Current River Flow Data

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Current River Flow Data

For years I did not pay much attention to river flow levels. If i had
some time to fish I just showed up and whatever was happening, whether
at flood or dewatered, I was there and made the best of it.

But the last few years, and especially since I bought a streach, Ive
been paying much more attention. Washington state has a pretty
extensive set of flow and temp measuring stations linked by telemetry
to a website.

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/...asp?sta=32B110

What are other States doing? Where do you go for current flow data?
How close to realtime is the data you can access?

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Oct 19, 12:24*pm, DaveS wrote:
For years I did not pay much attention to river flow levels. If i had
some time to fish I just showed up and whatever was happening, whether
at flood or dewatered, I was there and made the best of it.

But the last few years, and especially since I bought a streach, Ive
been paying much more attention. Washington state has a pretty
extensive set of flow and temp measuring stations linked by telemetry
to a website.

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/...asp?sta=32B110

What are other States doing? Where do you go for current flow data?
How close to realtime is the data you can access?

Dave

http://water.usgs.gov/
National data.Frequency of reporting varies by state and individual
site. MA, for instance varies from 12 hrs to 2 hrs in reporting
frequencies. Generally larger streams report more frequently. A few
sites also report water temp.

www.h20line.com
Operated by hydro power companies in New England. Reports are
discharge rates from various hydro dams. Generally within 5 minutes of
real time.
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

On Oct 19, 11:59*am, george9219 wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:24*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

I saw the subject line and thought you were referencing the Current
River in Missouri. We use the USGS data. It is helpful for knowing
how a major deluge will affect fishing. They also provide CFS
forecasts based on current flows and the weather forecast.

Paul
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

DaveS wrote:
For years I did not pay much attention to river flow levels. If i had
some time to fish I just showed up and whatever was happening, whether
at flood or dewatered, I was there and made the best of it.

But the last few years, and especially since I bought a streach, Ive
been paying much more attention. Washington state has a pretty
extensive set of flow and temp measuring stations linked by telemetry
to a website.

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/...asp?sta=32B110

What are other States doing? Where do you go for current flow data?
How close to realtime is the data you can access?

Dave

The river flows
It flows to the sea
Wherever that river goes
That's where I want to be
Flow river flow
Let your waters wash down
Take me from this road
To some other town

All he wanted
Was to be free
And that's the way
It turned out to be
Flow river flow
Let your waters wash down
Take me from this road
To some other town

Flow river flow
Past the shaded tree
Go river, go
Go to the sea
Flow to the sea

The river flows
It flows to the sea
Wherever that river goes
That's where I want to be
Flow river flow
Let your waters wash down
Take me from this road
To some other town

Roger McGuinn - Ballad Of Easy Rider Lyrics

Old October 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 19, 9:59*am, george9219 wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:24*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Thanx George. I noticed on the USGS site that some of the Mass. flow
stations have lost their funding and will be shut down. I wonder if
that is happening across the country.

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack

On Oct 19, 12:24*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

The site for the TVA area which includes TN, NC, GA, and ALA is:
http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm
It gives info on the tailwaters as well as some free flowing streams
in the area, especially those in and around the Smokeys.

J.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 19, 12:24*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

J.- Hide quoted text -

Thanx.
Im starting to wonder if it makes sense to gather up a list of web
addresses across the country that access stream flow/conditions data.
So far we've got . . .

United States Geodetic Survey Measured Stream flows
50 States
http://water.usgs.gov/

Tennessee Valley Authority
TVA States, TN, NC, GA, and ALA
http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm

Washington Dept of Ecology
WA. State
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/...asp?sta=32B110

Hydro power companies and other Sources
Stream flows and Dam releases for 39 States
www.h20line.com
*
*Ive not yet figured out how to use this one

Anyway you get the basic idea. USGS provides some coverage in all
states but other flow measuring networks at the state, regional and
local level cover even more streams. Some of the sites only give point
in time measures, some near real time continuous measures, some just
CFS, others include air, water and O2 measures. Seems like a beefy and
useful tight one page list could be useful for trip planning etc..
Wonder is any outfit already has a mega site with all this stuff?

Old October 31st, 2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Oct 19, 10:24*am, DaveS wrote:
How close to realtime is the data you can access?

At http://montana-riverboats.com, if you hover the mouse over
"Stream Flows" at screen middle bottom, you get (most of) Montana's
most important flows in a popup panel, updated nightly, using cron
and a little php/curl screen-scraping...querying the gov flows site at
3:00am
in the morning mountain time.

It takes about 90 seconds to complete, so it can't be done from a
mouse click.
But they only update the data once a day anyway. So once a day
updates are as good as it gets.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 30, 7:59*pm, salmobytes wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:24*am, DaveS wrote:

How close to realtime is the data you can access?

Athttp://montana-riverboats.com, if you hover the mouse over
"Stream Flows" at screen middle bottom, you get (most of) Montana's
most important flows in a popup panel, updated nightly, using cron
and a little php/curl screen-scraping...querying the gov flows site at
3:00am
in the morning mountain time.

It takes about 90 seconds to complete, so it can't be done from a
mouse click.
But they only update the data once a day anyway. *So once a day
updates are as good as it gets.

Thanx. That adds another source. Two questions: I am assuming the data
are in Cfs, so would that figure represent an average for the previous
24 hours, or is it an instantaneous (point in time measure)? Do you
know where the data comes from original source)? What's with that
figure for the Madison below Hebgen Lake? Is it actually 1.something
cubic feet per second? That's worse than a household well.

Dave Thanx

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Oct 19, 10:24*am, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Judging by comparison with the rest of the figures in the table and
just a pinch of good sense, I'd suggest that perhaps there's a typo in
there somewhere.

That's worse than a household well.

You've got a household well that pumps over twelve gallons per second?

I'll bet six gajillion of the diminutive member's dollars that you
don't.

Dave Thanx

You're welcome.

g.