Best tippet systems?

Old July 13th, 2010, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

Default Best tippet systems?

On Jul 13, 3:52*am, Injun Joe wrote:
On Jul 13, 3:53*am, riverman wrote:

On Jul 13, 2:07*am, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

OK, first sampling, it doesn't sound the folks who have responded
don't use any sort of holder or anything, but just keep the spools in
their vest. The reason for this post is that I use a tippet holder
that clips on my vest, but the damn thing seems to always be in the
way (line getting twisted around it, interfering wtih packing the
vest, etc). However, if I were to just put the spools in my pocket,
they would take up a ton of room: I carry a small spool each of 2x
through 7x mono, and also 5x and 6x fluoro. I suppose I could keep all
these in my gear box, and just take out what I need for that day's
outing, but that's one more thing to forget, and I sometimes tie up a
tapered leader on the river, so I might need a little of most of
these.

Of all the 'systems' involved in ff (how to carry your net, how to
carry flies, etc etc), the tippet spool thing is the one I am furthest
from finding the best solution to.

Oh that, and How To Catch Fish.

--riverman

Joe the Elder offers----for trout fishing *just stick a spool of 5k
and 6x in your vest pocket---buy 9ft leaders and don"t add tippett
until you have worked them down to 7 feet for small streams--seems to
work

YO

been doin' that since the 60's

simplifies things a bunch

cheers

oz
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

On 7/13/10 1:53 AM, riverman wrote:

I carry a small spool each of 2x
through 7x mono, and also 5x and 6x fluoro. I suppose I could keep all
these in my gear box, and just take out what I need for that day's
outing, but that's one more thing to forget, and I sometimes tie up a
tapered leader on the river, so I might need a little of most of
these.

Everyone has his own preferences, but for my part I don't carry nearly
that much tippet -- maybe three or at most four spools. I like to keep
my vest light and compact, and ideally I won't wear a vest at all. One
shirt pocket for a fly box and one for tippet, lead, floatant, and
indicators will usually work. I find that fishing light and free of
unnecessary gear is more pleasurable.

I also think that store-bought tapered leaders are the way to go. I
usually buy 7 1/2 foot 2x or 3x and then add 4x or 5x tippet, but I'll
use 9 foot leaders, too.

Old July 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jul 13, 2:08*pm, rw wrote:
[...]

I'm with you.

Last time below the dam, I waded wet in Teva's, shorts, green T-shirt,
and a fanny pack with two small flyboxes, one 7x spool, clippers, and
my necessary 3.5 diopter dollar store specs.

Guess I'm a barbarian, but:

1. my newest rod is a 4-piece I couldn't resist six years ago in the
bargain bin at (I'm sorry, Jesus) Bass Pro.

2. my other eight fly rods, from six to nine ft. and my four spinning
rods -- two from fly blanks -- are 30 yr old home-builds

3. my waders, other than clunky neoprenes for REALLYcold days, are $25
hippers that I throw away when they leak (actually, I cut them off for
yard boots)

4. my flies will not win beauty contests -- but catch fish (I buy the
itsy-bitsy tailwater flies, as these creaky hands and old eyes can't
tie them any more).

Growing up in trout country -- WY and CO -- I never got into the
"clothes and equipment" thaaang. I just waded wet, tied bushy
caddis', and caught fish. It has carried over.

If I couldn't reach deer, elk, or (hardly) antelope with my 30-30, I
got them with my 270. -- no "magnums". Never had a head mounted, but
ate well.

About the only hi-tek thing I stay up with is the slicker and slicker
lines (and breathable rein gear), although a paraffin candle and a
cotton sock will polish up almost any old line to shoot like a
howitzer.

hokay....enough preaching

cheers

oz, laid back
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jul 12, 8:56*pm, rw wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:34 PM, riverman wrote:

On Jul 13, 2:09 am, *wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

How many do you carry at a time, rw?

It depends on where I'm fishing.

Have you ever imagined how life might be different with an
imagination?

g.
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

On Jul 13, 2:09 am, wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

How many do you carry at a time, rw?

It depends on where I'm fishing.

Have you ever imagined how life might be different with an
imagination?

g.

So you have that itch again. It must be unbearable.

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jul 13, 2:09 am, * *wrote:
On 7/12/10 6:07 PM, riverman wrote:

What have folks found for the best way to store their tippet in their
vest (or chest pack) so that its easily accessible and dispensable?

--riverman

I put the spools in a pocket. Duh.

How many do you carry at a time, rw?

It depends on where I'm fishing.

Have you ever imagined how life might be different with an
imagination?

g.

So you have that itch again. It must be unbearable.

Considering the source, that's very funny.

You should know by now that there is no salve for that lfelong itch.

g.
but then, the boy just WILL NOT learn.