Shimano Calyx troubleshooting

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:19 PM

Default Shimano Calyx troubleshooting

Hi,
I just found a Shimano Calyx on closeout at WallyWorld for $62...
brought it home and opened up the package. Pulled out some of the
pre-spooled line and went to crank it back in (waiting to feel that
silky smooth action I found with my Shimano Spirex spinning reel) and
was appalled to feel a jerk-jerk-jerk as I cranked in the line.
Is this normal for this reel? Or is it defective?
If I crank in fast, I don't really feel it, but at anything less than
a fast retrieve, it feels like it's pulsating. Is it a magnetic
anti-backlash? I don't get it.

Thanks,

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
Bob La Londe

Dig out your receipt and send it to Shimano for warranty repair.
--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I just found a Shimano Calyx on closeout at WallyWorld for $62...
brought it home and opened up the package. Pulled out some of the
pre-spooled line and went to crank it back in (waiting to feel that
silky smooth action I found with my Shimano Spirex spinning reel) and
was appalled to feel a jerk-jerk-jerk as I cranked in the line.

***If it had line on, it was a customer return. Shimano doesn't sell reels
pre-spooled with line.

Is this normal for this reel? Or is it defective?

***This is not normal for that reel. It might be defective, it might be
that down deep, there's a backlash and a loop of line has gotten between the
spool and the frame. Pull off all the line and see if that's the case. If
that isn't it, either see if you can exchange it for a different reel, or
send it back to Shimano. They'll either replace it or repair it, depending
on what is wrong. Either way, you'll have a good reel.

If I crank in fast, I don't really feel it, but at anything less than
a fast retrieve, it feels like it's pulsating. Is it a magnetic
anti-backlash? I don't get it.

***It's definitely not the magnetic anti-backlash.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Charles Summers

More than likely is that one of the plastic gears is fouled. I know that
feeling all too well, but not with any Shimano product. Most of my BPS reels
have done that at one time or another, but luckily I've figured out how to
replace those gears.

Take it back to Wal-Mart, tell them you bought it and it was damaged at the
time... get a replacement. The guy that returned it probably never told them
it was screwed up... or maybe he did and the "Customer Service Clerk"
(coulda been Al, who knows) never listened, nor probably didn't care and
just sent it back out to the floor.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Brad Coovert

You got a reel that was returned by a customer to WalMart. Shimano does not
put line on reels.

Take it back.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM
alwayfishking

One of the wal marts here sold 10 of them new in the box for 8 bucks a
piece. They also sold 5 curado's for 17 bucks a piece, I wasn't fortunate
enought to be there 10 minutes earlier. The guy with the calyx's had a smile
so big he was knocking people over with his lips everytime he turned around.
From a few of the stores I visited, it seems the calyx's were discounted big
time during the annual spring clearence sale. You will see them on e-bay, I
saw one sell the other day on e-bay for 36.00, Not bad for a 79.00 reel,
especially if you only paid 8 bucks, just a shame my max bid was 35.00

Old March 4th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Thanks to ALL who responded!

New notes:
1. There was no sign of this reel being repackaged. It comes in a
heat-sealed plastic-topped bubble-kind-of-a-thing and needed to be cut
open with a utility knife - no traces of packaging tape whatsoever.
2. The "jerkiness" occurs exactly SIX times for every crank of the
handle. This is why I thought it was related to the magnets (I opened
the reel to check for problems and saw what looked like a six-pointed
star that seemed to be part of a magnetic anti-backlash system.)
3. When opened, I saw no line wrapped anywhere but the spool and no
visible sign of gear problems.

Something else I just remembered - when I looked at the six-pointed
magnet star, there were what seemed to be tiny pieces of plastic
tubing stuck on the ends of each of the "star" points. Am I supposed
to remove these? The "manual" doesn't mention them.

Thanks again!

Dave

Old March 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Charles Summers

The little plastic things on the 6-pointed star is actually the centrifical
sp brakes. They are either loose on the ends (on), or pushed back toward
the center (off).

To inspect for damaged gears, you would have to remove the handle and the
side plate. Not something easily done the first time. However packaged, I'd
still say you have a bad gear in the reel. The gear will turn faster than
the handle, so 6 turns to 1 sounds about right.

The gear could still be good and maybe have a bit of caked up grease/oil in
one certain spot. If so, a good cleaning and oiling would do the trick. Even
if it's the gear, you can have a shop replace it for about $20.00, or order
it yourself and replace it for about $3.00.

If you decide to tear into the reel, lay everything out in the order it was
removed. Take lots of pictures, and keep track of what screw came out of
which hole. Some can be different sizes or threads.

I hope this helps, and please don't let me talk you out of repairing your
own reels. Just exercise caution and take your time. Once you get past the
first reel... the rest comes easy.

om...

Old March 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
AJH

Those pieces of "plastic tubing" are brakes, don't remove them, I don't
think your reel has magnetic brakes. I am sure one of the guys who uses
Shimano reels can tell you how to set them.