Peacock herl

Old March 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Peacock herl

I'm tying up some flies and I need a peacock herl rope. I dislike
making my own (spinning/twisting the herl onto either thread or wire).
Someone on this group recently referred to some store-bought peacock
rope. I've googled and can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Mar 27, 4:29*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
I'm tying up some flies and I need a peacock herl rope. *I dislike
making my own (spinning/twisting the herl onto either thread or wire). *
Someone on this group recently referred to some store-bought peacock
rope. *I've googled and can't find it. *Any help would be appreciated..

Dave

If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-28 11:49:36 -0400, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

On Mar 27, 4:29Â*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
I'm tying up some flies and I need a peacock herl rope. Â*I dislike
making my own (spinning/twisting the herl onto either thread or wire).

Â*
Someone on this group recently referred to some store-bought peacock
rope. Â*I've googled and can't find it. Â*Any help would be appreciated

.

Dave

If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)

d;o) Have both, Frank. The Norvise is permanently attached to my fly
tying station, and I use the Renzetti for traveling. Regardless, I
still have to make the rope and I just do not like to do it. But, just
for you, I will acquiesce and try it on the Norvise. I'll get some new
herl too. The stuff I have looks good, but breaks too often. Fly
tying is supposed to be fun.

Dave
(Third day stuck on the mountain within the clouds. It isn't raining
in the valley, but there has been a constant mist up here for the past
two days. Neat, really.)

Old March 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)

You actually use one of those things ? I saw Norm himself
demonstrating the Norvise at a fly fishing show in Frisco.
I kinda felt sorry for the guy because nobody was stopping
at his booth, so I stopped and watched him do his demo. It
never occurred to me to actually buy one of those contraptions
and I'm somewhat surprised they're still around all these
20+ years later.

--
Ken Fortenberry - (Regal purist but not a snob about it ;-)
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-28 12:24:42 -0400, Ken Fortenberry
said:

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)

You actually use one of those things ? I saw Norm himself
demonstrating the Norvise at a fly fishing show in Frisco.
I kinda felt sorry for the guy because nobody was stopping
at his booth, so I stopped and watched him do his demo. It
never occurred to me to actually buy one of those contraptions
and I'm somewhat surprised they're still around all these
20+ years later.

If only he knew. Right, Frank?

Old March 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

*
[...]

two days. *Neat, really.)- Hide quoted text -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPTZjmKwpQ

Cheers
Frank
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On 2011-03-28 12:24:42 -0400, Ken Fortenberry
said:

Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)

You actually use one of those things ? I saw Norm himself
demonstrating the Norvise at a fly fishing show in Frisco.
I kinda felt sorry for the guy because nobody was stopping
at his booth, so I stopped and watched him do his demo. It
never occurred to me to actually buy one of those contraptions
and I'm somewhat surprised they're still around all these
20+ years later.

If only he knew. *Right, Frank?

Dave

Too hard to learn. Too expensive. Too big.
I've heard them all, damn thing pretty much takes out the drudge work.
Frank Reid
(and if anyone would ever want Drudge to be gone, it would be Forty)
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
D. LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry said:
Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
If you used a Norvise, ...

You actually use one of those things ?...

If only he knew. Right, Frank?

Too hard to learn. Too expensive. Too big.
I've heard them all, damn thing pretty much takes out the drudge work.
Frank Reid
(and if anyone would ever want Drudge to be gone, it would be Forty)

I don't know, the Norvise just strikes me as some sort of
Rube Golberg contraption. Yeah sure, you can have a pinball
hit the match that lights the candle that burns the string
that holds the weight above the walnut you want to crack.
Or you can just crack the damn thing with a nutcracker.

I suppose if you're a production tier it might have some
value but to a ten-twenty dozen a year guy like me I don't
see the need. YMMV

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old March 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Mar 28, 2:14*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

D. LaCourse wrote:
Ken Fortenberry said:
Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
If you used a Norvise, ...

You actually use one of those things ?...

If only he knew. *Right, Frank?

Too hard to learn. *Too expensive. *Too big.
I've heard them all, damn thing pretty much takes out the drudge work.
Frank Reid
(and if anyone would ever want Drudge to be gone, it would be Forty)

I don't know, the Norvise just strikes me as some sort of
Rube Golberg contraption. Yeah sure, you can have a pinball
hit the match that lights the candle that burns the string
that holds the weight above the walnut you want to crack.
Or you can just crack the damn thing with a nutcracker.

I suppose if you're a production tier it might have some
value but to a ten-twenty dozen a year guy like me I don't
see the need. YMMV

--
Ken Fortenberry

I like it for the ease of doing things like Dave is going to do,
strengthening hackle or herl to make a more resilient fly. Speed is
also an issue. Many of the simple tasks are much cleaner and more
uniform done on the Nor Vise.
In actuality, due to the board setup, I've found that my vise stays
put together longer. I tie more flies.
Frank Reid
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-28 11:49:36 -0400, Frank Reid 2010 said:

On Mar 27, 4:29Â*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
I'm tying up some flies and I need a peacock herl rope. Â*I dislike
making my own (spinning/twisting the herl onto either thread or wire).
Â*
Someone on this group recently referred to some store-bought peacock
rope. Â*I've googled and can't find it. Â*Any help would be apprecia

ted
.

Dave

If you used a Norvise, you would have the appropriate tool to make
this quickly and efficiently instead of spending hours on-line trying
to purchase premade.
:-)
Frank Reid
(stickin' it to the Renzetti snobs every chance he gets)

d;o) Â*Have both, Frank. Â*The Norvise is permanently attached to my fl

tying station, and I use the Renzetti for traveling. Â*Regardless, I
still have to make the rope and I just do not like to do it. Â*But, just
for you, I will acquiesce and try it on the Norvise. Â*I'll get some new
herl too. Â*The stuff I have looks good, but breaks too often. Â*Fly
tying is supposed to be fun.

Dave
(Third day stuck on the mountain within the clouds. Â*It isn't raining
in the valley, but there has been a constant mist up here for the past
two days. Â*Neat, really.)- Hide quoted text -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPTZjmKwpQ

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank. I'm familiar with his videos. But look at this:

http://www.ezflyfish.com/peacherbrus.html

Old Wally comes thru again. It's not only easier, but my language will
improve. d;o)