Fishing super clear streams.

Old November 24th, 2003, 03:32 PM
CR

Default Fishing super clear streams.

Any suggestions for fishing super clear streams? I'm not having much
luck. I'm using 6lb flourescent blue mono. Wading quietly from
downstream (casting upstream). Here are the the baits I've tried:

- Black 4" sliders with 1/16 oz slider heads, worked slowly with
little action.

- Black 2" grubs with 1/16 oz slider heads, worked slowly.

- #9 rapala twitched on top.

- 4" senkos, worked slowly.

- 4" tubes.

- small single blade spinnerbaits with a steady retrieve.

I read that 5" super flukes are good for really clear water. And to
work it fast. I'm starting to think that I need to speed up my
presentations so the fish can't get a good look at the bait. What
about flourocarbon line?

Any ideas?

Chuck.
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Thundercat

On 24 Nov 2003 07:32:48 -0800, (CR) wrote:

Any suggestions for fishing super clear streams? I'm not having much
luck. I'm using 6lb flourescent blue mono. Wading quietly from
downstream (casting upstream). Here are the the baits I've tried:

- Black 4" sliders with 1/16 oz slider heads, worked slowly with
little action.

- Black 2" grubs with 1/16 oz slider heads, worked slowly.

- #9 rapala twitched on top.

- 4" senkos, worked slowly.

- 4" tubes.

- small single blade spinnerbaits with a steady retrieve.

I read that 5" super flukes are good for really clear water. And to
work it fast. I'm starting to think that I need to speed up my
presentations so the fish can't get a good look at the bait. What
about flourocarbon line?

Any ideas?

Chuck.

Although the streams I fish could be called anything other than
ultra-clear, I offer up the following suggestions (not gauranteed to
work, mind you):

3" Lunker City Hellgies on a 1/16 oz jig head (or as heavy as needed
to still work the bottom in the current) - Rich Z would most likely
have the best choice for a color selection

1/8 oz Acme Kastmaster

Any number of inline spinners like the Mepps Aglia or Bluefox plated
Vibrax

These suggestions are based on my interpretation of "stream" meaning
not to big, not too deep and not too swift. Basically something that
you would be able to wade the full span of in most places, and cast
the full width of given normal conditions.

Harry J. aka Thundercat
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:55 AM
go-bassn

I think the lures you're throwing are fine, but I'd kill the fl blue line.
Try fleurocarbon or low-vis green mono.

Warren
om...

Old November 25th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Rob Storm

On the slow-moving, clear streams of Central Texas, I've had good luck with
Zara Pups and wacky worms, both fished with 10 lb clear mono or with 20 lb
Power Pro and a 4-foot fluorocarbon leader.

But my favorite way to fish our Hill Country creeks is with a fly rod. Best
lures? #6 deer hair popper and (believe it or not) punkinseed-color four-inch
power worms. Not a usual bait for a fly rod, but very effective, rigged Texas
rig w/o sinker. Due to the wind resistance, a worm is hard to cast, but on
small streams you don't need to cast very far anyway.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:31 PM
G. M. Zimmermann

If your not haveing any luck at all, I would make the following adjustments:
Try 4lb mono.
Downsize your lures (3" senkos and tubes, #5 or #7 rapalas, etc.)
When useing spinners, don't use a steady retrieve. Add some rod tip twiches to
make the spinner dart eraticly (also good with rapalas) or reel at a steady
quick rate and suddenly slowing the reel for an instant when the lure is in a
good looking spot. This is a hard tecnique to explain but its been VERY
effective for me. What you want to do is have the spinner move along fairly
quick and steady and suddenly the spinnerbalde slows for two or three
revolutions and then speeds back up again. You dont want the spinner blade to
stop spinning entirely. When done right in close proximity to a fish, it
almost always draws strikes.

-Zimmy
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:03 PM
CR

"go-bassn" wrote in message ...

10-4. Just bought some green mono. I think I'm going to try a super
fluke type bait. Maybe something worked fast will bring reaction
strikes before they can get a good look at it and realize it's fake.

I think the lures you're throwing are fine, but I'd kill the fl blue line.
Try fleurocarbon or low-vis green mono.

Warren
om...

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Chris Rennert

Personally, I would stick with float fishing and run a Case Hellgie 2"
(natural colors) on a 16 ounce jighead.
Also I would spool with P-Line fluorocarbon (6lb) and use a 4lb fluoro
leader.
That is how I usually deal with that situation. Other baits I have had good
success with (float fishing for smallies in clear streams) are hair jigs, 1"
Berkley power tubes (natural colors), and 1" berkley craws (natural colors).

Good luck

Chris Rennert
om...

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:02 PM
Chris Rennert

sorry 16 ounces might be a little heavy, lets try a 1/16 ounce instead or
even a 1/32 ounce.

Chris
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
Personally, I would stick with float fishing and run a Case Hellgie 2"
(natural colors) on a 16 ounce jighead.
Also I would spool with P-Line fluorocarbon (6lb) and use a 4lb fluoro
leader.
That is how I usually deal with that situation. Other baits I have had

good
success with (float fishing for smallies in clear streams) are hair jigs,

1"
Berkley power tubes (natural colors), and 1" berkley craws (natural

colors).

Good luck

Chris Rennert
om...

Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:26 PM
CR

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message ...

Personally, I would stick with float fishing and run a Case Hellgie 2"
(natural colors) on a 16 ounce jighead.
Also I would spool with P-Line fluorocarbon (6lb) and use a 4lb fluoro
leader.
That is how I usually deal with that situation. Other baits I have had good
success with (float fishing for smallies in clear streams) are hair jigs, 1"
Berkley power tubes (natural colors), and 1" berkley craws (natural colors).

By float fishing do you mean in a float tube? The reason I ask is that
I had a crazy idea to try the float'n'fly technique on streams.
Actually I already tried it. I tied a 1/16 float'n'fly jig on my line,
then put a bobber about 3 feet up. I got upstream from a pool and cast
it out and kept the bail open to let it just drift in the current. It
looked like it might work but the conditions were bad so it wasn't a
really good test (water temp 47, super bright blue skies).
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Ken Fortenberry

CR wrote:

By float fishing do you mean in a float tube? The reason I ask is that
I had a crazy idea to try the float'n'fly technique on streams. ...

That's not only a crazy idea, it's downright dangerous. If there's
any current at all you do NOT want to be in a float tube. We're
talking life and death stuff here. Seriously.

--
Ken Fortenberry