modern tups materials

Old August 12th, 2004, 12:58 AM
MichaelM

Default modern tups materials

Had some great fun fishing some old fashioned Tup's (14's & 16's fine wired
hooks) recently. Fished slightly awashed, these are deadly imitations of
spinners Can't help but notice that they are somewhat different to what I
presently see for sale in tackle shops. The old Tups had a darkish hackle
compared to the modern counterparts. Since the trout on my stretch have
shown their preference already, and therefore I should like to tie up an old
Tups. Short of Ram's testicle fur (as per the original tying), what is a
reasonable substitute?

Old August 12th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Mike Connor

"MichaelM" wrote in message
Had some great fun fishing some old fashioned Tup's (14's & 16's fine

wired
hooks) recently. Fished slightly awashed, these are deadly imitations of
spinners Can't help but notice that they are somewhat different to what I
presently see for sale in tackle shops. The old Tups had a darkish hackle
compared to the modern counterparts. Since the trout on my stretch have
shown their preference already, and therefore I should like to tie up an

old
Tups. Short of Ram's testicle fur (as per the original tying), what is a
reasonable substitute?

Pink (?!?) ( or a mix, red, yellow etc) pullover, and "tweedy" socks with a
bit of grey in the tumble dryer, and "bobīs yer ferkin"!

Use "watershed" on the dubbing, ( which you collect from the dryer sieve),
and the stuff is more or less unsinkable to boot.

One of the main attractions of such dubbing, ( at least for the fish), is
the "multi-colour/shade" effect. Such flies simply catch more fish.
TL
MC

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:18 PM
MichaelM

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

Pink (?!?) ( or a mix, red, yellow etc) pullover, and "tweedy" socks with

bit of grey in the tumble dryer, and "bobīs yer ferkin"!

Use "watershed" on the dubbing, ( which you collect from the dryer sieve),
and the stuff is more or less unsinkable to boot.

One of the main attractions of such dubbing, ( at least for the fish), is
the "multi-colour/shade" effect. Such flies simply catch more fish.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll take a look at what my wardrobe has to
offer! Seriously, the Tups is a great fly indeed; wished that I'd bothered
using it earlier (like 10 years at least), as I always had some in my
flybox, but never really thought to give one a go. I suppose that I never
liked the rather surreal looking body, and for my dries I got wooed over
with the more lifelike (to me) quill bodies, or rabbit underfur dubbings.
Anyhow, I now know that the trout love 'em, although on my stream that
night, they preferred them slightly awash (spinners), or so I think.

The patterns that I have once belonged to my grandfather, and they have to
be at least 40 years old. He fished the Driffield Beck with these flies,
along with about half a dozen other patterns. The whisks and (softish)
hackles are much darker than the modern tyings that I see in the shops.
What do you two guys use for the hackle and whisks for this excellent fly?
I might get organised enough to post a photo of the last remaining specimen
of this fly from my grandfather's collection.

I must say that the fine wired hooks of yesteryear are IMHO better than the
relatively heavy things that I see and buy in the shops. Where can you buy
nice old fashioned 1950's style dryfly hooks?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Michael.

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM
MichaelM

"Clark Reid" wrote in message
I have used blends of Superfine and fine it outstanding. The tups is a

great
old fly!

Thanks for the response: what is superfine: I'm not familiar with it, what
is its basic description? What do you use for the hackle and whisk ? Any
photos of your tyings of this fly would be appreciated. I've only one of my
old originals left, so need to get replicating sooner rather than later, as
there's only about 6 or 7 weeks left beside the stream this season!

Regards,
Michael.