Photos from Central Oregon

Old June 24th, 2005, 05:17 AM
JR

Default Photos from Central Oregon

Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes. A good number
of fish: small rainbows and brookies in the riffles, larger brookies and
whitefish in the deeper holes. Took some dinks on a tiny Adams, but most
of the fish liked olive soft hackles and (especially) beadhead pheasant
tails.

A yellow-rumped warbler started following me downstream from one
mid-stream deadfall to another for half an hour or so.... let me approach
him to ten feet or so.... toward the end, he seemed almost like a pet....
very cool, I thought.

Brookies are non-native, so I knocked two of the 12-inchers on the head
for dinner. They were delicious.

Stopped at a small lake on the way home and took a dip to cool off.
Ahhhhh....

Not much of a report, but here are a few photos:

Upstream: http://tinyurl.com/aueq4

Downstream: http://tinyurl.com/9jmfj

Well-chewed: http://tinyurl.com/858q5

Day's best: http://tinyurl.com/by35x

Dinner: http://tinyurl.com/ddyru

Swimmin hole: http://tinyurl.com/drl9e

JR
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Wayne Harrison

"JR" wrote in message ...
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

just another day in paradise, right, jr?

great display of a wonderful place to live.

not many scenes make me consider moving from the old north state, but
that comes close.

yfitons
wayno

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:16 AM
JR

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"JR" wrote in message ...
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

just another day in paradise, right, jr?

great display of a wonderful place to live.

not many scenes make me consider moving from the old north state, but
that comes close.

Hmmm, maybe the Chamber of Commerce should put me on the payroll....

But, truth be told, and fishing aside, this place is decidedly less nice
than when I moved here, and hugely less nice than when I first saw it a
few decades ago. Cancerous growth. Another ten years, it'll be
indistinguishable from much of California.

On the bright side, I'm bringing a bit of the best of what remains (a
load of Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale Ale) to the Slide Inn on
the 10th....

JR
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM
rw

JR wrote:

Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

Nice TR and photos, JR. Your swimming hole reminded me of a lake I often
fish:

http://home.earthlink.net/~royalwulff/web/ch1.jpg

It supposedly has lunker brookies, although I've never caught one. A
neighboring lake has very decent sized brook trout.

This lake has more-than-decent holdover rainbows which also make a nice
dinner:

http://home.earthlink.net/~royalwulff/web/ch2.jpg

Their bellies are full of leeches and, not surprisingly, I usually catch
them on deep purple woolly buggers, but the dry fly fishing can be
satisfying (or more typically frustrating) in the evening.

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM
bugcaster

"JR" wrote in message ...
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

My brother is at Lapine SP for a week or so, you might bump into him (Dodge
Hemi quad PU). I wish I were there. Working and looking at those photos is
a killer.

bugcaster

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Tim J.

JR wrote:
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

snip
Nice - I especially like the brookie photos. I haven't seen one over 8
inches this year, so it's nice to see they still make 'em regular size.

--
TL,
Tim

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Tim J.

JR wrote:
Wayne Harrison wrote:
"JR" wrote in message
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

snip
not many scenes make me consider moving from the old north
state, but that comes close.

Hmmm, maybe the Chamber of Commerce
should put me on the payroll....

.. . . or maybe they should put you on a rail and run you out of town.
;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Jeff Miller

JR wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote:

"JR" wrote in message ...

Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes.

just another day in paradise, right, jr?

great display of a wonderful place to live.

not many scenes make me consider moving from the old north state, but
that comes close.

Hmmm, maybe the Chamber of Commerce should put me on the payroll....

But, truth be told, and fishing aside, this place is decidedly less nice
than when I moved here, and hugely less nice than when I first saw it a
few decades ago. Cancerous growth. Another ten years, it'll be
indistinguishable from much of California.

On the bright side, I'm bringing a bit of the best of what remains (a
load of Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale Ale) to the Slide Inn on
the 10th....

JR

um, since wayno has the good manners to avoid fine brew when in the
company of beer-swilling swine like me...might i trouble you by placing
an order for 6 of each, with reimbursement to be made in the evening
hours by the madison at the slide inn? i need to increase my stock of
ready liquids as danl has indicated he'll be foraging.

jeff

jeff
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
DaveMohnsen

"JR" wrote in message ...
Had a nice day on the uppermost section of the Deschutes. A good number
of fish: small rainbows and brookies in the riffles, larger brookies and
whitefish in the deeper holes.
JR

Hi JR,
Thanks for TR and pics. The brookies there seen to have a growth problem.
(uhh . . .they are bigger than the one's I seem to catch here)
And you swimmin' hole looks more like a fishin' hole to me.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old June 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Joe McIntosh

"JR" wrote
just another day in paradise, right, jr?

great display of a wonderful place to live.

not many scenes make me consider moving from the old north state, but
that comes close.

On the bright side, I'm bringing a bit of the best of what remains (a
load of Black Butte Porter and Mirror Pond Pale Ale) to the Slide Inn on
the 10th....

Jeff and Ij will be two cabins upstram sitting on the back porch JR waiting
for you to arrive.