Casting Disaster

Old May 1st, 2004, 12:41 AM
Stephen Welsh

Default Casting Disaster

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

New fly rod....big trouble.
Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night.

[snip]
I managed
something creative, but the leader & tippet were not exactly landing
gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

Practise.

Steve
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:05 AM
Asadi

Practice on a lawn that is moving from left to right.

Failing that, practice on a pond. . . then moving water.

john

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be laying

in
front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when practicing on the

lawn.
They do not explain what to do when the water's moving swiftly from left

right, taking the pile of line with it, and you want to fly to end up to

the
left. I managed something creative, but the leader & tippet were not

Old May 1st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Doug Kanter

"Asadi" wrote in message
k.net...
Practice on a lawn that is moving from left to right.

I had just such a lawn last week at a friend's house. We believe it was
caused by the bourbon.

Old May 1st, 2004, 02:43 AM
Doug Kanter

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:31:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be laying

in
front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when practicing on the

lawn.
They do not explain what to do when the water's moving swiftly from left

right, taking the pile of line with it, and you want to fly to end up to

the
left. I managed something creative, but the leader & tippet were not

exactly
landing gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

You could try a one-handed spey cast.

Why do I get a feeling that a spey cast is in the same chapter of the book
as a smoke shifter? :-)

Old May 1st, 2004, 02:46 AM
Wolfgang

wrote:

New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be

laying
in
front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when practicing on the

lawn.
They do not explain what to do when the water's moving swiftly from

left
right, taking the pile of line with it, and you want to fly to end up

the
left. I managed something creative, but the leader & tippet were not

exactly
landing gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

You could try a one-handed spey cast.

Why do I get a feeling that a spey cast is in the same chapter of the book
as a smoke shifter? :-)

Basic literacy might help to dispel that disquietude.

Wolfgang

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:06 AM
pw

New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be laying in
front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when practicing on the lawn.
They do not explain what to do when the water's moving swiftly from left to
right, taking the pile of line with it, and you want to fly to end up to the
left. I managed something creative, but the leader & tippet were not exactly
landing gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

Spend a bunch of time practicing false casting (just casting the line
back and forth, changing the amount of line you have out). You don't
want to treat moving water like a lawn. You have to know where your
target is and just get it out there in a couple of casts w/o having to
start with line on the water. Or face upstream and cast upstream,
ending with the rod tip low to the water and slowly raising it while
pulling in line with your line hand to keep the fly from dragging and
a belly forming (the line should be in a straight line to the fly or
indicator). When you are fishing up stream you can cheat by letting
the line float down behind you, straighten, and then cast upstream.

When you feel you are ready, learn the reach cast (for casting across
the water) which will let your fly line be upstream of the fly so the
fly doesn't start dragging right away.

I don't think I've ever seen a casting book or video that tries to
teach beginners on the water!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

You could try a one-handed spey cast.

Why do I get a feeling that a spey cast is in the same chapter of the

book
as a smoke shifter? :-)

Basic literacy might help to dispel that disquietude.

Wolfgang

....or perhaps having A LIFE, and not enough time to look it up JUST YET,
little troll. Notice how Greg offered something constructive?

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Doug Kanter

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:43:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Why do I get a feeling that a spey cast is in the same chapter of the

book
as a smoke shifter? :-)

I don't really know, but it may be something you
might want to take up with your shrink on the next
visit...

See below for a single spey, in water moving right
to left, using a long two-handed two-handed spey rod.
Notice that the line is downstream at the beginning of
the cast and is directly cross-river at the end of the
cast. THis can be done single-handed with shorter rods.
I'm not good at it, it takes some coordination and
practice.

http://speypages.jp/singlespey03.MPG

The following two sites have a lot more about spey
casting:

http://www.speypages.com/speypages.htm
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

This is what a spey rod looks like:

http://www.winstonrods.com/rods/rods_spey.cfm

And this is a photo of the namesake river.
Note the absence of open shoreline, which
is what led to the development of spey casting
in the first place:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feat...first3259.html

Thank you, Greg.

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"pw" wrote in message

I don't think I've ever seen a casting book or video that tries to
teach beginners on the water!

Everything I've read says the same thing. But Thursday night, water was
necessary for health reasons, so I broke the rules.

Old May 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
slenon

Doug Kanter:
Practice on a lawn that is moving from left to right.

I had just such a lawn last week at a friend's house. We believe it was
caused by the bourbon.

Quite so. Scotch, gin, and even vodka will also cause a lawn to move from
left to right. However, for lawn practice moving right to left, Mogen
David, and in extreme cases, Sabra, will be required.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm