not much action

Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:01 AM
smiles

Default not much action

It sure has been quiet here this past year. I remember when this newsgroup
was formed. It was because we Canadians wanted a site of our own and there
were a bunch of people who had things to say. What happened? Where is
Lothar of the Hill People and Dan in the Bush??

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:52 PM
Gone Angling

Does anybody know where suick lures are sold?

Old November 24th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Dan in the Bush....

Dan in the bush is now in the Muskoka's of ontario getting foiled by
wretched rainbow trout and specks. He has been battling against bass and
spending a lot of time with his four year old, who amazes other dads with
his 70 foot casting abilities on an open face reel. (and he's been learning
to chip a golf ball out of sand to a higher degree of accuracy than his dad
as well.... sigh....)

Been an active summer, learning how to fish trout. Finding out that those
silly books that spoke of sneaking up on streams and using #12 to #16 hooks
weren't so silly after all. The fish up north we had weren't educated and I
could just walk up to the swamp-ponds using about a #6 hook and a worm and
catch dinner. Apparently the fish schools are better educated the further
south you go. And learned that my 6 foot medium action rod won't allow me to
use the ultra fine 3 lb test line I need as a leader either. Whenever the
'bow gets close to shore, it does the head shake thing that seems to tell me
"not today" and snaps the line. Rod isn't whippy enough to absorb the jerks
and I lose them. So this winter when I spend X-mas in niagara/hamilton
area, I will be looking for a noodle rod.

But met quite a few good people and a couple of real idiots, kept my cool
and had a pair of fisherment earn my respect when they finnished packing up
their gear from thier excellent day of fishing (ten feet from me while I got
skunked....) and promptly whipped out a couple garbage bags and set to work.
I was very impressed with that, as the harbor/ reserve that we were fishing
on didn't seem to care about picking up the garbage themselves. They even
hauled it away with a cheerful wave goodbye.

That's what's been keeping my days full lately.

And nobody's started any moronic threads about what size cannon they should
mount on their boat to protect themselves from the pirates on the great
slave lake or the erie canal marauders we are known for.

What have you been up to?

Dan in the bush....... (civilized Muskoka bush now.....)

Old November 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM
smiles

If you live in an area that has no musky or large pike fishing....suick
lures may be hard to find. They are expensive (15 to 20 dollars) Why not
make your own? Get some doweling from a hardware store or use a hockey
stick, some wire, some large high quality treble hooks, some long drill
bits, some primer and glossy oil paint. Have some fun. Make some huge
"Zara Spooks". With a bit of experimentation, you could even add a metal
lip at each end of the lure and make a "suick". I bet there are internet
sites that show how to do this.

Old November 24th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Rivers North

Moving last year has been terrible...imagine moving to a house on 2 acres of
land right on the Skeena River...I mean how much time does a man
have...between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
Kings,Sockeye,Steelhead, to August's Coho and Steelhead, to September's
Northern Coho and yes even bigger Steelhead, to October's Northerns and
Steelhead, to November's Rainbow and Steelhead, to December's Steelhead and
Dollies and on and on it goes...the only reason I am in the house today is
the weatherman...that asshole...arranged for our second snow fall in two
winters just yesterday...supposed to be raining tomorrow so it will be back
fishing by Wednesday....I will post a picture of my best Steelhead that I
managed to get a look at on alt.binaries.pictures.fishing peace gord p

Old November 25th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Sam Salmon

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:25:36 GMT, "Rivers North"
wrote:

..between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
Kings,

If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Rivers North

..between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
Kings,

If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha

Sam Salmon should know that the first people's word for Oncorhynchus
Tshawytcha is Tyee... which translated means King....I think the should be
called Sofa Kings...you know because they are So ****ing Huge...peace gord p

Old November 25th, 2003, 11:18 PM
F t B

"Rivers North" wrote in message
.between April 's early Kings to June's Coho, to July's
Kings,

If you mean Spring Salmon then say so-Canadians don't use the word
K*** for Oncorhynchus Tshawytcha

Sam Salmon should know that the first people's word for Oncorhynchus
Tshawytcha is Tyee... which translated means King....I think the should be
called Sofa Kings...you know because they are So ****ing Huge...peace gord

We call em' chinook or springs around here. Tyee is usually refered to a 40+
pound chinook.
King is an american term, but thankfully I'm not an american, so I'll stick
with chinook, spring and tyee.

Old November 26th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Gone Angling

Rivernorth
Do you fish close to where you live or do you have to travel up the river?