Ga offshore/inshore

Old February 26th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Joe

Default Ga offshore/inshore

Im planning a South Georga fishing trip in the Sapelo Sound area for
sometime around March 12. Anybody got any ideas on what might be biting?

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM
LD

Mosquitos and gnats, if the weather's warm enough!
LD :-)

Old February 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
joe

In article ,
"Joe" wrote:

Im planning a South Georga fishing trip in the Sapelo Sound area for
sometime around March 12. Anybody got any ideas on what might be biting?

Inshore you can find trout and redfish as in most coastal areas. You
should look to creeks where water is warmer and areas that warm more
quickly as the sun rises.

Nearshore there is a large shark population. Not sure when the shrimpers
run year round but if they are running and you pull into the wash behind
one and anchor up you will see more sharks than you can count. A
menhaden under a float will get you a nearly instant hookup. Not
uncommon to find sharks to 8 feet. The black tips are a blast and will
usually jump at least once. Great sport as they pull like tanks.

I don't target sheepshead so I am not sure the season but I think that
they are less likley to move away due to temperature.

Tarpon will probably not show up until June and the fall is the time to
fish for bull reds off the sandbars.

Good Fishin'
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Joe

All this that you mentioned is the kind of thing I would normally do, its
just that I havent had a lot of success until the water gets a little
warmer. In the really hot summer months like end of July and August I have
had some great success with Blacktips like you mentioned. Maybe Ill go up
some of the smaller creeks ans shallow areas and try to find some warm water
like you say. Thanks.

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:53 PM
licker

I don't live in GA but do fish sal****er year round. Maybe the following
information might help you in GA.

Switch to braid line in the winter and you will feel more strikes. Fish do
not strike as hard in the winter as they do in the summer. You may only
feel a slight resistance compared to the smash and grab that you have in the
summer. When setting the hook don't be as aggressive as in the summer
because you may lose the fish. A lot of times you only have them caught by
the lip.

Look for clean water. Fish cuts and openings where water is draining out of
an area. If you see bait fish it is worth trying to fish.

In the winter specks will go to any place that holds deep water not to far
from shallow flats. In the morning try fishing holes near the flats that
are at least 6 foot in depth. The colder the water is the deeper the hole
needs to be. As the day warms up drift over the flats looking for bait fish
activity. Try near cuts and drains.
Darker color artificial seem to work better in the winter in Louisiana. Try
bouncing a Carolina rig with a 1/4 ounce jig head with your favorite lure.
If no luck with a Carolina rig then try free lining the lure. Try to cast
into the current and letting the lure fall back to the bottom then retrieve
at a slow pace but yet fast enough to keep the slack out the line. You may
also try with a sliding cork. Switch to either topwater or popping cork
when fishing the flats.

Look for redfish in the same area however they can be found in shallow water
even in the morning. They are not effect by the cold like the specks are.
Gold spoons work real well in the winter in Louisiana but you can work the
same lures as you do for specks.

Market shrimp will always catch sheephead as well as reds and specks.

I hope this helps.

Sarge