Mail ordering from the States

Old February 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Jim & Lil

Default Mail ordering from the States

Hello Group,
Are there any Canadians that buy from the States that could advise on this
question?
I haven't ordered any stuff from the USA for about ten years or so. I
USED to order a lot of stuff from the states and there was no real hassle at
all...it maybe took a few days longer as merchandise had to clear customs
etc...
I want to buy (mail order) some fishing stuff (hooks etc) and camping
stuff from Cabelas (all hardware items). I find there prices still cheaper
than Canada even after the exchange rate.
So my question is this ...
What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?
Are there any Canadians out there that could comment?

Thanks in advance for your replies....Regards...Jim

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Dan Hosek

"Jim & Lil" jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca wrote in
:

[...]

Not a Canadian, but I like to believe I'm one at heart (we cottage up on
the Rideau). I have had my marina order parts from the States, and other
than a longer lead-time, there didn't appear to be any hassle.

Also - Bass Pro Shops is opening a store in Ottawa, I believe. Not sure
of that is an option, but hey, trying to be helpful.

Old February 19th, 2004, 02:08 AM
The Moe Syzlak Experience \(featuring Homer\)

I have ordered several items from the US for my boat. I have never had a
problem.

--
The Moe Syzlak Experience (featuring Homer)
Windf*&ked AB

Old February 19th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Jim & Lil

Default Thanks Mail ordering from the States

made the order this eveing....thanks for the advice

Old February 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM
smiles

Hey Dan, do you do any lake trout fishing in the Rideau Lakes? Are you
successful at it? Which town is your cottage close to?

--
http://www.bluezone.best.cd/

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Fleaman

Make sure you find out who they ship with. If its a small item and there
will be minimal duty, dont go with UPS, they charge a flat rate of 50$ for
brokering the item. USPS is the better choice, then you just pay duty when
you pick it up at the post office. I am not sure the brokerage rate for
larger items are. The Item I ordered was a 15$ baseball cap and it cost me
50 bucks to get the parcel, it was a huge rip off.
Other than that, I have had no problems ordering stuff from the US. Most of
the time they give you options on shipping. Do some research and find out
the best deal.

Jason

Old February 20th, 2004, 01:49 AM
smiles

Some items cannot be shipped to Canada because the retailers have agreements
with distributors and companies. Try to buy a sonar by Eagle and you will
see. Also, stay away from UPS. Always go with USPS. There is a kind of
tacit agreement between USPS and Canada Post so that small items under 20
dollars, most normal parcels, etc go through customs like corn mush through
a goose. UPS, does not have such an agreement and must go through customs.
This is where you end up paying for a bunch of extra costs (mostly handling
fees). UPS is taking the Canadian government to court with allegations of
unfair competition by Canada Post. Yes, in the trade agreement, small
companies can take the Canadian government to court. I can see every
American medical company each taking his turn hauling Canada into the court
room. Often the court costs are too expensive so Canada just shuts up and
forks out the dollars to small U.S. companies who win their case and court
costs are paid by the loser.

--
http://www.bluezone.best.cd/

Old February 21st, 2004, 05:08 AM
Dark Knight

I deal with shipping across the border on an almost weekly basis - DON"T USE
UPS!!! I've had so many problems that way... Try to have everything go
FedEx. Perhaps a bit more expensive, but the service - and the condition of
your package - are worth it in my opinion.

DK

.. .

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Dan Hosek

"smiles" wrote in news:Ko5Zb.19040$hR5.136788
@wagner.videotron.net:

Hey Dan, do you do any lake trout fishing in the Rideau Lakes? Are you
successful at it? Which town is your cottage close to?

One of our boats is at Bayview in Portland. The rest are at the cottage
(water access only).

Haven't really tried too much for the trout (yet), mostly a
bass/pike/walleye kind of guy. Although, not too much luck with the
walleye in Canada. Used to slaughter them in the States when I was a kid.