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

In article , Dave
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:

"Fantom" wrote in message
Hi, does line colouring matter for traces?

The colors im thinking of are black compared to clear.

I always look at it the other way around...

It is said that when fishing for bass you need clear line, as I never seem
to catch one I can not comment but use this new fluorocarbon line for my
traces.

It cannot be a bad thing for the fish not to see the line - they may be used
to long strands of algae of various colours drifting around but virtually
invisible line has to be less likely to spook them.

So why would you ever want to use coloured/visible line?

Either:
When YOU want to see it - to keep it out of trouble among snags for eg.
or:
When you want something else to see it - I can't think of a sal****er
example but in fresh water ducks might be less likely to run into a
clearly visible line.

So by all means use visible main line if you wish but add a clear trace to
avoid scaring your quarry.

Cheerio,