Pontoon Boats

Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Pontoon Boats

This was touched on in another thread
I am inrterested in buying one to use on small rivers and lakes - esp our
own lake
How safe are thety on rivers?

I have to be able to fit them (2) in the back of an SUV

I want to be higher up - sitting and casting than a float tube
I would like to be able to carry xtra gear

Any suggestions?
Any to stay way from?

I know that they sell this in Wal-mart's But I am no Wal-mart shopper
i would rather pay more money to get a good one line or at a sporting goods
store
What about the water strider?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

wrote:
This was touched on in another thread
I am inrterested in buying one to use on small rivers and lakes - esp our
own lake
How safe are thety on rivers?

Some are better than others on rivers. I suggest that you call Buck's
Bags in Boise and ask their advice. They make very good boats, IMO.
They're pricey, but that's the cost of quality.

I use mine on rapids up to class II. It's very difficult if not
impossible to fish from one in fast-moving water. Your oars must be in
the water. They're good for access to wading.

Larger pontoon boats designed for whitewater are safe. They're used a
lot on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, which has Class IV rapids.

One time a kayaking friend talked me into taking my boat down a fairly
friendly stretch of the Salmon River by Stanley during full spring
runoff. Mistake. I found that I could easily avoid the big holes by
rowing, but then I got complacent and started looking at the scenery. I
found myself headed into the biggest hole on the stretch, with nothing
to do but go right at it. I flipped over frontwards and ended up upside
down. I grabbed the boat and must have floated 1/4 mile before I could
get to shore and get turned back over. Lost an expensive pair of
prescription sunglasses.

I have to be able to fit them (2) in the back of an SUV

Not if they were assembled. Mine, assembled and inflated, barely fits
into the bed of my short-bed pickup. You can carry one assembled on top
of your SUV.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

How safe are thety on rivers?

I have to be able to fit them (2) in the back of an SUV

I want to be higher up - sitting and casting than a float tube
I would like to be able to carry xtra gear

Any suggestions?

Well, I "always" post this link in such threads

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/

Having down that I usually add MY own experiences and OPINIONS

Fred,

I was looking for a 'portable watercraft' since I travel all summer and
sometimes need a way to float ( doh )

To me 'portable' was a key word

I own an 8 foot Outback pram built especially for fly fishing.

I own a Buck's Bag float tube

I have tried three different brands of pontoon style 'portable' inflatable
craft

I MUCH prefer my WaterMaster over the others, although it, like all such
craft, has it's own weaknesses and strengths.

MY view of them, honestly presented is:

Great portability ... the whole damn thing goes into a 'backpack,' boat,
oars, pump, ... fins, and waders if you want ... and can easily go from
completely deflated and packed to ON THE WATER in 10 minutes, no sweat.
I HAVE taken THREE of them and the three anglers the short distance needed
for shuttle in a Honda Civic ( it was crowded and only reasonable for a few
miles, but we did it ). The Hebgen thread may have sparked your interest
so, a true Hebgen story

story
I fished Hebgen one day in my WaterMaster and as the spinner fall petered
out I started rowing to shore. I noticed a couple with pontoons a bit
ahead of me. We beached at the same place about the same time and the man
in the couple went and got their SUV and drove it right to the water's edge.
I hopped out of the WaterMaster and popped open both air valves and then
walked up the hill to my truck. There, I took off all my gear and put away
my rod then went back to get my boat. The couple was fighting to get one
of the pontoons on their car, already having put away their other stuff.
I folded the WM, put it in it's bag, carried it up to the truck and put it
away. I was ready to drive off but walked back to the water to make sure
I hadn't dropped anything and to volunteer, " Need any help getting that on
top." as the FIRST of the two pontoons was still not in place and getting
the second one up there looked like a tough gig. The 'guy' erupted at me
violently about "I can do and I don't need any god-damned help." Every
time I see someone pulling a little trailer with a pontoon on it or fighting
like hell to get one or two lashed to the top of a car I wonder, "What part
of 'portable' don't these people understan."

/story

The WM is an honest 10 minutes to completely 'assemble' or disassemble' ...
I never put mine into the truck without packing it, simply because it's so
fast there is no need, even though it would fit into the bed or on top like
my pram

GREAT carrying capacity ... 500 or 700 pounds for the two models I have

GREAT moving water safety ... If the link still has a photos section, check
it out ..... I'm chicken**** and I've used it in class 3 waters

Being able to stand up without achoring the boat is a huge advantage ... the
WM surrounds you but doesn't get in the way and you can barely feel it
pulling in the current .... the first time you just "step overboard" to fish
a riffle is a bit un-nerving but you quickly learn to do it with full faith
.... AND you can wade "in" the craft and thus get to places you'd ( ok,
"I'd" ) never have the balls to try and wade to without the boat around
you. Fishing FROM any moving personal craft on a river is over-rated ...
generally you just use the craft to get there then wade or anchor, the WM
WAY out performs a pontoon at the wading part, as a pontoon will get away
from you unless you anchor it or beach it.

--------------------------------

Downsides: You sit higher than in a tube but NOT as high as in a
pontoon. I usually manage to row about as fast as the pontoon users near
me, without trying in any way to 'race' but I have lots of rowing experience
.... a pontoon DOES row easier ... especially if you need to move UPstream.
The WaterMaster is very pricey ... but, it is built exactly like full sized
whitewater rafts in materials and construction ... the first time you feel
one in the flesh you will have complete confidence in it.

-----------------------------

They are ( I believe you are in Kalispel? ) "just down the road from you"
The company changed hands since I got mine, but they used to have a
wonderful "we want you to try it" attitude and I believe still do ... I'd
call first but I bet they'd loan you one for a day or two. When I bought
mine I did so over the 'net and it was with a complete, "try it 30 days, no
questions asked" return policy ... did I return it ? .... no I bought two
others to equip the whole family (one has since been sold, not all family
members are as interested in fishing as 'dad', but I still travel with two
all summer so I can float with people I meet ... "portable" is a key word
:- )

ALL normal disclaimers apply .... I have no connection to the company and
nothing to gain from my review of their product

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rw" wrote

Some are better than others on rivers. I suggest that you call Buck's Bags
in Boise and ask their advice. They make very good boats, IMO. They're
pricey, but that's the cost of quality.

I would 'second' rw's Buck's Bags comments ... very high quality ...

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Larry L" wrote in

GREAT moving water safety ... If the link still has a photos section,
check it out ..... I'm chicken**** and I've used it in class 3 waters

I went and checked and they do have photos .... I'm connection speed
deprived so I only looked at the thumbnails on the first page .... the one
of the guy standing brings up a point, which is, you can to get well up
there on a stillwater, ( well some can, MY knee and balance won't allow it
.... I have done it but didn't feel secure ... by the same token I no longer
feel secure standing in my pram, either, my tendancy to topple is just too
great .... I walk with a cane, somedays, on level paved ground )

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
briansfly

wrote:
This was touched on in another thread
I am inrterested in buying one to use on small rivers and lakes - esp our
own lake
How safe are thety on rivers?

I have to be able to fit them (2) in the back of an SUV

I want to be higher up - sitting and casting than a float tube
I would like to be able to carry xtra gear

Any suggestions?
Any to stay way from?

I know that they sell this in Wal-mart's But I am no Wal-mart shopper
i would rather pay more money to get a good one line or at a sporting goods
store
What about the water strider?

3 brands come to mind, as quality boats. Outcast, Dave Scadden, and
Buck's Bag. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I looked
at when I was planning a purchase. I went with a Scadden, Skykomish
Sunrise, because of some features it had over the other models.

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/homepagedirectory.html

I've been pretty happy with it, and it's been getting quite a bit of
use(stillwater)lately. My boat would be "safe" in rivers(class IV-V),
with somebody qualified at the oars. I'm not, and struggle in tricky
situations. Mine is a big boat, and it would have to be taken apart, to
fit IN an SUV. Complete setup time...including time to pump up 2 boats(4
pontoons), would be close to an hour. Less if you had the frames
assembled, and toons partially inflated. By the way, it's sportsman show
season. You might finds some good deals now.

brians

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

briansfly wrote:

[...]

I have an outcast. I Like it. I carry it in the back of a smallish SUV,
unassembled. I inflate the pontoons when I get to the water, and
assemble the boat there. It takes 6 cotter pins to hold it together.
All-in-all, assembly takes about 10 - 15 minutes.

They are safe on moving water, but you wouldn't fish from one unless you
were in still water. I use it for access on rivers. They are great in lakes.

Tim Lysyk
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Jan 2, 4:04*pm, briansfly wrote:
I went with a Scadden, Skykomish
Sunrise, because of some features it had over the other models.

I fell in love with that one at a the College Park FFing show a few
years back. Never did buy a pontoon boat; but if I had.....

Joe F.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Thanks for all the help guys
It is appreciated

Regardless of the flaming and other BS