ribbing wulffs

Old June 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default ribbing wulffs

wrote in message
oups.com...

schrieb:

Calf body hair.

http://flytyingworld.com/dryflies.htm

TL
MC

Interesting site.
How critical to a tied fly is holding dimensions to tolerance?
-tom

Old June 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 27 Jun 2006 13:22:29 -0700, wrote:

I agree in principle but I was schooled differently on the Wullf...the
flies in this photograph do not have the proportions you alude to
right?

http://business.virgin.net/flyfishin...ulff-grey.html

From the "photograph" at the site, I can't tell with certainty on this
screen. I'm not sure that is a photo, or at least, an unretouched/
"unPhotoshopped" photo. Also, it appears to be a repeated, single
image. IAC, from what it appears, yes, IMO, the proportions appear more
or less OK.

Compare that with this:

http://www.phoneflies.com/individual...wulff/1206.asp

Again, on this screen, the tail on this one appears too short. I'll,
um, just ignore the rest of the fly...

TC,

Thanks guys, this has been bugging me, pun intended.

TBone

Old June 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 27 Jun 2006 13:32:00 -0700, wrote:

schrieb:

schrieb:

Calf body hair.

http://flytyingworld.com/dryflies.htm

TL
MC

Oops, left out the instructions!

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/royal_wullf/

TL
MC

Bad Timmy, bad, bad, Timmy...encoding Mike Connor's name in a post when
you should know full well that he feels that it's "a mistake to post
here at all, one I should have learned by now not to make. It wont
happen again." But I gotta say, Mikey, you sure are getting your
money's worth with Connorwatch...I didn't even notice the coded
references to you, but they it deciphered and emailed you in no time at
all so you could post link....HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!!

SNICKER,
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Conan The Librarian wrote:

The way I've been tying mine seems to help with the problem of
"nose-heavy" flies, but will probably make the purists cringe. I use
"parapost" synthetics for the wing, and I don't always bother to post
the wings separately. *gasp*

No gasping here. The man himself wrote the the single upright
winged
versions worked just as well as the more 'popular' split wing.

The synthetic is lighter than calfhair, and creates less mass where
it's tied in. IME that makes for a fly that's less nose-heavy and neater.

Try some high quality marabou for a wing if you can ... makes for
a very attractive tie for a Royal. (Dessicant rather than paste
floatants
though)

Chuck Vance (who needs all the help he can get in the neatness
department)

:-) One day I'll put up a pic of my tying bench somewhere.

Steve

Old June 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Stephen Welsh wrote:
Conan The Librarian wrote:

The way I've been tying mine seems to help with the problem of
"nose-heavy" flies, but will probably make the purists cringe. I use
"parapost" synthetics for the wing, and I don't always bother to post
the wings separately. *gasp*

No gasping here. The man himself wrote the the single upright
winged
versions worked just as well as the more 'popular' split wing.

The synthetic is lighter than calfhair, and creates less mass where
it's tied in. IME that makes for a fly that's less nose-heavy and neater.

Try some high quality marabou for a wing if you can ... makes for
a very attractive tie for a Royal. (Dessicant rather than paste
floatants
though)

I believe the wing is only useful for visibility (by the angler). The
fish couldn't care less because they don't see it.

The only upright wings I tie on dry flies are synthetic post-wings for
parachute patterns.

Old June 28th, 2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
nk.net...
Stephen Welsh wrote:
Conan The Librarian wrote:

The way I've been tying mine seems to help with the problem of
"nose-heavy" flies, but will probably make the purists cringe. I use
"parapost" synthetics for the wing, and I don't always bother to post
the wings separately. *gasp*

IJ suggests -bottom loading i hope----royal wolf is my go to and in small
mountain streams seems to do the job---strongly suggest that my friend at
Troutflies sells them for 99cents each--they may be imported but none of
the small brookies I caught this past weekend just off the Blue ridge -
seemed to be worried about " fair trade"-- they were just hungry until the
sun was able to get thru the trees and onto to the creek. and throw some
shadows.
Please do not post any thing about the western clave --my planned
unattendance is causing a evening manhatten attack --do you think that
blond from Va. [ i think Las Vegas ] will be down at the seaside
bar?

Old June 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

Interesting site.
How critical to a tied fly is holding dimensions to tolerance?
-tom

In my opinion, it is more critical on some flies than others, especially
flies that ride on the surface using only the wing and the tail like a wulff
or an adams, or any subsurface fly where you are depending on the way the
fly lands and moves through the water. Most of the time "near-enough" is
probably going to be OK.

Old June 28th, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:47:40 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

schrieb:

Calf body hair.

http://flytyingworld.com/dryflies.htm

TL
MC

Interesting site.
How critical to a tied fly is holding dimensions to tolerance?
-tom

I would try and stay close. A balanced fly floats" better" and is
easier to cast. The rib holds the floss together and is an important
part of the tye.

Harry
troutflies com

....I'm not a fan of floss on a dry fly, but, ...it works
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:
Tying up a batch of small wulffs for a trip.

Royal I presume? My comments follow: YMMV

1) Do you guys rib them? They look better in my eye with some fine
gold wire or crystal flash, though this is not apparent on any
pattern or references.

I don't tie these too often anymore. In most of the places I fish an
Ausable (Fran Betters' variant). I rib most of the peacock bodied flies I
tie with fine gold wire because I think it looks good with the peacock and I
like a fine wire better than tinsel on smaller flies. I have seen gold wire
ribbing in at least one of my tying books - don't recall which offhand. I
would guess one of Dick Talleur's. I don't rib an Ausable except on really
big ones and then I just use thread.

2) Do you use deer or elk? Can you articulate what makes good hair?

I use woodchuck tail most often. It's fine, stiff, waterproof, pretty
straight, and often has some color variation at the tips.

3) When you tie in the wing is it about 1/2 way up the shank?

Depends on how heavy you intend to do the hackle. I like a size-too-small
hackle covering half the shank on my Ausables so I put the wing just about
1/3 shank length back from the eye. If I'm going sparser, I'll put the wing
1/4 of the way back, I also usually substitute snowshoe hare for the calf
tail on the wings. Not as bright but floats better.

4) How long do you make the tails?

Shank length.

I ask 3 and 4 because I have had some problems with Wullf's riding on
their noses though they look fine.

You can always clip the bottom hackle to help them float 'right'.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps