What fish is this? - 1 attachment

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

Default What fish is this? - 1 attachment

Hello fishermen and -women,

This picture was taken at the aquarium in Vladiwostok, Siberia. The fish
depicted is a local, probably marine, fish. What species is it? I would be
very grateful if someone could help me.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

Old February 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
George

How about a Pacu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu_(fish) ?

George in Las Vegas

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"George" wrote in :

How about a Pacu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu_(fish) ?

George in Las Vegas

Yes, it certainly looks like such a fish, but they're freshwater species
and live in South America, so that doesn't quite fit. Is there some
relative of these fish that can be found near Vladivostok?
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Musashi

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote in message
.. .
"George" wrote in :

How about a Pacu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu_(fish) ?

George in Las Vegas

Yes, it certainly looks like such a fish, but they're freshwater species
and live in South America, so that doesn't quite fit. Is there some
relative of these fish that can be found near Vladivostok?

I do not think there are any sal****er fish that resembles your photo from
Okhotsk to the
Sea of Japan. There are no freshwater fish either. While the Amur and
northern
China have various carp species, none have the adipose fin shown in your
photo.
There are no relatives of Piranha or Pacu in North Asia as the only fish
that have
adipose fins are all salmonids and smelt species.
I would say with certainty that the photo is of South American Pacu, which I
believe
have been transplanted in some parts Southeast Asia, but they would not be
able to
withstand the cold climate of Northern Asia. May I suggest a reverification
from
the photo source?

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Musashi" wrote in
et:

:

[...]

A sensible suggestion! It's very difficult for the person who made the
photo to go back to the aquarium, however. I can see that it looks like
nothing but a pacu or piranha. You make a good point.

The most obvious explanation is that there are, indeed, non-local fish in
the aquarium at vladivostok, even though I was told otherwise. Thanks to
both repliers for your efforts, I appreciate it a lot.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.