Madison River Conclave - schedule? other questions..

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Michael Makela

Default Madison River Conclave - schedule? other questions..

I now it's a bit early, but was wondering who's arriving, when, for
the Madison River Clave???

Just booked my flight to come in on the 8th. I had a frequent flyer
ticket to use and couldn't get it for Friday or Saturday, so I had to
go for the Thursday date (not that I'm disapointed, but still need to
break the news to the wife). Had to book the flight into Jackson
Hole, so it may take me two days to get past all of the other water,
and scenery, on the way up to the Clave.

It's my first time out to this great part of the world and wil be
solo, so if anyone else will be coming from the South around the same
time , let me know maybe we can get in some early fishing.

Have lots of other questions but I'll start with just one more. I
have an older T & T 6 wt that's a bit heavy and probably don't want to
cast that rod all day so I'm thinking about either buying a basic 6
weight rod, or just sticking to my favorite Sage 590 SP and/or RPL.
They tend to get me by on streams that a 6 wt is recommended, but
should I think about cutting into the Madison River budget for a new 6
weight, or just saving the cash for a bit pocket cash on the trip?

O.K. maybe one more question..I also have a 3 and 4 weight I could
bring along if the need is there. Will we be fishin any smaller
streams where a shorter, lighter, rod would be required?

Mike Makela
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:05 AM
troutbum_mt

says...
Just booked my flight to come in on the 8th. I had a frequent flyer
ticket to use and couldn't get it for Friday or Saturday, so I had to
go for the Thursday date (not that I'm disapointed, but still need to
break the news to the wife). Had to book the flight into Jackson
Hole, so it may take me two days to get past all of the other water,
and scenery, on the way up to the Clave.

Glad to hear it! Drop me an email so we can discuss your arrangements.
I also have some ideas I would like to discuss with you.

Have lots of other questions but I'll start with just one more. I
have an older T & T 6 wt that's a bit heavy and probably don't want to
cast that rod all day so I'm thinking about either buying a basic 6
weight rod, or just sticking to my favorite Sage 590 SP and/or RPL.
They tend to get me by on streams that a 6 wt is recommended, but
should I think about cutting into the Madison River budget for a new 6
weight, or just saving the cash for a bit pocket cash on the trip?

A 5wt will be fine. If you need a 6, I have plenty to offer.

O.K. maybe one more question..I also have a 3 and 4 weight I could
bring along if the need is there. Will we be fishin any smaller
streams where a shorter, lighter, rod would be required?

Bring the 4wt. Our "smaller streams" are NC rivers and not nearly as
overgrown. A 8' 4wt is about perfect for the "side trips" IMO. Maybe
Jeff or Charlie will have some insights though. I hear Jeff fishes the
feeder creeks of the feeder creeks (RC Clave) when he comes out to
visit.... ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Jeff Miller

Michael Makela wrote:
I now it's a bit early, but was wondering who's arriving, when, for
the Madison River Clave???

Just booked my flight to come in on the 8th. I had a frequent flyer
ticket to use and couldn't get it for Friday or Saturday, so I had to
go for the Thursday date (not that I'm disapointed, but still need to
break the news to the wife). Had to book the flight into Jackson
Hole, so it may take me two days to get past all of the other water,
and scenery, on the way up to the Clave.

i haven't booked my flight yet, but will probably do so in the next two
weeks. what time are you arriving in j-hole? i'd like to visit that
side of the park and tetons ... maybe share a car rental for a couple
days of fishing on the way to the madison cabin and meet up with indian
joe. warren...how far is j-hole from the clave or bozeman? can you get
off a few days early?

Have lots of other questions but I'll start with just one more. I
have an older T & T 6 wt that's a bit heavy and probably don't want to
cast that rod all day so I'm thinking about either buying a basic 6
weight rod, or just sticking to my favorite Sage 590 SP and/or RPL.
They tend to get me by on streams that a 6 wt is recommended, but
should I think about cutting into the Madison River budget for a new 6
weight, or just saving the cash for a bit pocket cash on the trip?

O.K. maybe one more question..I also have a 3 and 4 weight I could
bring along if the need is there. Will we be fishin any smaller
streams where a shorter, lighter, rod would be required?

save the cash. i fished with a 3 weight on rock creek most of the time
and had a blast. only problems were when the wind got up. i think a 4 or
5 weight would be adequate for the fishing i've experienced out there.
i'm taking 3,4, and 5 weights. you can always borrow a rod out
there...bring your reels. there is really big water, but there are many
smaller streams too...penns, fishing creek size...and a few cherry run
size. willi walked me back into a dribbler that flowed into rock creek
and showed me his talent for fishing in overgrown wisps of water. 3
weight would have been best in there (i had my 9' 5 weight)... that was
fun, but out there, i think you'll want to see some of the bigger water
and scenery. you'd probably like to see an alpine lake too...i hope to
visit another one full of grayling. it's just an incredible, fun place
to wander about and fish. and the guys out there will make your trip a
terrific and memorable experience.

jeff

Mike Makela

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Charlie Choc

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:18:48 -0500, Jeff Miller
wrote:

save the cash. i fished with a 3 weight on rock creek most of the time
and had a blast. only problems were when the wind got up. i think a 4 or
5 weight would be adequate for the fishing i've experienced out there.

I used a 5wt when I was fishing foam hoppers, but a 3 or 4wt most of
the rest of the time. What I saw of the Madison the year before last
was more open than Rock Creek, though, so wind may be more of an
issue.
--
Charlie...
Old February 25th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Willi

Michael Makela wrote:

I now it's a bit early, but was wondering who's arriving, when, for
the Madison River Clave???

Just booked my flight to come in on the 8th. I had a frequent flyer
ticket to use and couldn't get it for Friday or Saturday, so I had to
go for the Thursday date (not that I'm disapointed, but still need to
break the news to the wife). Had to book the flight into Jackson
Hole, so it may take me two days to get past all of the other water,
and scenery, on the way up to the Clave.

Good to hear you're coming. You'll have a blast!

Bring Tom with ya!

It's my first time out to this great part of the world and wil be
solo, so if anyone else will be coming from the South around the same
time , let me know maybe we can get in some early fishing.

Have lots of other questions but I'll start with just one more. I
have an older T & T 6 wt that's a bit heavy and probably don't want to
cast that rod all day so I'm thinking about either buying a basic 6
weight rod, or just sticking to my favorite Sage 590 SP and/or RPL.
They tend to get me by on streams that a 6 wt is recommended, but
should I think about cutting into the Madison River budget for a new 6
weight, or just saving the cash for a bit pocket cash on the trip?

For me a powerful 5 wt. is standard on bigger water. I fish a 9' 4wt. if
I don't plan on flinging lead.

O.K. maybe one more question..I also have a 3 and 4 weight I could
bring along if the need is there. Will we be fishin any smaller
streams where a shorter, lighter, rod would be required?

Small is a relative term. They'll probably be people fishing smaller
waters most days but they'll be LOTS bigger and far less overgrown than
the little Brookie streams you took me too. A light rod is fun but not
needed.

Willi

Old February 25th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Willi

wrote:

save the cash. i fished with a 3 weight on rock creek most of the time
and had a blast. only problems were when the wind got up. i think a 4 or
5 weight would be adequate for the fishing i've experienced out there.

I used a 5wt when I was fishing foam hoppers, but a 3 or 4wt most of
the rest of the time. What I saw of the Madison the year before last
was more open than Rock Creek, though, so wind may be more of an
issue.

Something to keep in mind, the Madison is bigger water than Rock Creek
and being earlier in the year, flows should be greater.

Willi

Old February 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Charlie Choc

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:30:00 -0700, Willi wrote:

Something to keep in mind, the Madison is bigger water than Rock Creek
and being earlier in the year, flows should be greater.

That's what I figured. I'll bring a 6wt too, maybe even a 7wt. That's
one advantage of driving over flying, you can bring more stuff. g
--
Charlie...
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Lat705

If I were taking only one rod (instead of the usual dozen), it would be a fast
action 8 foot six inch to nine foot 4 weight.

Lou T