Nothin Small About My Smallie

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:45 AM
go-bassn

Default Nothin Small About My Smallie

Went prefishin today as Thundercat's coming down Sunday for some bed-fishing
lessons. I was scanning a shoreline when I saw a huge bed in about 8 feet
of water. It was clearly a smallmouth bed as the LM beds in this lake look
entirely different & are generally shallower. There was an ominous dark
shape on the bed, but at first I thought it too big to be a bass. A carp
maybe?

I flipped my 3" Zoom Tube on the bed & was thrilled to see the fish rush it
immediately. No carp baby! I felt a solid thump on my line & set the hook,
nothing. I reeled in & fixed the tube, dipped in in Smelly Jelly & pitched
it back to the center of the bed. This time I just held my rod still with a
semi-tight line & it slowly moved off to the right. I set hard & the big
gal launched about a foot out of the water. She was huge, easily the
biggest smallie I've ever hooked.

After a breif battle I landed her. Sadly I had no scales but she may have
gone 7 pounds, 6 at least. Made my day, ok my week. What a gorgeous fish.
Hopefully she'll still be there when Harry comes down Sunday.

Warren 8-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Welcome to the seven pound SM club Warren!
Mine was 7.2 on a digital scale, opening day, two or three year ago now.
I think I told you about it at the time it happened, awesome isn't it!
--
Stony

"go-bassn" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:49 AM
go-bassn

All I could do was hold it in amazement Steve, I know what you mean brother.
This lake's bben kicking out some 5's the last few years, I hope the growth
continues. I only wish I was filming when that girl went airborne, that was
awesome. Talk about strong!

Warren

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
John Kerr

Awww, the fun of that "special moment"! That's what we spend all the
other hours getting ready for, hu Warren? Nice fish guy!
John

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

I understand everything you say here and even the things you just can't put
into words, I hear ya palamio!!! I hear ya! Great isn't it? Thanks for the
memories too! How many guys can say they have a +7lb smallie under their
belt in this whole world? Not too many! I let her go too, just as you did,
a very special landmark in my fishing career. I have some huge Lms (off the
N.A. continent) under my belt but they pail in comparison to the 7 smallie.
Truly the pinnacle fish of my life so far. I remember measuring a 28 1/4"
smallie my dad caught when I was a teenager like it was yesterday. I just
can't get enough of big bass!
--
Stony

Old May 15th, 2004, 12:56 AM
go-bassn

28.25??!! OMG!

I'm thinking about a replica mount Steve.

Warren

Old May 15th, 2004, 12:56 AM
go-bassn

lol John, not to mention $$$$$$$...

WW;-)

Old May 15th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Lure builder

I understand everything you say here and even the things you just can't put
into words, I hear ya palamio!!! I hear ya! Great isn't it? Thanks for the
memories too! How many guys can say they have a +7lb smallie under their
belt in this whole world? Not too many! I let her go too, just as you did,
a very special landmark in my fishing career. I have some huge Lms (off the
N.A. continent) under my belt but they pail in comparison to the 7 smallie.
Truly the pinnacle fish of my life so far. I remember measuring a 28 1/4"
smallie my dad caught when I was a teenager like it was yesterday. I just
can't get enough of big bass!
--
Stony

Stony
Did you catch that fish in Stony lake Stony. I've seen that lake on passing
through the lovesick lake side. There is quite a nice development right on
Stony Lake. I asked the lad with the beard at the baitshop and he said fishing
is the ****s there by the rocks but better way down the lake. Where on the
Stony lake Stony did you catch the 7lb+ smallie
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Ya, the good old days, we ate it, if I only knew!
Skin mounts were too much money for my dad then but he still wishes he had
of.
That fish could have been twenty-five years old.
Replica mount......ya, I should, shouldn't I!
--
Stony

"go-bassn" wrote in message
All I could do was hold it in amazement Steve, I know what you mean

brother.
This lake's bben kicking out some 5's the last few years, I hope the

growth
continues. I only wish I was filming when that girl went airborne,

that
was
awesome. Talk about strong!

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Steve & Chris Clark" wrote in

message

&

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

No, sadly it was not but it was in a very, very small spring fed lake in the
area near Port Carling called Henshaw Lake. Just a puddle of a lake. My
grand parents had a friend that owned a cottage on that lake. My dad and I
(when I was a kid) caught fish every night for a week just on surface baits
trolled behind a row boat a hundred feet or so just after dusk. This lake
was stocked according to the locals by the ministry back in the forties and
no one ever fished it. It contained lots of big fish and still may. Me and
my brother-in-law went to this lake for a couple of days, a few years back
and gave the lake a go for old time sake, sure enough there are still some
whoppers in there. I found they like the soft plastics now though. We were
told that no one fishes this lake because there are no fish in it. "Just wee
ones". I had people out on that lake fishing after the first day I was
there, after bringing in several good sized smallies a couple over four
pounds for them to see. I did lose a big one that I often think I want to go
back and get one day ;-) Excellent lake for a canoe.
--
Stony