Fly Line Question

Old January 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Tony & Barb Vellturo

Default Fly Line Question

I purchased an Orvis Wonderline, WF-5-F, 3 to 4 years ago. Paid about
$50-$60 for it. When I started cleaning and conditioning the line
this year I found th following condition:

The first 4-5 yards of the line was in excellent shape. However the
next 4-5 yards, where the diameter of the line increases
significantly, the line was discolored, grayish, and there appeared to
be small cracks. Upon inspection with a magnifying glass, I could not
detect cracks. The rest of the "thick" part of the line entirely to
the end, where it tapers again, appears fine. I fish mostly the White
River Vermont watershed where the water is somewhat acidic. I
probably average 2 times per week fishing. Also, I clean and
condition every year.

Any ideas what the cause of this condition might be? Maybe it's time
for a new line? The performance still seems ok.
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Ernie

"Mark Tinsky" wrote in message
Any opinions on the longest wearing fly line? Most resistant

to dirt
and cracks?
MT

My best wearing lines have been Cortland 333 and 444.
Ernie

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Mark Tinsky

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM
George Adams

From: "Ernie"

"Mark Tinsky" wrote in message
Any opinions on the longest wearing fly line? Most resistant

to dirt
and cracks?

My best wearing lines have been Cortland 333 and 444.

Same here

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Wayne Knight

"Ernie" wrote in message
. com...

My best wearing lines have been ....

Do they come in XXL?

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Mike Connor

"Mark Tinsky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Any opinions on the longest wearing fly line? Most resistant to dirt
and cracks?

MT

My longest lasting plastic lines were Cortland 444´s. The longest lasting
of all are of course silk lines.

TL
MC

Old January 27th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Stephen Welsh

Mark Tinsky wrote in :

Any opinions on the longest wearing fly line? Most resistant to dirt
and cracks?

444 clear creek

Steve
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Mu Young Lee

Default Slick fly lines Fly Line Question

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Frank Church wrote:

....if the performance is OK, why change? On the other hand, I just
purchased Orvis newest Wonderline Advantage in WF4F trout. "The world's
slickest fly line!"

What does slick really mean? I have a Scientific Anglers AST running line
and a Rio Aqualux clear intermediate running line. When you feel the two
with your fingers, the AST clearly feels slicker, the way teflon feels
slick. But when I cast a wet line, I've found that the Rio gives me
longer casts. I think it has something to do not only with the wetness
but with the fact that my Rio is a little stiffer, tending to lie in
larger coils than the Sci Ang AST line. Practicing your casting is
probably the best and most enjoyable way to get some extra distance rahter
than discarding a perfectly good line in order to have the latest
ultra-slick superline on your reel.

Mu
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Frank Church

Mu Young Lee wrote in
cc.itd.umich.edu:
Practicing
your casting is probably the best and most enjoyable way to get some
extra distance rahter than discarding a perfectly good line in order
to have the latest ultra-slick superline on your reel.

...true enough Mu, and since most of my casting is within, say, 30 feet,
even my lobs can make it that far with elcheapo $12 Cortland Fairplay
lines. I admit it, most times I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest and
I hate myself for being so weak. ;-(

Frank 5 thumbs Church