Hook bend dropper knot

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

Default Hook bend dropper knot

I'm would like to set up a dry --- nymph dropper w/ the nymph dropped from the
hook of the dry. I've found a buncha sites with dropper loop knots or
showing the basic concept of a bend-of-hook dropper, but not much on the
best knot to use at the hook bend. What say ye?

nb
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

notbob wrote in
:

I'm would like to set up a dry --- nymph dropper w/ the nymph dropped
from the hook of the dry. I've found a buncha sites with dropper loop
knots or showing the basic concept of a bend-of-hook dropper, but not
much on the best knot to use at the hook bend. What say ye?

nb

A cinch works fine, as does looping the tag end through a perfection loop.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Caddisman[_8_]

Here you go trt this

'Field & Stream - Field & Stream's Guide to Basic Camping and Fishing
Knots (Now With More New Knots!)' (http://tinyurl.com/39vrvq)

This is the one I use.

John

--
Caddisman

Presentation-Presentation-Presentation
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"notbob" wrote in message
I'm would like to set up a dry --- nymph dropper w/ the nymph dropped
from the
hook of the dry. I've found a buncha sites with dropper loop knots or
showing the basic concept of a bend-of-hook dropper, but not much on the
best knot to use at the hook bend. What say ye?

nb

same knot i use from reel arbor to fly: the mighty improved clinch!

wayno

Old March 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

notbob wrote:
I'm would like to set up a dry --- nymph dropper w/ the nymph dropped from the
hook of the dry. I've found a buncha sites with dropper loop knots or
showing the basic concept of a bend-of-hook dropper, but not much on the
best knot to use at the hook bend. What say ye?

nb

You can use an improved clinch knot on the bend. The easiest way is to
tie the knot before you put in on the bend and tighten it.

I prefer to tie the dropper onto the hook eye.

Old March 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"rw" wrote

You can use an improved clinch knot on the bend. The easiest way is to tie
the knot before you put in on the bend and tighten it.

I prefer to tie the dropper onto the hook eye.

damn, steven, i thought *sure* i would get a rise out of you on my post,
supra.
losing my touch, i reckon.

yfitons
wayno

Old March 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"rw" wrote
You can use an improved clinch knot on the bend. The easiest way is to tie
the knot before you put in on the bend and tighten it.

I prefer to tie the dropper onto the hook eye.

damn, steven, i thought *sure* i would get a rise out of you on my post,
supra.
losing my touch, i reckon.

No, you're not losing your "kooky uncle who will only tie one knot"
touch. You just accidentally picked a situation where the improved
clinch happens to be a suitable knot. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"rw" wrote

You can use an improved clinch knot on the bend. The easiest way is to tie
the knot before you put in on the bend and tighten it.

I prefer to tie the dropper onto the hook eye.

damn, steven, i thought *sure* i would get a rise out of you on my post,
supra.
losing my touch, i reckon.

yfitons
wayno

If the guy had asked how to tie the leader to the flyline I'd be all
over you like a cheap suit. :-)

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-03-26, Caddisman wrote:

This is the one I use.

Davey's knot. I like it. Easy for squinty-eyed geezers.

nb
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"notbob" wrote

Davey's knot. I like it. Easy for squinty-eyed geezers.

As a geezer that has tried Davey's knot ... it's not a knot that's not hard
to knot .... it looks a lot easier on paper than in a breeze, at dusk, with
light tippet, threading the tag back through the loop the second time is
hard without wasting a lot of tippet, mainly because that tag is hard to see
and grip with geezer eyes and a hand full of geezer thumbs

but give it a try and decide for yourself

I use an improved clinch and rw's excellent suggestion to start the knot on
a finger or your forceps not directly on the bend of the hook ... makes it
much easier to avoid trapping tail fibers of the dry fly in the knot
(especially with flies like a sparkle dun )