Need Bass bait help!

Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:18 AM
alwaysfishking

Default Need Bass bait help!

I did a bit of the panfish thing with my kids but also taught them right
from the get go that sometimes fish bite and sometimes they don't. They
appreciate when they do catch a bass now much more. I would suggest that you
talk with the local tackle store and get some minnows. Rig them with a
bobber or without( My favorite way), Try to find a place with a variety of
species, perch, Crappie and Bass will all munch a good minnow and for that
matter a bad minnow, Make sure you bring some needlenose pliers as they all
have a tendency to swallow minnows. It will help getting the hook back
without hurting the fish. Something that can also turn off younger ones to
fishing if you are not prepared for the trip
"Rich Pierro" wrote in message
I suggest finding out how to hook a ton of pan-fish in your area and

getting
him into fishing that way. If you fish for bass and get nothing you will
turn him off to fishing, but if you go after sunnies, you can whack them

all
day and have a blast. Then, next time you say the word "fishing", his

eyes
will light up.

Rich P

"Dominic Chin" wrote in message
I would go with Shiners......run about 4ft of line between shiner and
bobber. This will produce if there is bass in the water.

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using

earthworms
as
kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for

the
same
experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms

again.
Is
this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as

well?
Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth

vs
large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead

weight
about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with

this
setup?

Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
experience.

Thanks,
Tom

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
RichG

Having fished all of my now longish life...I can tell you my thoughts on the
single one mistake most parents/kids make when small kids are trying to
catch small fish.

That is..they use much too large hooks. I ran into two youngsters on the
pier in Lake Geneva, Wisc. yesterday. One had a #6 ( I think ) hook..and a
night crawler on it that was five times bigger than the hook area. They were
trying to catch sunfish and bluegills off of the pier.

I had him nip off a tiny wedge of night-crawler..stick it on the very end of
his much too large hook.,,, and he caught a blue-gill on the very first drop
over the side. Small hooks, ( maybe #10s); long shanks, small baits...lots
of action. You can always target the bigger species..but start them off
catching ( not feeding, the little fish ) and they will love it. This
little guy did!

RichG
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Tom

Bass is the target....not looking to catch just anything. We will be
fishing LaDue Reservoir in northeast Ohio. My son is 10 and has lots of
attention span.

"Thundercat" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:26:55 GMT, "Tom"
wrote:

I'm as novice as they get at bass fishing. I remember using earthworms

as a
kid with very good results. Now I'm taking my young son fishing for the

same
experience I had 30 years ago. I'm thinking of using earthworms again.

Is
this my best choice? Are there lures I should strongly consider as well?
Does it depend on the lake or other factors? What about small-mouth vs
large-mouth? Also, I'm thinking of using steel leaders and a lead weight
about 3 feet above the hook without any float. Am I goofy going with

this
setup?

Any help would be appreciated. This will be my son's first fishing
experience and I'm trying to make it a very positive and memorable
experience.

Thanks,
Tom

I don't know much about the ponds or lakes in your area (Detroit
area?) but a few folks in here surely will. A lot of the
recommendations that we could give you will depend a lot on what
exactly you hope to accomplish. Do you want to target just bass or do
you just want to get your son catching anything that will bite? That
is probably the most important question. How old is your son and how
is his attention span?

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.