wreck advice weymouth

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

Default wreck advice weymouth

Hi,

planning to go wreck fishing this month in weymouth, i intend to go fishing
for pollock, not conger and ling.

1. Would a 12-20 class rod suffice or would i be better off with a 15-30lb?

2. An abu seven reel loaded with 15lb braid or should i load it with 20lb?

this is my first wreck trip and so im hesitant on buying new gear.

TIA

Old June 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Ken Ward

"Fantom" wrote in message
Hi,

planning to go wreck fishing this month in weymouth, i intend to go
fishing for pollock, not conger and ling.

1. Would a 12-20 class rod suffice or would i be better off with a
15-30lb?

2. An abu seven reel loaded with 15lb braid or should i load it with 20lb?

this is my first wreck trip and so im hesitant on buying new gear.

From my experience of a few years ago....

12-20 Rod

15 Braid

15 feet trace

Black "redgills".

Check the echo sounder for "blips" above the wreck.

Slooooowly down and up.. about one turn of the handle per second, just to
get the tail of the redgill vibrating.

Good god, I wish I was coming with you now! It's been a long time!

Ken Ward.

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
J the Trout

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

"Fantom" wrote in message
Hi,

planning to go wreck fishing this month in weymouth, i intend to go
fishing for pollock, not conger and ling.

1. Would a 12-20 class rod suffice or would i be better off with a
15-30lb?

2. An abu seven reel loaded with 15lb braid or should i load it with
20lb?

this is my first wreck trip and so im hesitant on buying new gear.

From my experience of a few years ago....

12-20 Rod

15 Braid

15 feet trace

Black "redgills".

Check the echo sounder for "blips" above the wreck.

Slooooowly down and up.. about one turn of the handle per second, just to
get the tail of the redgill vibrating.

Good god, I wish I was coming with you now! It's been a long time!

Ken Ward.

Agreed, but in addition, when a pollock takes the redgill - DON'T STRIKE -
just keep on winding until the fish dives and the fight is on.

Best of luck.

Old June 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Chris

The 12-20 and 15lb braid would suffice, but if I had the choice I'd go for
the 12-20 20lb braid combination. You don't mention the rod type. I use
an uptider, the extra length makes for more fun, with an Abu 7000 loaded
with 10Kg (22lb) braid. I also use this combo for other types of fishing,
e.g. uptiding, float fishing for bass, black bream etc.

Don't forget to add a mono leader of about twice the rod length, and use a
trace slightly weaker than your braid, another reason for going for the
20lb option, then if/when you hook the wreck you reduce the risk of losing
expensive braid.

You should ensure that the skipper intends to target pollack, as these are
mostly caught whilst drifting over the wreck, whereas congers tend to be
taken at anchor. It may be that you’ll be doing a bit of both, in which
case ideally you would want a 20-30 rod and a reel loaded with at least
30lb braid, i.e. two completely different outfits.

Talk to the skipper before committing yourself one way or the other. A
lot of the Weymouth skippers have gear you can borrow/hire for the day.

Tight Lines.

Chris.

Old June 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

Thanks everyone for the advice..appreciated

The rod type would be a maxximus solid c 8ft 12-20lb.

The skipper has indicated he will be fishing on the drift and at anchor
during the day.

What species could i aim for on this outfit at anchor?

news

Old June 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
J the Trout

Best person to ask this is the skipper. As he's the guy who knows where
he's planning to go and what is available.

In my experience almost all of the Weymouth skippers are really helpful and
will give you whatever advice they can.

Tight lines

"Fantom" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for the advice..appreciated

The rod type would be a maxximus solid c 8ft 12-20lb.

The skipper has indicated he will be fishing on the drift and at anchor
during the day.

What species could i aim for on this outfit at anchor?

news