Will Bass eat soon after getting hooked?

Old August 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Will Bass eat soon after getting hooked?

I always wondered. I posted a picture of a fish my buddy Jeremy caught early
this morning. This fish had some serious hook wounds that were healing up.
Good size fish and very distinctive lower lip from all the times it was
hooked...... I caught this fish yesterday morning on the same lure, a Blue
Saphire Ozmo dipped halfway in green watermelon garlic, This fish hardly
fought either time tending to just want to go deep after being hooked,
didn't flop one time while it was in the boat either. On another lake there
is a fish with distinct patterns that hangs out in the same spot all the
time, This fish we have named "Rufus" it has been caught and released at
least 6 times that we know of and again like the big fish, no jump and kinda
comes to the boat like a wet sock. Anyone else experience this? Just
curious. There was also a fish that I had caught about two weeks ago, gut
hooked with a 2/0 red gammy, That fish has been caught two more times since
then, just as hungry now as it was then.

Old August 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Chris Rennert

alwaysfishking wrote:
[...]

Randy,

I have seen some crazy stuff along those lines. I caught a 22" brown
trout that had a huge thunderstick stuck in its mouth, eye, and back. I
caught a Smallies, that had a old rotting jig hanging out of its anus,
and line coming out of its throat, and huge claws froma crayfish stick
out of its throat that was a very recent feed. I have caught a
largemouth on back to back days on the same exact bait (could tell by
specific scars).

Yet, (this isn't personal experience, but a study I have read) , where
after a particular tagged fish was hook for what they believe to be the
first time ever, for the next six months, when a boat came near it, and
a bait hit the water, it would run over 100 yards away as quick as it
possibly could.

So I don't know, Brown trout are supposed to be the most sensitive
feeders out there (intelligent they say) (fresh water, along with
bluegills I think). But I have caught the same steelhead within an hour
, but being it was attempting to spawn it was very territorial(and I
hate myself for hooking it once, let alone twice, but there was a huge
pod of them,and it was cold out, and needed some action) My friend and
I found a summer run steelhead in May in one river that probably went
about 13lbs, that I ran across and fished with 4lb test and a 1"
crawfish I picked from the rocks under a float, and every time I swung
past him he would move out of the way. My buddy had 2lb test fluoro
running even a smaller craw and the fish actually moved and smashed his
bait right as it settled about 20' away from where it was sitting when I
was fishing it. I know the brown and steelhead are not bass, but those
instances I think show the individualism of not only the species
themselves, but fish as a whole. Those are the factors in fishing that
keep me coming back, knowing that the quarry doesn't you are pursuing
isn't the same from individual to individual!

Chris
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Yes and no.

I have specifically prefished for tournaments, and found that in spots where
I hooked fish they often weren't there or wouldn't hit in the next couple
days. Other spots where I had seen fish flash or had them hit, but was able
to shake them off without hooking them I caught fish on following days.

That being said. I have caught and released fish only to have them hit
again right after going back in the water.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Richard Liebert

There is a 4lb LM in a local hole that I catch all summer long. He waits 2
days between hookups.

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Chris Rennert

Richard Liebert wrote:
[...]

Now that is a sustained, consistent test bed to work from. Being
totally serious, is it 2 days exactly, or roughly. It would be
fascinating to think that this fishes memory of the stressful event only
lasts a couple days. Also , are you catching him on the same lure, or
on the first day do you catch him on a jig, and 2 days later, he won't
touch the jig, or he does, but it has to be a different color.

Thanks for any further info you can throw us.

Chris
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:59 PM
RichZ

alwaysfishking wrote:
I always wondered. I posted a picture of a fish my buddy Jeremy caught early

At one time, I was involved in a tagging project, and caught one fish at
least 7 times. 5 of those times on the same lure, from the same tree.
Since I'd caught a similar sized fish from that tree on that worm before
I started the tagging, I suspect that I'd caught it at least once and
possibly several times before the 'official' count began. During the
same project, I once caught a dumb fish 3 times in one day, all from the
same little turn in the weedline, and all on a 7-1/4" black grape Creme
Shimmy Gal.

More recently, I caught a pig last year in April on a grub and caught
the exact same fish in July on a Drop Shot rig. The 2nd time around it
was almost 3/4 pound lighter. Both times it came from reasonably deep
water (15 to 20 feet), and both times ate a very small bait for a fish
of its size (7-13 in April, 7-2 in July)

Old August 25th, 2005, 04:01 AM
James

I have caught the same bass four times in less than thirty minutes...

To explain: She was on the bed and I had just bought my underwater camera.
I saw Bill Dance do it on TV, so I had to try. It worked. She kept picking
it up to move it off the bed.

I realize this doesn't answer your question because this doesn't really
apply to day-to-day fishing, but I had to share.

James

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM

About 2 weeks ago I caught the same bass twice within 20 mins.
Different lures but roughly the same spot of water, maybe 15 yards
apart.

Old October 9th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Sandon L. Joren

Sandy Joren
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message ...