Sea fishing records

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

Default Sea fishing records

Many years ago I worked for a wonderful chap who once held a British
record for a species of shark, (species not known but might be a
porbeagle).
Can anyone tell me where I could look to find past records?
His name BTW was Jim Ares or Aires.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old March 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Ken Ward

Current record 507lb Dunnet Head, Scotland C Bennett 1993

Quite a big fish eh?

Ken W

Old March 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Ken Ward, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Current record 507lb Dunnet Head, Scotland C Bennett 1993

Quite a big fish eh?

Ken W

A bit bigger than anything I have caught Ken!
How about past records though? Probably in the '60's or '70's?
Cheers,
Alec

Old March 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Ken Ward

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Ken Ward, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Current record 507lb Dunnet Head, Scotland C Bennett 1993

Quite a big fish eh?

Ken W

A bit bigger than anything I have caught Ken!
How about past records though? Probably in the '60's or '70's?
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

Sorry Alec, but I can't come up with anything better than Thornback Ray 15lb
12oz 1987 and Conger Eel 42lb 1998 and they were both mine ;-).

--
Ken. W.

Old March 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Ken Ward, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Current record 507lb Dunnet Head, Scotland C Bennett 1993

Quite a big fish eh?

Ken W

A bit bigger than anything I have caught Ken!
How about past records though? Probably in the '60's or '70's?
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

oddly enough the Shark Angling Club Of Great Britain keep some records from
that far back http://www.sharkanglingclubofgreatbritain.org.uk/ the earliest
on the site is 1959
when I would be about bait sized
Derek

Old March 8th, 2007, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Derek, gave forth these words of wisdom:
oddly enough the Shark Angling Club Of Great Britain keep some records
from that far back http://www.sharkanglingclubofgreatbritain.org.uk/
the earliest
on the site is 1959
when I would be about bait sized
Derek

Absolute magic Derek!!!!!!
Thresher Shark (alopine vulpinus) 295lb J. Aris Isle of Wight 1978

I thought it was earlier than this but there you go.
Sadly Jim is no longer with us but I do remember the certificate on his
office wall.
He used to fish with my late uncle down at Hastings after he retired.
Thanks once again
Alec

Old March 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Big Mac

Hi Alec,

The best I could do was the current records held he
http://www.swordfishingcentral.com/s...d-records.html

You may be able to contact someone from the IGFA who may have the historical
details for your single enquiry - off line. See
http://www.igfa.org/index.asp . But if you want to search their records
database you'll need to be a member see http://www.igfa.org/records.asp

Can't help you much more that this.

Regards,

BM

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

Thanks Mac,
As you can see from previous posts to this thread I have already found
the info I was after,
Cheers,
Alec