Fly Fishing History (small business) 1B

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Bill Kiene

Default Fly Fishing History (small business) 1B

Hi All ROFFers,

In about 5 years (10 on the outside) especially in CA, most of the fly shops
(plus most all other small independent businesses) will no longer exist.

They will be replaced by fly fishing departments in large box stores like
Cabelas, Bass Pro, LL Bean, Orvis, REI and Sportsman's Warehouse. Most will
be better off because it is getting harder all the time to be profitable in
a small/medium independent business in America.

This is to do with situations beyond their control. Everything is getting
bigger. Insurances are ski-rocketing. Many companies, medium and large, are
merging or buying up other similar businesses.

We had a top independent small busyness just close in Sacramento, CA. It was
"G12" which was around sense I was a kid in south Sacramento. It was the
most famous chassis/front end/suspension shop in town. Many local government
agencies and most local racer car people had their vehicle "massaged" by
these guys. I heard that it was the liability and workers comp that finally
did them in. This is pretty sad because they were real good. I will have to
find another place now that I can believe in.

There are some special businesses that will be there. I think a really well
run restaurant is always going to be there.

All business will be very large brand names or very small, like out of your
spare room or garage or cottage on the property.

Walt Winter here (www.ezflyfish.com) will always be around because he has a
unique business. He has two eCommerce businesses and a nice destination fly
shop too. These are two parts of fly fishing that will be around. If you
want to do something to keep the little guy around you could try to buy from
Walt when it is convenient. Walt is the kind of person you want to be
dealing with. He is also a kick to fish and BS with. He is one of the most
knowledgeable people in Fly Fishing eCommerce today. Most others just pay
someone to run their site and virtually are at their mercy $$$. Walt does it
all himself. He is a survivor and works about 60 hours a week. His wife
works with him too so he can be profitable. Yep,"mom & pop".

I will be retired by then.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM
egildone1

Bill,

Yes, Here in OKC, Basspro opens a new store on Nov 20th. The city fathers
gave them a 19 mil loan and a big tax break. The little guys only get taxes
and more taxes!

Ed
. com...

Old November 12th, 2003, 11:31 PM
walt winter

Bill Kiene wrote:
snipped

Walt Winter here (www.ezflyfish.com) will always be around because he has a
unique business. He has two eCommerce businesses and a nice destination fly
shop too. These are two parts of fly fishing that will be around. If you
want to do something to keep the little guy around you could try to buy from
Walt when it is convenient. Walt is the kind of person you want to be
dealing with. He is also a kick to fish and BS with. He is one of the most
knowledgeable people in Fly Fishing eCommerce today. Most others just pay
someone to run their site and virtually are at their mercy $$$. Walt does it
all himself. He is a survivor and works about 60 hours a week. His wife
works with him too so he can be profitable. Yep,"mom & pop".

I will be retired by then.

Thanks for the nice words Bill.... 'preciate it!

BTW, did ya get the pics back yet? ;-)

--Walt

Old November 13th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi Walt,

I took one roll of prints and they came back but the roll with you on it was
slides and I guess it is taking longer.

I bet I got some good pics of you, Sarah and Alby.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA