OT Ice fishing questions

Old February 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Ignoramus32184

Default OT Ice fishing questions

I am in Northern Illinois. We have a small lake nearby.

I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at
least 15 inches thick.

I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty
basic.

1) I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel
prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to
break through that ice.

2) When I was a kid, I walked past a recently abandoned ice fishing
hole in Russia. I was shocked to see a giant quantity of fish crowding
the hole, as if they were starved of air and needed desperately to get
a fresh breath of air. Is that due to oxygen deprivation on an ice
covered lake, or was the hole chummed?

Is there some way to get the same effect? The lake was frozen at least
for 5-6 weeks, IIRC.

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Tom Gardner

"Ignoramus32184" wrote in message
I am in Northern Illinois. We have a small lake nearby.

I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at
least 15 inches thick.

I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty
basic.

1) I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel
prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to
break through that ice.

2) When I was a kid, I walked past a recently abandoned ice fishing
hole in Russia. I was shocked to see a giant quantity of fish crowding
the hole, as if they were starved of air and needed desperately to get
a fresh breath of air. Is that due to oxygen deprivation on an ice
covered lake, or was the hole chummed?

Is there some way to get the same effect? The lake was frozen at least
for 5-6 weeks, IIRC.

Western Lake Erie is the Walleye capital of the world. I've been ice
fishing there since I was a kid. We always had a collapsible canvas shack
built on a pallet-like platform and use an ice auger that drills a 8" hole.
I have dropped onion bags filled with dog food and rocks in the holes to
attract baitfish that attract Yellow Perch, Walleye and Sheepsheads. I
don't know it that actually works. I too have seen fish congregate at a
hole. I think they are curious. When diving, fish come up and bump my mask
all the time; it's like they are saying "Whatcha doin' in there? Got
something to eat?" and I would often hand feed them nightcrawlers. You
would think they would be skittish but they're not and Smallies are the most
curious.

Old February 5th, 2011, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Ignoramus32184

Watch this video at 4:00 seconds. How did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gdEMRdDI

Old February 5th, 2011, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Bob Engelhardt

Ignoramus32184 wrote:
Watch this video at 4:00 seconds. How did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gdEMRdDI

4 minutes he meant.
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Ignoramus32184

On 2011-02-05, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus32184 wrote:
Watch this video at 4:00 seconds. How did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gdEMRdDI

4 minutes he meant.

Yes, sorry, 4:00 minutes
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
anorton

"Ignoramus32184" wrote in message
Watch this video at 4:00 seconds. How did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gdEMRdDI

It must be a fish farm pond

Old February 5th, 2011, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Tom Gardner

"Ignoramus32184" wrote in message
Watch this video at 4:00 seconds. How did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gdEMRdDI

Looks like Herring, probably attracted to the noise and vibration. They are
inquisitive little fuchers!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.outdoors.fishing
Advocate

"Ignoramus32184" wrote in message

I am in Northern Illinois. We have a small lake nearby.

I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at
least 15 inches thick.

I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty
basic.

1) I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel
prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to
break through that ice.

Sorry for the late response...living in Minnesota and having ice fished all
my life (more or less) using a steel prybar to cut a hole in 15" of ice
would be a lesson in futility. In the first place, fishermen used something
called a "spud" when chipping by hand, it has a sharpened edge to chip away
the ice. I don't use one if the ice is over 4" or so. One doesn't cut
straight down when using a spud, you cut at an angle. So, when you're done,
the hole would be about 3 feet in diameter at the top when you're finished
chipping. I'd suggest buying a hand crank auger for the job, you should be
able to find one for $50 or so.

Old March 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
rockmorgan rockmorgan is offline
Junior Member

I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to break through that ice. I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at least 15 inches thick. I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty basic.
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:22 AM
anddrewcraig anddrewcraig is offline
Junior Member

I accept alone onion accoutrements abounding with dog aliment and rocks in the holes to attract baitfish that allure Yellow Perch, Walleye and Sheepsheads. I don't apperceive it that in fact works. I too accept apparent angle besiege at a hole. I anticipate they are curious.