ot, and possibly maudlin, in the snake river valley, about an old sweet song, or two

Old September 28th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Wayne Harrison

Default ot, and possibly maudlin, in the snake river valley, about an old sweet song, or two

what follows is the sort of thread that would pop up around this dung hill
from time to time, a few years ago...

when i fish, my mind wanders, and none of you *******s can deny that you
feel the same. most often, during those reveries, i hear songs; songs that
i have sung, songs that i have wanted to sing. the list changes, of course,
as new ones are learned, and old ones of lesser quality are forgotten.

at any rate, when the fall is upon us, and the hint of winter's pain
becomes a real concern, the calling up of our favorite songs strengthens me.
it is an exercise that i hope might give energy to our community, as we pass
upstream, into the days of growing cold and declining light.

thus, to the point of the post: what song, presently, or within the
last few months, has run through your wandering minds, as you fished your
waters these last few months?

my choices, eagerly listed, are these: "desperados waiting for a
train", an old guy clark tale of friendship between an old texas oil man and
a kid; "she talks to angels", an amazingly intense, but helplesslessly
obtuse howl by the black crowes; and, as an arbitrarily last choice, "london
homesick blues", the famous theme song from the tv show, "austin city
limits".

and your choices?

yfitons
wayno

Old September 28th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Mike Connor

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. com...
SNIP
and your choices?

yfitons
wayno

"Come by the hills......"

COME BY THE HILLS

(C) C F C F C / C F C F G7 / C F C G7 / C F C F C

Oh, come by the hills to the land where fancy is free.
Stand where the peaks meet the sky and the loughs meet the sea,
Where rivers run clear, bracken is gold in the sun;
Ah, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Oh, come by the hills to the land where life is a song.
Stand where the birds fill the air with their joy all day long,
Where the trees sway in time, even the wind sings in tune;
Ah, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Oh, come by the hills to the land where legend remains.
The stories of old fill the heart and may yet come again,
Where the past has been lost, the future is still to be won;
Ah, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Oh, come by the hills to the land where fancy is free.
Stand where the peaks meet the sky and the loughs meet the sea,
Where rivers run clear, bracken is gold in the sun;
Ah, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Words by Scottish television producer Gordon Smith and set to the
traditional Irish air "Buchal an Eire."

Recorded by Gordon Bok on "Bay of Fundy," FSI-54 copyright 1975

There are others of course, but this one often comes to mind.

TL
MC

Old September 28th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. com...
SNIP
and your choices?

yfitons
wayno

"Come by the hills......"

COME BY THE HILLS

(C) C F C F C / C F C F G7 / C F C G7 / C F C F C

it would be a great pleasure to sing that song with you, one of these
days.

your friend in the old north state
wayno

Old September 28th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Tim J.

Wayne Harrison wrote:
what follows is the sort of thread that would pop up around this
dung hill from time to time, a few years ago...

It just *seems* like years. . .

when i fish, my mind wanders, and none of you *******s can deny
that you feel the same. most often, during those reveries, i hear
songs; songs that i have sung, songs that i have wanted to sing. the
list changes, of course, as new ones are learned, and old ones of
lesser quality are forgotten.
at any rate, when the fall is upon us, and the hint of winter's
pain becomes a real concern, the calling up of our favorite songs
strengthens me. it is an exercise that i hope might give energy to
our community, as we pass upstream, into the days of growing cold and
declining light.
thus, to the point of the post: what song, presently, or within
the last few months, has run through your wandering minds, as you
fished your waters these last few months?

When the occassion hits, I normally wax acoustic when fishing. The last songs
that popped into my head while fishing were "A Friend of the Devil" by GD and
"Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce.
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Conan the Librarian

Wayne Harrison wrote:

my choices, eagerly listed, are these: "desperados waiting for a
train", an old guy clark tale of friendship between an old texas oil man and
a kid; "she talks to angels", an amazingly intense, but helplesslessly
obtuse howl by the black crowes; and, as an arbitrarily last choice, "london
homesick blues", the famous theme song from the tv show, "austin city
limits".

and your choices?

"Giant Steps" by John Coltrane.

Oh, you mean a song with lyrics?

"Fishing With Bill" by Greg Brown is always a good one.

Chuck Vance (good call on "Desperados ..."; that's one of my
favorites, along with "Boats To Build")
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison wrote:

[...]

Jeff Buckley singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", Joan Baez singing
the Beatle's "In My Life" and naturally, that roffian favorite by
Jimmy Buffet, "A Pirate Looks At Forty." ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Dave LaCourse

Default ot, and possibly maudlin, in the snake river valley, about an

"Who Shivs a Git" by Forty and the Pimps. And the Pirate is soon (3) to be
looking at Seventy, not Forty. d)

Old September 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse wrote:

"Who Shivs a Git" by Forty and the Pimps. And the Pirate is soon (3) to be
looking at Seventy, not Forty. d)

I have been drunk now
For over two weeks,
I passed out and I rallied
And I sprung a few leaks,
But I've got stop wishin'
Got to go fishin'
I'm down to rock bottom again
Just a few friends
Just a few friends

I go for younger women
Lived with several awhile
And though I ran away
They'll come back one day
And I still can manage a smile
It just takes a while
Just takes a while
- Jimmy Buffet
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:27:25 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
wrote:

[...]

My mind wanders so much that I can't remember what song was
wandering through my mind last time I was fishing. I'm sure there
*was* one though, as I always seem to have one part of my brain
rerunning old tunes no matter what I'm doing. At work I have found
myself with The Internationale being run as the sound track,
especially the cheesy tango version that some one posted as a .midi
file on a website I looked at months ago. This is not good. Not good
at all.

g.c.
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Scott Seidman

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in
. com:

thus, to the point of the post: what song, presently, or within
the
last few months, has run through your wandering minds, as you fished
your waters these last few months?

Unfortunately, "Lime in the Coconut". Once ya got that going on, there's
absolutely no getting rid of it. I'm hoping that passing it on to others
will rid me of this nightmarish ditty.

Scott