OT has to happen all the time. I guess

Old December 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default OT has to happen all the time. I guess

I just took a short, hour each way, drive to help my son with a couple
things at his place.

Being a bit "cell phone conscious" lately I really noticed the number of
people with the damn things stuck to their ears as they whipped through
lanes of traffic, eager to save, maybe, a second or two. I wonder what
percentage of those calls were even vaguely "important." ... certainly all
were dangerous.

Got me thinking that each day several people probably hear a friend or
loved one die as the attempts at cell phone/ driving multi-tasking fail and
end in a crash.

Damn I'm glad I'm so very, very, unimportant. The world won't end if I
I'm a bit late and it gets by well enough without my being on a phone 85% of
the time ... or ever while driving

.... or fishing

Old December 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Larry L" wrote in message
[...]

You do yourself an injustice. You are important enough. Why, without you
we'd be two threads short on cell phone observations in the past 24 hours or
so.

Wolfgang
aw, shucks.

Old December 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 19, 4:22 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
I wonder what
percentage of those calls were even vaguely "important."

I'll confess to the most egregious cell phone call I ever took. Under
a warm, blue summer sky, #1 offspring & I were paddling from Lily Bay
to Greenville across a wonderfully calm and beautiful Moosehead Lake.
Loons swam and dove nearby, clouds dotted the sky, the beauty of
nature and isolation all around us.

In the midst of this, I took a call from my mortgage banker. By way
of explanation, we'd departed for a week in Maine in the middle of a
re-fi process, and yeah, it really was important; but it still seemed,
well, just wrong. Dangerous, no; but me in a touring kayak does raise
the possibility of drowning.

Joe F.
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rb608" wrote

In the midst of this, I took a call from my mortgage banker.

in Sept I was sitting at the Nature Conservancy cabin at Silver Creek
chatting with the volunteer hosts, a couple of retired teachers I've gotten
to know fairly well. My son is leaning towards teaching and we were
discussing that field.

There was some guy that showed up "to fish" that must have spent over an
hour on various calls ..... as his buddy got rigged .... then his buddy
stood and waited, ...then his buddy went down to the water, alone. You
could overhear enough of each call to know he was giving emplyee after
employee detailed instructions on what to do that day.

Jerry finally quietly said something to me about "can't believe he's been on
the phone this whole time on a fishing trip" .... which the cellslave heard
and looked up at, perturbed. Partly to take Jerry off the guys mind and
mostly because I'm a bit of an asshole, I then added loud enough to be
heard, " Yeah, if the business can't run for a couple days without him, he
must really suck as a manager. Employees should be better trained and
prepared than that."

I got a very seriously irritated look from "Mr Big Business" ... BUT ....
he was off the phone very soon after that and down at the creek. I like
to think I did him a favor, by ****ing him off. G

Old December 20th, 2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:37:13 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

"rb608" wrote

[...]

Speaking as another very-unimportant, non-business owning/managing Luddite:
It's gotten to where I can pick out a rolling cell user from a half-mile away.
You've probably seen the same phenomena: wandering out of their lanes,
changing speed for no reason, running right through traffic signals and
signage without warning.

At least a half-dozen times in the last couple of years, I've been stopped at
a red signal with a "user" next to me and seen them suddenly just take off
through the still-red light. Now, I *never* go through an intersection without
my foot hovering over the brake pedal.

And they are fricken' *everywhere* I wanna go...

/daytripper (I can't pass these idiots fast enough)
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gordon MacPherson

"Larry L" wrote in message
[...]

Just announced in the UK that using the phone while driving, in some
circumstances could lead to imprisonment - reckoned to be as dangerous as
drunk driving

Gordon

Old December 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"Peter A. Collin" at the creek.

Joe the Elder offers---my wife and I came upon native Americans deep into
Alaska. They were harvesting salmon with pitchforks, chains with big snag
hooks, and even one guy with a shovel standing in the stream and throwing
them ashore. {all within their legal rights }I asked one guy if it was
allright if my wife stood beside their big pile of fish with a pitchfork
while I took her picture --he replied "ten dollars'--when I replied that
Idid not have that much money he replied--We take Plastic.

Old December 20th, 2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Church[_5_]

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in
:

Just announced in the UK that using the phone while driving, in some
circumstances could lead to imprisonment - reckoned to be as dangerous
as drunk driving

.... it'll make it to this side of the pond eventually, and not a minute too
soon.

Frank Sr.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Frank Church typed:
"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in
:

Just announced in the UK that using the phone while driving, in some
circumstances could lead to imprisonment - reckoned to be as
dangerous as drunk driving

... it'll make it to this side of the pond eventually, and not a
minute too soon.

Frank, you liberal weenie (who loves ya?). ;-) The problem is not the
phones or most of the people using them. The problem are the idiots who
can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I'll assume that the "some
circumstances" clause in Gordon's note refers to someone getting injured or
killed by the offender. In that case, personal injury or negligent homicide
should kick in anyway, regardless if they were distracted by talking on
their cell phone, texting somone (yes, I've seen drivers text while
driving), or wiping their ass (no, I haven't seen this. . . yet.) Any laws
regarding cell phone usage while driving don't take into account the myriad
other distractions that now exist or will exist in the future. The only
mandate that should be put into effect is "while driving, get yer head out
of yer ass and drive!" Just my lil ol' opinion.

OBROFF Law: While driving past rivers, fly fishers must not turn their heads
and stare at the water.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message

Any laws regarding cell phone usage while driving don't take into account
the myriad other distractions that now exist or will exist in the future.
The only mandate that should be put into effect is "while driving, get yer
head out of yer ass and drive!"

I sweartagod this is true! Last Sunday, while on my way home from a short
road trip, I glanced at a billboard on a section of freeway under
construction on the south side of downtown Milwaukee that showed a picture
of someone using a cell phone while driving and said "Inclement weather
doesn't cause accidents; distractions do!"

There was also a note indicating that this message was brought to us by the
Wisconsin Department of Transportation, and some fine print that I couldn't
quite make out 50+ miles per hour.

Wolfgang
um......did i mention that this was on a billboard......on the
freeway.....in a highly congested area with a heavy traffic flow....in a
construction zone?