How to conserve bird skins?

Old November 1st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Erik B

Default How to conserve bird skins?

I wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?

Old November 1st, 2003, 06:49 PM
Cornmuse

Borax will dry out the oils in the skin. I have always been successful
putting pelts in a large plastic bag filled with Boraxo laundry detergent
(acutally not a detergent, but that is where you will find it in almost any
grocery store). I then seal the bag and freeze it for a while. After a
couple weeks of freezing I air the pelt out, place it back in the borax and
store it in a cool, dry place away from my regular tying materials for a
period of a few weeks. You can then wash out the pelt, dry it and use it.

YMMV

Joe C.

"Erik B" wrote in message
news
I wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?

Old November 1st, 2003, 07:14 PM
Scott Seidman

"Cornmuse" wrote in
:

Borax will dry out the oils in the skin. I have always been
successful putting pelts in a large plastic bag filled with Boraxo
laundry detergent (acutally not a detergent, but that is where you
will find it in almost any grocery store). I then seal the bag and
freeze it for a while. After a couple weeks of freezing I air the
pelt out, place it back in the borax and store it in a cool, dry place
away from my regular tying materials for a period of a few weeks. You
can then wash out the pelt, dry it and use it.

YMMV

Joe C.

"Erik B" wrote in message
news
I wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?

Again, Boraxo is not Borax. Boraxo is half soap. If you use Boraxo, you
will make a royal mess.

Scott
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:44 AM
ArnSaga

Erik B" BRBR
wonder if anybody can tell me what i can use to conserve birdskins?
BRBR

Feather-craft.com sells some compound for this. I have not used it myself.
GKT
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Larry and a cat named Dub

FYI I just called 20 mule team about the borax Laundry booster about a
week ago. It contains no detergent is 99% pure The other ingredients are
inert from the earth