Strange Usenet behavior....(ot)

Old January 27th, 2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Strange Usenet behavior....(ot)

Some of you may have noticed that I post under two accounts: My ISP
here at work does not have a newsgroups server, so I post under
google.groups with my return address legitimate. My ISP at home has a
newsgroups server, so I post under that with a munged email addy.

But I find that roff is like two almost completely different groups on
the different accounts! I don't have any filters on, and even when I
'show all posts' and download several thousand back posts, there are
threads and posts that appear on one and not the other. I mostly notice
my own, when I post something at work, then look for replies when I get
home. It seems like theres about 20% variance between the two accounts.

Anyone else notice anything like this with their accounts? Any idea
what's happening?

--riverman

Old January 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in news:1138321010.821722.83690
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Some of you may have noticed that I post under two accounts: My ISP
here at work does not have a newsgroups server, so I post under
google.groups with my return address legitimate. My ISP at home has a
newsgroups server, so I post under that with a munged email addy.

But I find that roff is like two almost completely different groups on
the different accounts! I don't have any filters on, and even when I
'show all posts' and download several thousand back posts, there are
threads and posts that appear on one and not the other. I mostly notice
my own, when I post something at work, then look for replies when I get
home. It seems like theres about 20% variance between the two accounts.

Anyone else notice anything like this with their accounts? Any idea
what's happening?

--riverman

I think I recall hearing that google is slower. Different hosts update
at different rates, and halfway around the world, the diff may be
striking. Different nntp servers also have different spam filters.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old January 27th, 2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
Anyone else notice anything like this with their accounts? Any idea
what's happening?

Usenet is anarchy and it has *always* been strange. In large
organizations the NNTP administrator is a flunky, in small
ISPs, NNTP is increasingly an unimportant afterthought.

Between upstream issues, downstream issues and the whole damn
thing being run by pimply-faced 22 year olds I'm astonished
daily that Usenet works at all anymore.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Anyone else notice anything like this with their accounts? Any idea
what's happening?

--riverman

There is very considerable variance among the providers. Some have
powerful filters, some have none, the propagation is not always
perfect. Google can be very slow unless you use google groups itself.

TL
MC

Old January 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:

Well, with all the recent news about how China is starting to filter
and censor Google, it will be interesting to see what makes it through
Google.groups here.

We'll just assume you won't be getting the posts about the Falun Gong
wiggle nymphs.

Have fun in NZ.
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[...]

I don't see any of your posts at work, nor many other ROFFian's posts, but
I can get everyone at home?

Op

Old January 29th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
Opie wrote:

home. It seems like theres about 20% variance between the two
accounts.

--riverman

I don't see any of your posts at work, nor many other ROFFian's posts,
but
I can get everyone at home?

Ken had the right answer. For various reasons, Usenet is highly
error prone, and often an afterthought, a backwater, of the WWW.

Lately here at school I only see about 5-10% of what shows up on
google news.

Jon.

What's really funny is that i can't get a.b.p.fishing., yet I can download
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica., a.b.p.gay, ...? and other such nonsense, if
I chose to?

Op --in the backwaters of Lenoir, NC--