Classic cable has no new group server

Old March 5th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Larry Runkle

Default Classic cable has no new group server

Hey guys, I just switched over to cable internet, and have found out
that they don't have a news group server. I think this came up a while
back and I hope one of you can help me. I know I don't post much, but
I sure don't want to lose this group. Any one know how I can find
another way here. I'm posting this thru google. If you can help email
me.

Larry
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Charles Summers

Comcast doesn't host a newsserver, but they have a deal with Giganews to
provide the service for them. There wasn't much of anything to tell Comcast
user that info, but after a few calls I was able to find out how to sign up.
Check their homepage and call them to see if this may be the fact with
Classic Cable.

Also, Teranews is free and does carry r.o.f.b., but they require a credit
card to be on file (age verification more than anything), and there's a one
time fee of about $4.00. There service is pretty good as well.

Hope this helps.

om...

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:57 PM
RichZ

news.individual.de

You need to join, but it's free and I've never had a moment's trouble with
it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old March 6th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Charles Summers

Where do you sign up for this account Jerry?

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"Jerry" wrote in message

The Comcast news server is netnews.comcast.net, and it does carry rofb.

Old March 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Larry Runkle

Thanks Charles and Rich, I'll check into both of them. At least for
now there is Google.

Larry
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Charles Summers

I tried that with no luck. Maybe it's a regional thing... where are you
located?

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures
http://www.secretweaponlures.com

"Jerry" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:43:13 -0600, "Charles Summers"
wrote:

Where do you sign up for this account Jerry?

There is no "sign up". If you are a comcast customer, you just put the
netnews.comcast.net (or the IP address of one of the servers) into your
news
reader. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Outlook Express or any other
news readers, so I don't know where that would be. In Agent it is under
Options/User and System Profile/System. IP addresses for

netnews.comcast.net
are 63.240.76.16, 204.127. 204.17, 216.148.227.77 and 204.127.199.17.

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Craig Baugher

Well if you see this Charles, in OE, go to tools, accounts, create new News,
add your display name, then your email, then enter netnews.comcast.net (but
on the bottom where it say "does your server require password" leave it
blank. Click Ok, and it is done.

--
Craig Baugher