moose hair

Old May 31st, 2005, 12:49 AM
lurk

Default moose hair

moose hair good for dry or wet flies...... thanks

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM
Daniel-San

"lurk" wrote in message
moose hair good for dry or wet flies...... thanks

moose hair good for dry..... welcome

Old May 31st, 2005, 03:01 PM
Goat

lurk wrote:
moose hair good for dry or wet flies...... thanks

Hey, speaking of moose hair...
I have a bunch of moose hair that was given to me, yet I have not tied
anything with it. Any good patterns (and/or links) for moose hair or just
use it like I would deer/elk hair? Say maybe a "Moose Hair Caddis"?

Old May 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Daniel-San

Hey, speaking of moose hair...
I have a bunch of moose hair that was given to me, yet I have not tied
anything with it. Any good patterns (and/or links) for moose hair or just
use it like I would deer/elk hair? Say maybe a "Moose Hair Caddis"?

I'm sure there are many folks here with a better answer, but I use moose
mane for tails on Catskill-type dries more than anything. I've used moose
body hair mostly for wings, with mixed results (most likely operator error
here, but it seems that to get a reasonable wing, too much hair is used,
making the fly top-heavy).

I've also used moose mane in place of the pheasant tail for the Teeny Nymph.
Couldn't find the right color pheasant (dark) around here, so I went with
the moose mane. Looks OK, have not fished it yet. Wraps easily for that
pattern.

I'd guess it would work well in almost any pattern that's dark and dry.

Dan

Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Mike McGuire

Daniel-San wrote:
[...]

To add to this, here's a good trick if you are using moose hair for
tails. Instead of cutting off and evening up a few fibers for the tail
as you tie each fly, cut of a whole bunch--say a finger diameter's
worth--stack it in a hair stacker, and bind it together around the base
of the stack. That way you have a large quantity of evened up fibers
ready to go. Cut fibers from the bundle as you need them.

Mike
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Salmo

There's hundreds of moose hair patterns in the SPAWNER magazines and some
patterns are available on-line. The 2005 edition is due out this week and
there are 20 of 26 back issues available. All the flies found in the issues
1979 to 2002 are listed. This isn't a sales pitch...just telling it like it
is.

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/spawn

Keith P.
Salmonoholic