Anybody going to this tournament?

Old February 8th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Elroy Willis

Default Anybody going to this tournament?

Anybody planning on going to the tournament talked about
in the article below?

========

ORLANDO (EAP) -- Bass fishermen from around the country are gathering
in Orlando this week to test out a new fishing lure which is shaped
like Jesus on the cross. The lure includes a sound module which emits
a whining noise and seems to attract fish by the droves.

Kim Willis, marketing director for Lawson Sports Products,
manufacturer of the new lure says "This could be the most profitable
fishing lure we've come up with in the last 10 years."

"I've never seen anything like it before," said Jimmy Houston,
professional fisherman who tested a prototype of the new lure. "The
cross shape causes the lure to twist around in the water, and in
combination with the whining sounds the lure produces, it makes for
the most effective lure I've ever used," he said.

"Even the baby smallmouth bass seem to go after it. I accidentally
dropped one of the lures into my minnow bucket, and all of the minnows
immediately swam towards it at the bottom of the bucket."

A contest is under way to determine which variation of the lure is the
most effective in the Orlando area. Testers of the lure are given
several color combinations to choose from, and are encouraged to try
them all out to see which one is the most effective.

"I'm leaning towards the blood red cross," says Joel Myers, who thinks
the fish will be attracted to the color of blood. "I could be wrong,
but that's what I'm going to try first," he said.

"I'm gonna start out with a bright yellow one," said another fisherman
who drove all the way from Chicago to participate in the contest.

The sound module for the lure has several settings also, which when
combined with the different available colors allows for many different
combinations of lure design.

"Our goal is to determine which combination is the most effective in
the Orlando area," said Mrs. Willis.

The winner of the contest will be the one who has caught the most
fish. Not the total weight of all of the fish, as is common in many
fishing tournaments, but the total number of fish regardless of their
individual sizes and weights.

The winner of the contest will receive a lifetime supply of the new
lure and $100,000 in cash.

Several religious groups in the area have attempted to stop production
of these new lures and the tournament itself, stating that they make a
mockery of Jesus on the cross, but they've failed to stop the many
fishermen who are anxious to try out the new lure and claim the prize.

"If people can be lured in by the figure of a man on a cross, then we
feel that fish should be no different. That's why I think this
particular lure is doing so well," Willis said.

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound