Just another day

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default Just another day

I was just asked about falling out of the boat last week. "Wasn't
that on the Lower Sac?" Naw, went swimming on the White in Arkansas.
On the Lower Sac, I got a hook embedded in the node of my trigeminal
nerve (which got infected causing excruciating pain and Bells Palsey)
on the Lower Sac. Did fall off a cliff on the Rapidan, which wasn't
flowing as fast as the water on the Rapid when I slipped in went
through a chute. I was savaged by the Savage where I stepped off rock
and did a feeding duck routine, which was nothing compared to the
flood on the Rapahannock, which rose so fast I almost didn't make it
across. We really can't forget Penns, where there have been so many
memorable spills, but none really can compare with getting hung by my
net over the 60 foot cliff on the Severn. I think that was after the
tree fell around me on the Gunpowder. I did have that white water
rafting trip on the Madison, sans raft, but I've also done that on the
Kern, where the combination of tequila and eggnog nearly got me
arrested for chumming. There was that killer catfish and leech combo
on the Sacobia River in the Philippines, or the mines on the DMZ in
South Korea outside of Gosong. The butt luge down the hill to the
Swiss Millstream in Germany rivaled the semi-drowning on the Platte in
Colorado.
So, no, I didn't fall out of the boat on the Lower Sac.
Frank Reid
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:52:26 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid © 2008
wrote:

[...]

Aw, now, don't be too hard on yourself...even the, er, great ones sometimes, um,
well, DON'T stumble occasionally...

TC,
....but hey, always remember, at least to us here on ROFF, you'll always be a
world-class klutz...

Frank Reid

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack

wrote:
[...]

Frank Reid- Hide quoted text -

Mr. Reid;

Any relation to Harry Reid ?? Just wondering.

Jack

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Any relation to Harry Reid ?? Just wondering.

I do have a cousin by that name.
Frank Reid
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Oct 14, 1:52*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
[...]

I recall a day on a stream somewhere in central Pennsylvania, lo these
many years ago. There, upon the very bridge once traversed by the
three billygoats gruff, stood a clutch of erstwhile fishermen who
smelled of strong drink, and the truth was not in them. Eagerly and
breathlessly, OH so eagerly and breathlessly, we watched the merry
Frankster, standing stolid and steely-eyed in the foam and the froth,
casting ever so persistently to the presumed fish which had long ago
fled the wobbling shadows of the equally steadfast (and, admittedly,
somewhat bloated) forms defiling the very asphalt above.....which
latter, if you've ever seen it, you know is a pretty impressive
(though not at all pretty) accomplishment.....asphalt ain't all that
easy to defile.

Anyway, back in those days, the magnificent "bend like an oak or break
like a" Reid was already (and justifiably) famous for having
repeatedly (and with malice aforethought) ****ed in the very face of
death.

Um.....not real bright, some doubters might suggest, but panache,
spelled with a capital.....uh.....whatever that first letter is, to
the afficianado. We loved it. We ate it up. We waited with 'bated
breath. We giggled in anticipation and elbowed each other in the
ribs. We smiled. We laughed. We stank.

And then.......

g.
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Ah yes and as I was passing over the mountain in central Pa. I came
acrossed 2 souls attempting to to coax a trout or two from a small
stream I slowed down and told them there was a storm a-brewing with
clap of thunder and bolts of lightening haven't heard anything said
the souls then came the clap of thunder and the bolts of lightening
climb in the back I tell these 2 souls so they climbed into the steel
flatbed body (not tin} wasn't real sure if we were going to get them
to the cherry run cabin unscathed or fried..........Was a great clave
that year for sure..........
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Oct 15, 1:09*am, Mike wrote:
Ah yes and as I was passing over the mountain in central Pa. I came
acrossed 2 souls attempting to to coax a trout or two from a small
stream I slowed down and told them there was a storm a-brewing with
clap of thunder and bolts of lightening haven't heard anything said
the souls then came the clap of thunder and the bolts of lightening
climb in the back I tell these 2 souls so they climbed into the steel
flatbed body (not tin} wasn't real sure if we were going to get them
to the cherry run cabin unscathed or fried..........Was a great clave
that year for sure..........

Hadn't thought about that day for a long time. I've had many great
days on trout streams. Sharing that one on Cherry Run with Mark,
catching numerous sparkling brook jewels, ranks high among them.
Riding back to the cabin in the back of a truck, dodging lightning
bolts, gave the whole experience a certain quotidian comico-mystical
quality worthy of treatment by someone like McManus.....or maybe
Traver would be a better choice. Yeah, I think so. The bear in the
tent would be more in McManus's line.

The only disappointment I recall in the trip was that day on the
bridge. There we were, with front row seats at a show that promised
certain disaster, excruciating physical pain, blood, and general
mayhem, and Frank........Frank, the chiselling *******, did not float
down the stream upside-down, Frank did not have a leg broken by a
falling tree, Frank did not fracture his skull on a bridge abutment,
Frank did not bleed out after perforating a major artery with one of
his famous fighting craws, Frank did not disappear in a pool of
quicksand. No, Frank lost his bug in a shrubbery and then walked out
of the stream unscathed, saying, "next!"

I wanted my money back.

giles
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

No, Frank lost his bug in a shrubbery and then walked out
of the stream unscathed, saying, "next!"

The shrubbery looked nice and was not too expensive.
Frank "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing" Reid