austrlia vs america vs canada

Old August 21st, 2010, 04:32 AM posted to aus.services.defence,rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.food.cooking,aus.sport.shooting,aus.politics.guns
[email protected]

Default austrlia vs america vs canada

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:32:59 -0700 (PDT), Peter Lucas
wrote:

Going straight to the point, everyone owning a gun for 'self defense'
is exactly why so many frikken people get shot dead in america all the
time.

Michael Moore missed the point in Bowling For Columbine (perhaps
intentionally). He compared Canada to the US, saying that everyone has
guns in Canada but the murder rate is really low. He concluded that
the difference was the US media. I’m pretty sure that the real
difference is that Canadians have hunting rifles to murder innocent
animals, whereas Americans have handguns and sub-machine guns which
they specifically own for 'protecting themselves 'by shooting other
people.

Well, your "pretty sure" is worng...but don't let facts stand in the
way of your ideas.

When everyone is allowed to own a handgun for any reason, your chances
of getting shot are far far higher, and your chances of getting killed
by an attacker are massively increased if that attacker has ready
access to a gun. In America your hypothetical armed criminal will
almost certainly be armed with a handgun or wors

Wrong again - but again, don't let facts bother you.

e, in Australia the
chances of someone with a gun breaking into your house are practically
zero. I’d rather take the risk of the slim chance of being attacked by
a crazy dude with a knife

Of course otyu would. And after he finishes with your wife and
daughter, you can drop your trousers, bend over and be dessert.

, than live in a society where every crazy
dude is walking around with a pistol or an uzi.

And again, don't let facts get in the way of your ideas.

One person was shot dead in Melbourne recently, and it was HUGE news
because it happens so rarely.
There was a long-running mafia war going on here which saw gangsters
shooting gangsters, but usually members of the general public are
pretty safe from gun violence in this country.
You’re so lucky you can own a gun for self defense, because ordinary
US citizens get shot dead in massive numbers every day.

And I have to say I’ve racked my brain, and I just can’t work out how
owning a gun is going to help you survive a flood, earthquake or
cyclone.

That's because you have a pretty small brain.

Or are you referring to the coming apocalypse when you talk
about a 'natural disaster'?

Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I support the Greens, and I hope you do too:
http://greens.org.au
www.qld.greens.org.au
www.greenpeace.org.au