Dusting off my ROFF Voice - so WTF's up with Penns this year?

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
The Finn

Default Dusting off my ROFF Voice - so WTF's up with Penns this year?

It's been a little while since I have checked in, but wondering who's
coming to the "big" 10 year event. The Memorial Day week timing may
put a crimp on how much time I can spend this year, but will be there
in some capacity.

Who else is going? and when are you all getting there?
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"The Finn" wrote in message
It's been a little while since I have checked in, but wondering who's
coming to the "big" 10 year event. The Memorial Day week timing may
put a crimp on how much time I can spend this year, but will be there
in some capacity.

Who else is going? and when are you all getting there?

you know I'll be there, but will take the opportunity to remind you to stop
up to camp next week!
Tom

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Who else is going? *and when are you all getting there?

I'll be there with bells on. (I've taken up belly dancing).
Frank Reid
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
Who else is going? and when are you all getting there?

I'll be there with bells on. (I've taken up belly dancing).
Frank Reid

I think I can safely speak for Mike as well in rescinding the prior offer of
bunk space at camp.......yeesh!bseg
Tom
p.s. on the other hand, if that doesn't scare the bears off,
nothing will......

Old April 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

p.s. on the other hand, if that doesn't scare the bears off,
* * * *nothing will......

I see you've found out the method to my madness.
Frank Reid

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_2_]

The Finn wrote:
It's been a little while since I have checked in, but wondering who's
coming to the "big" 10 year event. The Memorial Day week timing may
put a crimp on how much time I can spend this year, but will be there
in some capacity.

Who else is going? and when are you all getting there?

I agree it's not the best weekend of the year for it, but I'm still
planning on truck-camping it 5 or 6 days.

- JR
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"JR" wrote in message
I agree it's not the best weekend of the year for it,

Considerations, here, are in order....I have held these May trips as early
as the 10th(the year it snowed, hard, on us, eh Makela?), up to Memorial Day
week. Given that I've ruled out Mother's Day(ever again!), and try to avoid
the day of May 19, which has spousal conflicts for more than one regular,
and that early May always sees a 7-10 day lull between Grannoms and March
Browns, this is the best weekend for it. I try to go in prime drake time
once every 3 years or so.....

but I'm still planning on truck-camping it 5 or 6 days.

attaboy!! We do look forward to seeing you, and sharing a few pools with
you!
Tom

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Tom Littleton wrote:
"JR" wrote:
I agree it's not the best weekend of the year for it,

Considerations, here, are in order....

Well, so long as considerations are in order I'll toss in
a couple of centavos.

The Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend is the Muskie opener
in Northern Wisconsin. It's the best legal muskie fishing
of the year, (some folks fish for "northerns" during the
two weeks before the opener ;-). The week after Memorial
Day is prime topwater smallmouth fishing and excellent
dry fly fishing for trout in the yoop. On top of which it
is usually pre-bug, or at least pre really obnoxious biting,
buzzing, blood-sucking all-out war.

I can't imagine why a dedicated midwestern fly fisher person
would drive all the way to Piddle****, Pennsylvania to fish
in the dark of the night during the last week of May or the
first week of June. Hell, if we want to fish in the dark we
can wait til mid-June when the Hex hatch.

Anyway, ... considerations.

My two centavos; probably worth less than half that.

Now, if you had the Penn's Clave in Cuba in February. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
The Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend is the Muskie opener
in Northern Wisconsin. It's the best legal muskie fishing
of the year, (some folks fish for "northerns" during the
two weeks before the opener ;-). The week after Memorial
Day is prime topwater smallmouth fishing and excellent
dry fly fishing for trout in the yoop. On top of which it
is usually pre-bug, or at least pre really obnoxious biting,
buzzing, blood-sucking all-out war.

uh, ok.

I can't imagine why a dedicated midwestern fly fisher person
would drive all the way to Piddle****, Pennsylvania to fish
in the dark of the night during the last week of May or the
first week of June. Hell, if we want to fish in the dark we
can wait til mid-June when the Hex hatch.

your Hex hatch pales next to Penn's Drake hatch(I've seen both). Also, one
can often encounter the following day of fishing for large, streambred
trout:
Morning--nymphing with Yellow Stones
Afternoon--sporadic March Brown and Grey Fox
Late Afternoon--heavy tan caddis
Evening--Drakes,sulfurs, Grey Fox, March brown all
hatching.
Dusk-Dark--Spinner falls of some or all of the above.
I can't see where anyone who isn't completely sated with dry fly angling for
large, wary, semi-wild brown trout wouldn't be packing the car NOW to head
to Penn's in May.....but, that's just me.
Tom

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Tom Littleton wrote:
I can't see where anyone who isn't completely sated with dry fly angling for
large, wary, semi-wild brown trout wouldn't be packing the car NOW to head
to Penn's in May.....but, that's just me.

Well, I suppose during the last week of May you're just as likely
to show up in northern Wisconsin as I am at Penn's.

How about Cuba in February ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry