Split Rings sizing

Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:19 AM
pat2469

Default Split Rings sizing

I have a bunch of Rapalas that I need to replace the hooks on how do I know
what size split rings to purchase? I need to replace both the hooks and
rings because they are rusted or the hooks are bent badly or missing. I
have the following models if this helps any.

Original Floating F07, F13
Husky Jerk HJ05, HJ10, HJ12, HJ14

Thanks,
Pat

Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
AJH

I would go with size 1 or 2, anything smaller is hard to work with.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
Vincent.

I have a bunch of Rapalas that I need to replace the hooks on how do I
know
what size split rings to purchase? I need to replace both the hooks and
rings because they are rusted or the hooks are bent badly or missing. I
have the following models if this helps any.

Original Floating F07, F13
Husky Jerk HJ05, HJ10, HJ12, HJ14

Thanks,
Pat

Hi,

If you do this, it could be interesting to purchase these new rings which
can be open during a strong effort and then go back to them original form...
it is called "LURESAVER titanium" and existe on different dimensions and
solidity... very interesting the save a lure hung at the bottom water but
strong enought to catch a fish... that is brain new but unfortunately I
didn't found some shop to buy it for the moment... may be you will find it
easier in US...

Vincent.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
AJH

The concept of the Luresaver looks interesting, the cost might be
prohibitive as they cost over $1 each..I doubt if they will catch
on..but then some guys use lures that cost over $15...I will stay with
regular split rings and a "pocket rock"

Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Vincent.

"AJH" wrote in message
The concept of the Luresaver looks interesting, the cost might be
prohibitive as they cost over $1 each..I doubt if they will catch
on..but then some guys use lures that cost over $15...I will stay with
regular split rings and a "pocket rock"

I just have found it "on line" on the web... indeed they are more than
prohibitive! :-o
$1.5 each in US... it will be minimum 2, 2.5 or $3 here in France!
....I don't fish with golden lures too! ;-)

Vincent.

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM
The Citizen Fisherman

Where can I get the best value on some split ring pliers?

--
Tight lines,
Citizen Fisherman
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:12 PM
AJH

I have used split ring pliers made by Texas Tackle and Rapala, both work
real well, I have had some cheap one's from Bass Pro Shops they were
junk. I have heard of using a staple remover, never tried it but it
might work..

Old March 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Bob La Londe

"The Citizen Fisherman" wrote in message
.. .
Where can I get the best value on some split ring pliers?

--
Tight lines,
Citizen Fisherman

As an NAFC member I signed up to test products and write up a short review
of the items received. After testing I get to keep the product. So far
they have sent me battery operated blinking rubber lizards which I have yet
to fish with, so I haven't done an evaluation on them yet, and some X-Ring
split rings and split ring pliers. I have palyed witht he pliers and ring a
little bit so far. I find the shape of the plier not to be ideal for
splitting the ring as the pointed jaw goes beyond the lower jaw forcing you
to put the split ring in at an angle. I see to possible solutions. The
lower jaw could have friction goves cut into it to prevent slipping, or the
lower jaw could be slightly elongated so allow for straight grip of the
split ring.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Baitgal

I was watching a show yesterday that dealt with Texas and they had a special
section about the Bomber Lure Company.
They were showing the product being hand painted and split rings being put
on the lures.
What I thought was neat was, they had a square thing with a tiny thin square
thing that they would slide the split ring opening onto (That would open the
ring) Then they just hooked the lure eye onto the opening and spun the ring
in a circle.
I know...the above is confusing....hehehe.
Ok....picture this;
A square block of wood with a small short flattened metal piece sticking
straight up. (Flattened nail perhaps?)
Holding the pliers (with the split ring in them), open the edge of the ring
by pushing it down on the metal piece.
Slide the lure eye into the opening.
Then just spin the ring in a circle with the pliers.
If that's confusing then I will draw a picture.
These folks were putting split rings on lures in seconds!

Beverly aka BaitGal
www.lonestardepot.net
www.bitemebaitandtackle.com

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"The Citizen Fisherman" wrote in message
.. .

snip