I-20 fishing Texas

Old December 13th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Andy Wooten

Default I-20 fishing Texas

I plan to leave Jackson, MS after Christmas for Deming, NM and thinking of
maybe stopping and fly fishing & camping along or close to I-20 in Texas.
Any suggestions along with fly suggestions & what might be caught would be
appreciated. I have a kick boat, 28' 5th wheel and would probably want to
stay a couple of days.
Thanks
Andy

Old December 13th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Big Dale

Andy wrote:snipthinking of
maybe stopping and fly fishing & camping along or close to I-20 in Texas.
Any suggestions along with fly suggestions & what might be caught would be
appreciated.

You might want to check out Lake Bisteneau State Park in Louisiana which is
about a half hour before you get to Shreveport. It is always pretty cool to
fish the cypress trees with the spanish moss in them. Once you are in Texas,
one of my favorite state parks is Tyler State Park. They will be stocking the
factory trout there by then, but it is a beautiful little state park what was
built by the ccc's in the '30's. Bass and brim rule in this part of the state.
It has been said that the best bass fishing in the world is found within a 50
mile radius of Tyler. Jim Green runs the flyfishing corner of The Backcountry
in Tyler the phone number of the shop is 903-953-4602. I have been a happy
customer for over seven years now. The Lone Star FlyFishers is the local fly
fishing club. WWW://LSFF.com. Their guide for Lake Fork is Rob Woodruff if you
want to go that route. Most of the towns in the I 20 corridor east of Dallas
were built around the turn of the centrury and most all have a little local
lake which are good for bass and bluegill. I am not sure if they ever filled up
the lake at Van or not. When they drained it earlier this year they screwed up
the best lake where you had a chance to catch a bluegill that weighs over one
pound. There is another state park about a half hour south of Longview called
Martin Creek State Park. Lake Of The Pines has been a great bass fishery since
they built it north of Longview back in the 50's. If you fish Caddo Lake be
careful, it is easy to get turned around and lost in it, but I think it is the
most beautiful lake in the state. I have heard that you don't need a fishing
license to fish in a state park now in Texas, but that could be just a viscious
rumor. It was in the paper, but you can't always trust what you read in the
paper...still it would be worth asking. I have concentrated on mentioning state
parks as they always do a good job for guys with fifth wheel rigs.

Big Dale
Old December 14th, 2003, 04:50 AM
John Lindsey

What a GREAT description! Thanks for sharing!

Good luck!
John
Andy wrote:snipthinking of

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:58 PM
licker

You can go to http://www.lastateparks.com/ for information on Louisiana
State parks. There are several in North Louisiana that are a short distance
from I-20. They all will have bass, Sac a Lait, and bream. Lake Claiborne
has some striped bass that may be fun to catch on a fly rod. Sac a Lait
fishing should be hot right now if you want to jig for them. They will be
stacked in the deep holes due to the water temperature. Look for them
around structure both man made and natural cover. Sunken tree tops are
great places to start looking. You can call Louisiana Wildlife and
fisheries and purchase your license over the phone. They will give you a
confirmation number. Louisiana is having problems with the new computer
generated license so you may have trouble finding a vendor. Some vendors
are selling paper licenses.

http://laflyfish.com
http://www.wlf.state.la.us/apps/netgear/page1.asp

Sarge