Bug spray

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
digitaldougb

Default Bug spray

I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

Doug Bardwell
Bardwell Photography
Website: bardwellphotography.com
Blog: www.thetravelingtripod.com
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 18, 8:02*pm, digitaldougb wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

I suspect that it probably is too much. Based on all that I've read
and heard in recent years (and corroborated by personal experience)
DEET is pretty much the exclusive miracle ingredient in modern
commercial insect repellants. Of course, there are advocates for any
number of preparations but there is precious little other than
anecdotal evidence supporting most of them.

On the other hand, if you're not married to the notion of an over the
counter spray, I have it on excellent authority that a combination of
carvedilol, aspirin, clopidogrel and simvastatin taken orally, daily,
(see a physician for correct dosages) is remarkably effective in
fending off mosquitoes. Efficacy with regard to other biting flies
(yes, mosquitoes are diptera) remains to be demonstrated.

The bad news is that this is an entirely ineffectual tick
repellant.

The good news is that the ticks invariably die.

g.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:02:52 -0700 (PDT), digitaldougb
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

If your only issue with DEET is your watch, my advice would be use the DEET and
don't wear that watch (or get one with a mineral crystal). There are dozens of
other "potions" out there that will keep a few pesky insects away for a limited
time - everything from "Skin So Soft" (or however it's spelled - an Avon lotion)
to citronella-based stuff to flower-based (it's some type of chrysanthemum,
which general group is also the basis for some insecticides - do a Google search
for products based on it), but in my considerable experience (I spend most of my
time in areas that are full of various "flying biting critters"), DEET is the
most readily available and effective.

A little trick - keep a small bottle (1-2 oz/25-50ml) of household ammonia VERY
handy for gnat bites - if you get into a patch of them, simply rub some of the
ammonia on the area with the bites...that "bite stick" stuff, at $5-6USD a
"tube" is nothing but ammonia...and for God's sake, don't carry it in a Gatorade
bottle, a sippy box, Drambuie airliner, baby bottle, or anything that a child
(or child-like adult) might remotely mistake for a container that once held
consumable liquid, lest a child (or Louie) find it and guzzle it...or worse, it
might get Dave, Bill, and Goatgang embroiled in a 413 post thread about
religion, responsibility, and pseudochemistry....

Good luck,
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"digitaldougb" wrote in message

I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Avoid gas-pressurized canisters, i.e. use a manual
pump (as supplied with some formulations of Off w/DEET.)
Do not attempt overall coverage straight from the spray
can, e.g. make two or four squirts at your head, then
smear the repellant around with your hands to coat
all exposed skin.

Spectacles and watch glasses are easily protected by
putting them in your pocket until repellant has been
applied and dried. Rod and line finishes are no less vulnerable
to DEET or its solvents: for this reason many anglers rinse
their hands to remove repellant from their hands.

DEET and citronella are what we rely on for blackfly,
mosquitos and deer flies, all severe hereabouts. For
the worst fly periods, we wear bug jackets (cotton
mesh, kept in a plastic bag, recharged with an ounce
or two of repellant once a month. We mix our own
from bulk purchases.)

All repellants are likely to seem sticky when first
applied, but we seldom know whether this comes
from the active chemical or the solvent/diluant.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack

On Aug 18, 8:02*pm, digitaldougb wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

Doug Bardwell
Bardwell Photography
Website: *bardwellphotography.com
Blog: * * *www.thetravelingtripod.com

Although I have not tried this, I have a friend who is outdoors quite
a bit. He carries a small spray-bottle of Listerine. He swears it is
among the best he has used. If you try it let us know how it works.
Jack
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

digitaldougb wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...

Yeah, that's asking too much. The only thing that works
is Deet. I use the little spritzers from Ben's. Be careful
what you spritz and use the back of your hands to spread
it around and you'll be fine.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Aug 18, 9:02*pm, digitaldougb wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

Doug Bardwell
Bardwell Photography
Website: *bardwellphotography.com
Blog: * * *www.thetravelingtripod.com

Cutters Advanced (no DEET) works for very short periods of time on
mosquitoes, but has no effect at all on blackfles. DEET is the only
way to go, and if the bugs are really thick, the 100% concentration is
the way to go. As another poster said, don't rely on the spray. I take
off my hat, watch and glasses, spray (pump, not aerosol) into the palm
of one hand, and cover all exposed areas. I then clean it off the
palm, to avoid damage to fly line, waders, etc, and put on the items I
removed. Repeat the procedure every few hours.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey

In message , Ken Fortenberry
writes
digitaldougb wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.
Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...

Yeah, that's asking too much. The only thing that works
is Deet. I use the little spritzers from Ben's. Be careful
what you spritz and use the back of your hands to spread
it around and you'll be fine.

I don't know if they are available in the USA but over here I like to
use "Jungle Formula" sachets. Very handy to keep in your wallet.

The sachets are about credit card size , very convenient and very
effective.
Each one contains a moist wipe.
--
Bill Grey

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen

I'm looking for recommendations for a bug spray that's:
1) odorless as possible
2) not gooey or sticky
3) preferably doesn't have Deet (which eats my watch crystal)
4) lasts for a couple hours at least
5) and keeps as many types of bugs away as possible.

Hope that isn't asking too much?????
Thanks in advance...
Doug

I have found that Burt's Insect repellant works well for me. It claims to be
non-toxic containing lemon seed oil, grape seed oil, and citronela (sp?)
oil. It is an oily product, but it keeps the bugs off of Bear and myself
quite well and it smells good too!
Op