Too much water!

Old September 29th, 2004, 02:44 AM
John Kerr

Default Too much water!

I havn't been posting much lately...been out fishing . As many of you
know, I am a transplanted Californian, now living in Kentucky. I live a
few miles from Kentucky and Barkley Lakes...big lakes! I can catch bass
consistently, but that is when I am fishing the spots I know that they
are there...boat docks, and inhabited areas of the lakes. But I love to
fish in the more natural settings...just me and the wilderness so to
speak. But theses lakes are really big.....just too much water, can't
seem to find "that" spot" on them. In California, the lakes were "ponds"
compared to this, and I could always pin point the "spots" pretty quick
out there. I have all the maps, talk to all the local "in the know"
people...but I still see too much water out there, and move around way
too much I fear. "The water's greener on the other side of the hill
thing". I keep seeing what I thnk are better areas .
Anyone else have this problem.....yea, I know, what a great problem to
have, hu? grin
JK

Old September 29th, 2004, 02:58 AM
go-bassn

Welcome to "real" bass fishing John! What exactly is it that you're looking
for in "that" spot?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old September 29th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Chris Rennert

John,

I fish the Winnebago system (which includes Lake Winnebago, Lake Poygan,
Lake butte des morts, Lake Winneconne, the Fox River, and the Wolf River) as
well as various creeks that come off of each body of water. This system is
HUGE. Bottom line is, and this may be an over simplification, knowing the
habits of the fish is the only way I find fish. We have mid lake humps
(rock), points, slop, flats, bridges, (not much wood), and tons of Rip Rap.
One thing I did once I finally got a decent boat was take my topo, highlight
areas where I felt fish would be, or near and spent a day or 2 discovering
those areas, using my electronics. The beauty of it is 90% of the spots
have held fish consistently, granted the quality is not always there, but
the areas do sustain life. One problem I have is that I am always in
tournament mode, and not in recreational mode, so maybe catching 20 smallies
in an outting would be a good time in recreational mode, but if they are all
12", it is worthless to me, except for the fact that there is life in that
area.
I know I don't have to tell you to trust your instincts, but I break this
system (and every lake I fish) into parts, almost segment it out, and
concentrate on that area. To me viewing a lake as a whole it to
intimidating, you need to find areas that you feel will hold fish by asking
yourself all the standard questions.. spawning access, cover, food, deep
water escape.
The nice thing about living on this system is that I get used to big water,
I have a plan for every wind that blows , and every significant weather
shift. When my dad views this lake he rolls into the fetal position in a
dark corner somewhere and cries for hours. That is not how I wanted to be
:-). Something I read in a computer programming book sometime ago told me
to break things down further and further until I could easily understand it
all, that is how I approach things now.
I don't want to come across like I am so pro, and have it all figured out,
but this is just how I disected the Winnebago system, and have had a lot of
success catching the fish I target.

Chris Rennert
http://www.chrisrennert.com

Old September 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM
alwaysfishking

I usually just fish where I think they will be....then check where I think
they won't be.. sometimes I'm wrong on both counts.. :-)

Old September 29th, 2004, 03:26 PM
go-bassn

Excellent advice Chris!

John, the old addage "90% of the fish are in 10% of the water" holds true
bigtime on lakes like Kentucky/Barkley. Another advantage you have over
those CA ponds is that pattern fishing comes into its own on huge systems.
Get real familiar with seasonal patterns, pay special attention to water
temps & get out there & use your electronics to uncover secrets. And like
Chris said, don't try to take on the whole lake, justa small portion & learn
it intimately. Pick a section that offers the most "options" & put in your
time. You'll have amazing days out there, as I hear your lakes are once
again in their "prime"...

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:14 PM
John Kerr

Too much water!

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Sep 29, 2004, 3:07am (CDT+5)
From: (Chris=A0Rennert)
John,
[...]
"=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chris, thanks for the input....good advice!
Guess I am too impatient...want instant gratification . Think I should
just start enjoying the "hunt" more, and not worry about having a bass
on the line all the time.
JK

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:14 PM
John Kerr

Old September 30th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Bob La Londe

John,

I share your problem. Not just too much water, but almost all of it has
features that should hold fish. I'm going back to fishing the stuff that
produced for me last year instead of trying to find newer and better spots.
When I have exhausted my ability to milk a better fish or two out of those
waters then I'll start exploring again.

I have a few backwaters I know fairly well, and a few banks in the channel I
have flipped good fish off of. Thats all I am going to fish the rest of the
year unless my back boater just wants to go for a ride.

Bob