Jan. 2, and 60.7 degrees

Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz

Default Jan. 2, and 60.7 degrees

Met Uncle Wally at the top of the road leading down to Upper Creek?

We agreed to go over to Steels Creek instead. We decided to fish a section of Steels
that neither of us had fished before. This is a section low down in the campin'
areas. Thankfully, even with the temp. in the 60 degree range, there were no campers
to be seen. I tied on one of my recently tied #16 parachute Adams, and Walt tied on a
Madame X with dropper.

Walt took the lead and fished the first pool which is actually several pools in a
bedrock granite formation. Like Upper Creek, Steels Creek flows through a gorge, so
there are more bedrock plunge pools than mice in my house--at least I hope so, anyway.
Things started out slow and remained that way for me, throughout the day. Walt the
magnificent, however, had obviously sacrificed to the appropriate fish gods. While I
was fishin' drys exclusively, Walt was catchin' fish left and right on the dry he used
as an indicator? I couldn't charm a trout with anything I tied on, and I tied on and
on and on...

I, finally, resorted to a prince nymph dropper, and caught a brown in the 8 inch
range. That was it for me. Walt however, removed his dropper and continued to catch
trout on his #10 Madame X. I became distraught and just sat and cried very loudly.
Walt remained unaffected, continuing to catch trout? Where we expected to find trout,
they were absent and where we least expected to find them, they struck Walt's fly. We
didn't get any strikes in the deep pools, but our droppers were probably not set deep
enough. Mostly, trout were in the riffles and tight against rock formations--those
that Walt caught anyway, as I only caught one fish :~^(

We come up on Walt's Jeep and he was ready to head on out, as he had worn himself out
castin' and catchin'. I wasn't humiliated enough just yet and decided to go over to
Upper Creek.

Upper Creek skunked me! I still had a dropper rig tie on and attempted to coax trout
out of bedrock troughs, but they'd have none of that. I switched over to a green
Stimulator. Nada. I fished for about two hours and finally called it quits.

I gotta mouse pattern I'm gonna try next weekend, if he/she has dehydrated enough to
cast by then.

Mark

Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Jeff Miller

Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:

Upper Creek skunked me! I still had a dropper rig tie on and attempted
to coax trout out of bedrock troughs, but they'd have none of that. I
switched over to a green Stimulator. Nada. I fished for about two
hours and finally called it quits.

i'll give you a call for the next trip in search of leopard trout... g

jeff
Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:50 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message
Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:

Upper Creek skunked me! I still had a dropper rig tie on and attempted to coax
trout out of bedrock troughs, but they'd have none of that. I switched over to a
green Stimulator. Nada. I fished for about two hours and finally called it quits.

i'll give you a call for the next trip in search of leopard trout... g

jeff

I don't aspire to become a professional skunkmeister, but it would be a delight to
fish the falls stretch with ya. If we want to get Walt to go with us we'll have to
let him rest up REAL GOOD! I'm not too sure if there are any leopard trout in Uppers,
but I'm certain that the elusive Invisible Trout are thick as fleas in them thar
waters.

Ping me come Spring, as I keep the 'puter connected 99% of the time and don't bother
with a phone anymore. And even I don't know what my e-mail addy will be by
Springtime.

Mark

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Jeff Miller

Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:

[...]

will do. looking forward to it...

jeff

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
ezflyfisher

"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote in message
[...]

mark, it was a fine day astream.

i could go on and on about proper equipment, but at least the fish caught my
drift ;-)

seriously, you would think that the fish would have been in the deep pools
this time of year. it was very much like a spring fish, the runs and riffles
held fish and the pools were bare..... dunno why, but it is something to
think about..... maybe territorial big browns down deep???

anyway, thanks for fishing with me on the last day of '04 and the beginning
of '05.... it was fun.

resolutions for '05

1) fish more.

2. fish some more.

3. cherish and enjoy as many low down browns in the company of as many
roffians as possible....

wally

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
asadi....

I know a guy that makes a mean streamside pot of coffee...., and swiss miss
hot chocolate and 'poof' mocha!

john