Cracked Rod

Old March 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Cracked Rod

Hello all,

I'm new to fishing and I'd appreciate some advice. I've been given a 12ft
graphite beach caster rod. Unfortunately it has a slight crack in it. The lowest
eye for the line attaches to the rod in two places, at the higher of those two
places I can see a small crack along side and at the bottom of where the metal
runs under the surface of the rod. Is this a serious problem, or an easy repair?

TIA,

Chade.

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

hi chade

it dependes how bad it is, is it a crack in the glaze or the rod blank
itself? Is the crack spreading around the rod. you will need to remove the
eye to see the full damage. you could try using araldite if it's a small
crack - you could you could cut it in half and insert a carbon spigot cut
from an old rod and glued in with araldite make sure it's a tight fit ( that
's if its in the bottom part of the rod) and then place a larger sleeve cut
from an older rod over the join or whip over it with whipping cotton.
however this can affect the rod action. finally you could take to a tackle
shop who do repairs and get a quote - if it's an expensive rod it maybe
worth it.

Regards

colin sloanes

Old March 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Hi Chade
Firstly a "slight crack" is a bit like being only slightly pregnant!
Seriously tho, are the cracks you describe actualy in the rod or are they in
the whippings which actualy hold the rings onto the rod?
Tight Lines
Keith M

Old March 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

In article , KeithM
wrote:
Hi Chade
Firstly a "slight crack" is a bit like being only slightly pregnant!
Seriously tho, are the cracks you describe actualy in the rod or are they in
the whippings which actualy hold the rings onto the rod?

OK, to clarify the above: Here's an ascii art representation of a common
type of rod-ring fitting - X-ray view. Another common type has just one
foot, they're not as strong but lighter and less likely to cause cracking.

(You may have to display this in a monospaced 'typewriter' fount.)

| |
| | 'Bare' (maybe varnished) rod
| |
|------|
| /\ | Metal ring-foot under thread whipping
|--++--| thick, glossy, epoxy or varnish.
| / \ |
========== Ring - the rod is usually bare here too
| \ / |
|--++--|
| \/ | thicker here.
|------|
| |
| |

IF the crack(s) are in the thicker layer covering the ring foot then it's
not serious. The glossy epoxy is mostly cosmetic, it's the thread or tube
that does the work. It would be at least as strong if the epoxy were
replaced with thin varnish or a smear of waterproof glue. Ignore cracks
until the epoxy begins to come off then crack off the rest and varnish with
polyurethane. At worst you'll have to rewhip that ring-foot. It won't be
as pretty but it'll work just as well.

IF the crack is in the bare rod material, the blank, then unless it is a
particularly valued rod you'd be better scrapping it.

If the crack appears to be in the bare rod blank just check with your
fingernail - sometimes there's a layer of varnish here too. Modern
materials don't need varnishing whereas it was essential on older cane rods.
The rod will work perfectly well without and the fish won't get to see the
damage until it's far too late for them to criticise.

Cheerio,

Old March 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Hey Derek
That illustration was damned clever.
"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , KeithM
wrote:
Hi Chade
Firstly a "slight crack" is a bit like being only slightly pregnant!
Seriously tho, are the cracks you describe actualy in the rod or are they
in
the whippings which actualy hold the rings onto the rod?

OK, to clarify the above: Here's an ascii art representation of a common
type of rod-ring fitting - X-ray view. Another common type has just one
foot, they're not as strong but lighter and less likely to cause cracking.

(You may have to display this in a monospaced 'typewriter' fount.)

| |
| | 'Bare' (maybe varnished) rod
| |
|------|
| /\ | Metal ring-foot under thread whipping
|--++--| thick, glossy, epoxy or varnish.
| / \ |
========== Ring - the rod is usually bare here too
| \ / |
|--++--|
| \/ | thicker here.
|------|
| |
| |

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

In article , Derek.Moody says...

In article , KeithM
wrote:
Hi Chade
Firstly a "slight crack" is a bit like being only slightly pregnant!
Seriously tho, are the cracks you describe actualy in the rod or are they in
the whippings which actualy hold the rings onto the rod?

OK, to clarify the above: Here's an ascii art representation of a common
type of rod-ring fitting - X-ray view. Another common type has just one
foot, they're not as strong but lighter and less likely to cause cracking.

(You may have to display this in a monospaced 'typewriter' fount.)

| |
| | 'Bare' (maybe varnished) rod
| |
|------|
| /\ | Metal ring-foot under thread whipping
|--++--| thick, glossy, epoxy or varnish.
| / \ |
========== Ring - the rod is usually bare here too
| \ / |
|--++--|
| \/ | thicker here.
|------|
| |
| |

IF the crack(s) are in the thicker layer covering the ring foot then it's
not serious. The glossy epoxy is mostly cosmetic, it's the thread or tube
that does the work. It would be at least as strong if the epoxy were
replaced with thin varnish or a smear of waterproof glue. Ignore cracks
until the epoxy begins to come off then crack off the rest and varnish with
polyurethane. At worst you'll have to rewhip that ring-foot. It won't be
as pretty but it'll work just as well.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. The crack is in the glossy epoxy around the ring foot.
It's deepest where the ring foot touches the rod, just below the whipping, but I
can feel it with my nail along the side of the foot a little way up the
whipping. From what you've said it sounds as if it's not that serious.

Thanks,

C.

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

In article , Colin Sloanes says...

hi chade

it dependes how bad it is, is it a crack in the glaze or the rod blank
itself? Is the crack spreading around the rod. you will need to remove the
eye to see the full damage. you could try using araldite if it's a small
crack - you could you could cut it in half and insert a carbon spigot cut
from an old rod and glued in with araldite make sure it's a tight fit ( that
's if its in the bottom part of the rod) and then place a larger sleeve cut
from an older rod over the join or whip over it with whipping cotton.
however this can affect the rod action. finally you could take to a tackle
shop who do repairs and get a quote - if it's an expensive rod it maybe
worth it.

Regards

colin sloanes

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. It's a crack in the epoxy/varnish along side the ring
foot.

C.