New Gear/Downrigger

Old September 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM
Lloyd Sumpter

Default New Gear/Downrigger

For Salmon on the West Coast, anything under 10lb is pretty much "too
light". Even the flyfishers break out the heavy gear even for Coho.
Downrigger setup is usually 20-30lb line (LOTS of it - at LEAST 300
meters), Scotty downrigger with 200ft or so of cable, 10-12lb cannonball,
flashers, hoochies, spoons, or anchovies or herring.

For a reel, the levelwind "baitcasters" give you some mech. advantage (you
can reel in faster when the fish starts coming towards the boat), but the
old knucklebuster is much more fun!

Donno if you need this much for those wimpy East Coast salmon, though...

Lloyd

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:38:09 +0000, smiles wrote:

6 to 8 lb line is not "really light gear". Really light gear is more
like "2 to 4 lb test line. Ultra light is about 1 lb to 2 lb. I often use
3/4 lb and 1 lb test tippets on my fly leaders. I guess that is still in
the "ultra-light" category.
Anyway, for downriggers, I guess the 8 lb line would be ok. I don't see
any reason for any change in reels and line. Maybe a very long flexible rod
(downrigger rod) for the reels and lines you already have. As for lures,
the ones you have been using for bass, pike, walleye are perfect.
If you are fishing with a handful of other people (small scale party
boat), you can then use large level wind reels loaded with 20 lb test line
and horse the fish to the boat while the motor is still in gear so the lines
don't get mixed up (like we see on TV).

"M.E." wrote in message
Hey... I've been fishing for a number of years but just with really light
gear... 6-8lb test line and various lures with casting and small amounts

of
trolling. Just recently I purchased a boat and am now wanting to venture
into some of the bigger deeper fish... so... Over the winter I want to put
together my new collection of gear... I know the rods and reels I've been
using just aren't any good for what I wanna do so I need a new set of

those
as well... I'm in the Ontario area so most of it would be in Lake Erie for
Walleye, Salmon and whatever else bites I am basically looking at Rod,
Reel, Line, Downrigger and suggestions on lures as well..

I've seen both electric and manual downriggers and the more I read I think
I'm going to be wanting an electric one...

When replying by email please remove the obvious.