Fishing for Largemouth Bass

Old March 10th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Lloyd Sumpter

Default Fishing for Largemouth Bass

Hi,

We're having a fish-in in April targeting the (illegally-stocked)
largemouth bass in the Vancouver area.

I've never fished for bass befo any hints? And do I need a 225hp
boat and do I need to dress like a NASCAR driver?

Lloyd

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:46:10 +0000, Karl Pollak wrote:

x-no-archive: yes
Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

We're having a fish-in in April targeting the (illegally-stocked)
largemouth bass in the Vancouver area.

Where?

Fraser Valley:
Okanagan:
Kootenays:

Lloyd, I am a bit confused here. The list that you posted looks more like
infestation than just a case of illegal stocking. Surely if the species are
in so many places, the government would have noticed this before and doen
something about it?

Ok, I'll try to explain what's going on here.

There's an organized group of individuals who are lobbying to introduce
bass as a sport fish in BC. They have illegally stocked many lakes and
sloughs and have successfully lobbies the DFO to have bass mentioned as a
"sport fish" in the regs. (so yes, we need a license. We'd need one
anyway, because you can't FISH without one. You can't say "Oh, but
Officer, I was fishing for pikeminnows, so I don't need a license...")

BTW: there are so many places mentioned because, well, they're all kinda
connected together. Introduce them in one lake, and soon they migrate to
any other lakes or streams in the area. I suspect there aren't many bass
in the Fraser itself because first, the water stays pretty cold, and
second, there are some BIG fish there that would probably eat bass.

Another BTW: It's illegal in BC for ANYONE except the Govt to transport
live fish from one body of water to another. In fact, livewells are
illegal in freshwater - you must either kill or release any fish you catch.

Now, there's also a semi-organized group of individuals who do NOT want
bass in BC. We're happy with the sport fish we have here already, and have
seen the results of introducing non-native species in an ecology,
especially without proper studies.

So, the "fish-in" is mainly an opportunity just to have some fun, but also
to bring "our side" of the story to the attention of others. I doubt that
4 fish each will do any damage to the bass population...

Lloyd

Old March 15th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Pat Drummond

I am xposting this to can.rec.fishing so everyone can get involved...
Would you like me to post this in http://BoatinginCanada.com/news.html?

Lloyd Sumpter said the following on 05-03-11 10:09 am:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:19 +0000, Karl Pollak wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

We're having a fish-in in April targeting the (illegally-stocked)
largemouth bass in the Vancouver area.

Where?

Fraser Valley:
• Mill Lake - Abbotsford B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Hatzic Lake - Mission B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Chadsey Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Sturgeon Slough - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Brunette River - Coquitlam, B.C. - (rumored) Largemouth Bass
• Judson Lake - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Pepin Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• N. Alouette River - Pitt Meadows, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Fish Trap Creek - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Glochester Ponds - Aldergrove, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• West Creek - Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Salmon River - Fort Langley, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Kawkawa Lake - Hope, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass (few)
• Albert Dyck Park - Abbotsford, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Widgeon Creek (also mentioned in the thread)
• Walmsley Lake, Abbotsford (LM) from WCBA site
• Boundary Lake, Abbotsford (LM) from WCBA site
• Laxton Lake, Abbotsford (LM) from WCBA site

Okanagan:
• Osoyoos Lake - near town of Osoyoos, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
• Skaha Lake - near Penticton and Okanagan Falls, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
• Vaseux Lake - S. of Okanagan Falls, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
• Deadman Lake - N. of Osoyoos, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
• Okanagan River - From Okanagan Lake to Osoyoos Lake - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass

Kootenays:
• Duck Lake - North of Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Christina Lake - 22 km. E. of Grand Forks, B.C. - Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
• Kootenay Lake Flats - S. end of lake near Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Summit Creek (slough) - W. of Creston, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Jim Smith Lake - 7 km. SW. of Cranbrook, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Baynes Lake - 11 km. SW. of Elko, B.C. - Largemouth Bass
• Tie Lake - N. of Jaffray, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass

Lloyd

--
Pat's Boating in Canada: http://BoatinginCanada.com
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
spoonplugger

skip the Kootenays still frozen
and it is not an organized group that is stocking the bass
they actually have no idea who is doing it
also bass is a sport fish in BC, obviously if they are being stocked
illegally with very little being done to stop it or no real investigation
into who is doing it.
there is very little being done to stop it,why? because they are fun to
catch and they are very popular here in the Kootenays.
the group that is lobbying is the west coast bass club
they speak out against illeagal stocking but they have been lobbying for
better regs on bass for sometime.
I participated in the first government meeting to set up regs for bass in BC
back in 1991 the stocking had not yet started and was not a problem then
they believe it started in the late 1990's.
it is unfortunate that people dont see them as a worthy gamefish they are
pretty much everything a fisherman wants in a fish tough and nasty fighters
and supposedly they taste great, never eaten one myself.

Wayne