The VERY best fly fishing destination?

Old September 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Padishar Creel

Default The VERY best fly fishing destination?

My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow Roffians, how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination -- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

Old September 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Dave Martel

Good choice. Haven't been there...but *have* spent 4 weeks on 3 seperate
trips to Christmas Island. Much more primitive than the accomodations on the
Seychelles; but the fishing is fantastic...at 1/3rd the cost. Add in the
(underutilized) blue water (Giant Trevally and Yellowfin Tuna) and you've
gota great place...friendly natives too.

Still.....if money were no object (nice to dream, huh?) it'd be the
Seychelles, hands down.

Dave M

Old September 13th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Padishar Creel" wrote

IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

it wouldn't cost me much at all; and 9/11 can't be relevant, if we want
to live free. so, i would say, hazel creek, with guaranteed good weather,
in early may, staying at the ranger cabin, and turning back the clock to
1975. of course, i would want ol jeffie to have already started trout
fishing, and renda mcrae speight would have to be there...

oh; wait a minute--i thought you asked me where i wanted to spend
eternity...

yfitons
wayno

Old September 14th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Chas Wade

"Dave Martel" wrote:
Good choice. Haven't been there...but *have* spent 4 weeks on 3
seperate
trips to Christmas Island. Much more primitive than the accomodations
on the
Seychelles; but the fishing is fantastic...at 1/3rd the cost. Add in
the
(underutilized) blue water (Giant Trevally and Yellowfin Tuna) and
you've
gota great place...friendly natives too.

Still.....if money were no object (nice to dream, huh?) it'd be the
Seychelles, hands down.

So how abot a few hints on how you got it to cost 1/3 of the
Seychelles? I presume that makes it cheaper than the Bahamas.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old September 14th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Chas Wade

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly
fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have
never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow
Roffians, how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination
-- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and
all?

Chris

Sounds good, but with money as no object, I'd be thinking Iceland for
atlantics, or Great Bear Lake for lakers, pike, and greyling.

Old September 14th, 2004, 01:11 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:55:41 GMT, Chas Wade
wrote:

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
My wife asked me, "if you couild go anywhere in the world for a fly
fishing
vacation, where would you want to go?"

I answered immediately, "The Seychelles!"

Then I got to wondering if that is really the very best, since I have
never
been there or any really exotic fly fishing locals.. So fellow
Roffians, how
about your opinions on the absolute ultimate fly fishing destination
-- IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and
all?

Chris

Sounds good, but with money as no object, I'd be thinking Iceland for
atlantics, or Great Bear Lake for lakers, pike, and greyling.

I'd include Argentina and Russia if cost was not an issue...
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:06 AM
rw

Chas Wade wrote:

So how abot a few hints on how you got it to cost 1/3 of the
Seychelles? I presume that makes it cheaper than the Bahamas.

When I was at Christmas Island a few years ago I tried to figure out the
cost of a roll-your-own trip (as opposed to a package with Kauffman's or
someone like that). I can't quote any actual numbers, but my impression
was that it could be done much cheaper. I don't think you'd have much
trouble finding a boat and a guide. I'd stay in the town where the boats
launch (can't recall the name), to avoid the truck ride across the
island from the Captain Cook hotel.

Old September 14th, 2004, 03:16 AM
snakefiddler

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
om...

"Padishar Creel" wrote

IF
money was not a consideration, where would you go now with 9/11 and all?

Chris

it wouldn't cost me much at all; and 9/11 can't be relevant, if we

want
to live free. so, i would say, hazel creek, with guaranteed good weather,
in early may, staying at the ranger cabin, and turning back the clock to
1975. of course, i would want ol jeffie to have already started trout
fishing, and renda mcrae speight would have to be there...

oh; wait a minute--i thought you asked me where i wanted to spend
eternity...

yfitons
wayno

here's to ya , uncle wayno-
let me raise my tumbler of vermouth to you, ms. mcrae speight, the trout of
hazel creek, and freedom.

yfitm
snakefiddler- (who may have indulged in just a little too much sipping this
evenin)

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Bill Kiene

Cays of southern Cuba..........for me.