midge vise

Old August 1st, 2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

Default midge vise

I'm perfectly happy with my Regal vise .... down to about #18 hooks.

Smaller than that ( starts about now with tricos and goes until the end of
the season ) I never seem to have enough room for all ten of my thumbs
around a hook with it ( or I chip the vise by "incorrectly inserting" the
small hook ).

All of which leads to my current request for suggestions for
a vise to use specifically with small hooks ( down to 24s) .... I'm
willing to buy/pay for quality but I don't need frills, just a strong grip
and some room left for the ham fisted.

thanks in advance

Old August 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"Larry L" wrote

( down to 24s) ....

maybe 26s, now that I think about it

Old August 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:11:18 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

I'm perfectly happy with my Regal vise .... down to about #18 hooks.

Smaller than that ( starts about now with tricos and goes until the end of
the season ) I never seem to have enough room for all ten of my thumbs
around a hook with it ( or I chip the vise by "incorrectly inserting" the
small hook ).

All of which leads to my current request for suggestions for
a vise to use specifically with small hooks ( down to 24s) .... I'm
willing to buy/pay for quality but I don't need frills, just a strong grip
and some room left for the ham fisted.

thanks in advance

http://www.regalvise.com/midgeindex.html

/daytripper
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Thomas Schreiber[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with my Regal vise .... down to about #18 hooks.

Smaller than that ( starts about now with tricos and goes until the end of
the season ) I never seem to have enough room for all ten of my thumbs
around a hook with it ( or I chip the vise by "incorrectly inserting" the
small hook ).

All of which leads to my current request for suggestions for
a vise to use specifically with small hooks ( down to 24s) .... I'm
willing to buy/pay for quality but I don't need frills, just a strong grip
and some room left for the ham fisted.

I use my Renzetti traveller for all my flytying with no problem. Also
size 26.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Thomas Schreiber
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly

Larry L wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with my Regal vise .... down to about #18 hooks.

Smaller than that ( starts about now with tricos and goes until the end of
the season ) I never seem to have enough room for all ten of my thumbs
around a hook with it ( or I chip the vise by "incorrectly inserting" the
small hook ).

All of which leads to my current request for suggestions for
a vise to use specifically with small hooks ( down to 24s) .... I'm
willing to buy/pay for quality but I don't need frills, just a strong grip
and some room left for the ham fisted.

thanks in advance

Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler(cam). If you need it, you can buy
the Midge Jaw assembly for it.

brians

Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

Larry, if, as you state, you are happy with the Regal,
just get the midge jaws for it. As a longtime Renzetti owner, I would agree
with the other votes for that brand,
but for considerably less money, you could continue
tying with the vise you know.
Tom

Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

midge vice snip snip

Renzetti presentation 3000. cost you about $350 but is a hell of a
vise. especially if you're "ham fisted"

Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:40:14 GMT, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

Larry, if, as you state, you are happy with the Regal,
just get the midge jaws for it. As a longtime Renzetti owner, I would agree
with the other votes for that brand,
but for considerably less money, you could continue
tying with the vise you know.
Tom

Exactly.

My first good vise was a Regal 360, and I really enjoy tying on it. I later
inherited the Renzetti Traveler that I had gifted to my dad. The Regal
provides a really comfortable place to rest my left hand while tying, and can
handle really big sal****er ties without issue, and works fine down to around
a #16, but the original jaws are pretty clumsy for tying #20 or smaller flies.

Otoh, the Renzetti (especially with the cam upgrade I put on it) handles tiny
flies with aplomb, but the vise really isn't happy doing anything larger than
around a #4 hook. And there's no comfortable spot to rest my left hand.

I use the Regal for bigger flies and the Renzetti for small stuff. But if
Regal Engineering had come out with the midge jaws for my 360 before my dad
passed, I'd have bought a set...

/daytripper
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"daytripper" wrote

I use the Regal for bigger flies and the Renzetti for small stuff. But if
Regal Engineering had come out with the midge jaws for my 360 before my
dad
passed, I'd have bought a set...

My Regal is old ... 15 years+ and has the stem connection on the bottom (
straight stem from pedestal to head, not curved ) .... not sure if the midge
head would work and Regal is "on vacation" when I call them to ask

I like the idea of a Regal midge head ... so I'll find out for sure before
buying anything else. I actually own two Regals ( long story ) and feel
three vises seems a bit excessive g so just a new head appeals, also. A
further note is that one of the already owned ones has the infamous
"incorrectly inserted hook" chip(s) out of the jaws, so new jaws only makes
even more sense

thanks for the link, daytripper, I didn't know such jaws existed for the
Regal