Jackplate Installation

Old March 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM
George

Default Jackplate Installation

Ok.... I'm going to install my own jackplate, hopefully this weeken, and here's
what I plan on doing.... please fill me in on anything that is wrong.....
thanks in advance! George

03 Skeeter SX180 w/Yamaha 130 (motor is mounted in the 3rd of 4 holes)
Hydrodynamics 7" manual jackplate

- Level the boat to the ground (from the pad to the ground) and measure the
distance
- Level the motor to the ground (from the cavitation plate to the ground) and
measure the distance between the center of the propshaft and the ground
- Subtract the motor measurement from the boat measurement
- Unbolt the motor from the transome and support it
- Silicone the bolts and holes
- Bolt the jackplate to the transome using transome washers
- Mount the motor to the jackplate
- Set the motor to the original height
- Adjust the motor height 1/4" at a time until the RPM's increase but the top
end doesn't

Questions

What hole should I use to mount the motor to the jackplate?

Am I measuring and subtracting right?

What range should I keep my waterpressure?

George
Bucks County, PA
a href="http://www.911bassanglers.com911 Bass Anglers/a
a href="http://www.outdoorfrontiers.comOutdoor Frontiers/a
a href="http://www.nmnp.orgNew Media For Non Profits/a
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"George" wrote in message
[...]

***Probably a lower hole on the motor than you used before. If you use the
same holes, the motor is actually going to be sitting lower in the water
than before.

Am I measuring and subtracting right?

***It sounds right.

What range should I keep my waterpressure?

***I was told with my boat to not let it drop below 12 psi or you'll risk
burning the powerhead up. You should go out with the proper wrench to
adjust the jackplate, a handheld gps and a stopwatch. Engine height is
going to play a factor in how fast your boat gets up on plane, as well as
top end speed. Getting the most rpm's and speed out of the boat might cause
time on plane to suffer. Also, you might have to feather the throttle to
get the boat to plane because if the engine height is raised, you're lifting
the prop closer to the surface, which could allow cavitation and prop
blowout if you simply punch it. So time the boat getting on plane, watch
top speed on the gps and ALWAYS keep an eye on the water pressure gauge.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com