Help Choosing A Reel"

Old March 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM
B C

Default Help Choosing A Reel"

I have been fishing with close face reels for bass since I was a
child. Now at the age 38 I'm ready to try something new. Can someone
help me pick out the best open face to buy. Now a friend of mine uses
tho's bait casters. But then I see a lot of backlash from time to time.
I willing to spend $50-$100 on a good smooth casing open face. I
usually fish a lot of top water chugbug poppers etc, fish texas rig
some. bussbaits and tubs

Old March 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Charles Summers

The Okumas seem pretty nice, as well as the Shimano Sahara's.

Look he www.digitaldagger.com for the Okumas, and he www.basspro.com,
www.cabelas.com, or your local tackle shop for the Shimanos. There's no need
to spend $100.00 on a spinning reel unless you're gonna get REAL serious
about it. Both of these are good reels, and both are ones that I own.

Be sure to invest in a good rod as well.

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old March 6th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Jerry Barton

With the Okuma's being a lot less costly @ $32.00 for the AV-20 w/free
shipping. I have no money interest in this site, but I like his prices.
http://digitaldagger.com/

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:57 AM
J Buck

I have been fishing with close face reels for bass since I was a child.
Now at the age 38 I'm ready to try something new. Can someone help me
pick out the best open face to buy. Now a friend of mine uses tho's bait
casters. But then I see a lot of backlash from time to time. I willing
to spend $50-$100 on a good smooth casing open face

Uh-oh...here we go again. I promise not to get into it with Warren

Old March 6th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"B C" wrote in message
I have been fishing with close face reels for bass since I was a
child. Now at the age 38 I'm ready to try something new. Can someone
help me pick out the best open face to buy. Now a friend of mine uses
tho's bait casters. But then I see a lot of backlash from time to time.
I willing to spend $50-$100 on a good smooth casing open face. I
usually fish a lot of top water chugbug poppers etc, fish texas rig
some. bussbaits and tubs

If you're looking for a baitcasting reel, look at Shimano Curado reels.
They're a great reel for the money.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
The Citizen Fisherman

I agree completely. I've bought several reels from Rich, and he's the best.
Not only does he discount, which is extremely rare, he ships Okuma and
Shimano free and usually the same day. I also think the Avenger 20 is a hell
of a reel.

--
Tight lines,
Citizen Fisherman

Old March 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Matthew Massey

If you fish a lot of topwater...you are probably going to be more effective
with a spinning set up.

Certainly it will be easier to use, but I also find that I can limit the
amount of slack in my line with a spinning outfit which is important when
you fish topwater.

I'm a big topwater fisherman, and I only use spinning gear and braided line
combo when it comes to topwater.

Cheers,

Matt

Old March 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Jerry Barton

I've bought about 8-10 from him, and I think they're top grade reels, and
Rich is top grade in customer service.

.. .