PDA

View Full Version : Best Rod Guides?

go-bassn
October 7th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They all
have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm going
to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter by
having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the best &
how much do they cost?

Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Eric Ryder
October 7th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Check out the Recoils?

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They
> all have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm
> going to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter
> by having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the
> best & how much do they cost?
>
> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

go-bassn
October 7th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Fill me in dude, I know nothing.

WW
--

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> Check out the Recoils?
>
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
>> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They
>> all have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm
>> going to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter
>> by having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the
>> best & how much do they cost?
>>
>> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
>> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
>>
>> Warren
>> --
>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Charles B. Summers
October 7th, 2004, 04:56 AM
http://www.rec.com/rec/web/html/products.html

I really don't think your problem is with the guide itself, but rather the
way it's wrapped to the rod. A single foot guide will be more prone to come
undone than a double foot style, but wrapped correctly it still shouldn't
come off the blank.

I really couldn't tell a difference between anyones guides until Steve built
that spinning/drop shot rod for me. He used the Titanium SiC guides and
they're sweet. I really don't think I personally need those strong guides,
so I settled with the Alconite guides on my others. (Plus, they're cheaper)
I'm sure if Steve rewraps your rods... you won't have any problems.

Also, I'm sure that the epoxy plays a big part of it too. I like these
Bionic Blade rods from BPS, but after awhile the epoxy coating around the
wraps start chipping off. I just recoat them as needed...

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Fill me in dude, I know nothing.
>
> WW
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> > Check out the Recoils?
> >
> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> >> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around.
They
> >> all have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up.
I'm
> >> going to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this
winter
> >> by having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are
the
> >> best & how much do they cost?
> >>
> >> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
> >> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
> >>
> >> Warren
> >> --
> >> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> >> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> >> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Eric Ryder
October 7th, 2004, 01:47 PM
The hype:
Pure titanium, no inserts to crack chip fade or peel!

Llightest weight, not quite highest cost.

Easy to wrap.

The blues:
Tiptops are not preferred, use alconite, etc.

Hard to get http://www.merricktackle.com/gear.htm (wholesale only iirc)
there is a pic one page down.

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Fill me in dude, I know nothing.
>
> WW
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
>> Check out the Recoils?
>>
>> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
>>> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They
>>> all have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up.
>>> I'm going to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this
>>> winter by having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what
>>> are the best & how much do they cost?
>>>
>>> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
>>> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
>>>
>>> Warren
>>> --
>>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Richard Liebert
October 7th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I usually use Fuji SiC guides which run about $3 to $9 or more each
depending upon the exact part number. Your rodbuilder will help you select
the best guide for the money and use. If you are replacing some of the
guides on a rod, but not all of them, you will have to match the new guides
to the existing guides fairly closely if you want the rod to continue to
work well.

You could also visit some of the rod builders web sites to give yourself an
education. Try http://www.customtackle.com and http://www.mudhole.com/ for
starters. You might also visit the Fuji website.

Have you thought about learning how to install guides yourself? If you are
handy and have some patience it's not that difficult to get started. I took
up rod building almost two years ago and, with some help from the vendors,
some books, and people in this newsgroup I have gotten pretty good at it. I
must say I really enjoy boating fish on a rod that I built myself. You don't
really save much money, but you have more fun within the confines of the
sport and you get exactly what you want in a rod.

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They
all
> have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm
going
> to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter by
> having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the best
&
> how much do they cost?
>
> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

go-bassn
October 7th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Yes Richard I actually built a rod or two when I was in my teens lol. Not a
bad idea about rewrapping my own rods. Maybe I'll look into it. Can you
buy guide sets direct from Fuji?

Warren
--

"Richard Liebert" > wrote in message
>I usually use Fuji SiC guides which run about $3 to $9 or more each
> depending upon the exact part number. Your rodbuilder will help you select
> the best guide for the money and use. If you are replacing some of the
> guides on a rod, but not all of them, you will have to match the new
> guides
> to the existing guides fairly closely if you want the rod to continue to
> work well.
>
> You could also visit some of the rod builders web sites to give yourself
> an
> education. Try http://www.customtackle.com and http://www.mudhole.com/ for
> starters. You might also visit the Fuji website.
>
> Have you thought about learning how to install guides yourself? If you are
> handy and have some patience it's not that difficult to get started. I
> took
> up rod building almost two years ago and, with some help from the vendors,
> some books, and people in this newsgroup I have gotten pretty good at it.
> must say I really enjoy boating fish on a rod that I built myself. You
> don't
> really save much money, but you have more fun within the confines of the
> sport and you get exactly what you want in a rod.
>

> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
>> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around. They
> all
>> have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm
> going
>> to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter by
>> having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the
>> best
> &
>> how much do they cost?
>>
>> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
>> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
>>
>> Warren
>> --
>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Richard Liebert
October 8th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I don't think you can buy guide sets directly from Fuji. I usually call
Custom Tackle and order over the phone. They are very helpful, even with a
small order. I usually work with a fellow named Bob, but anyone there can
help you. Mudhole has also been very helpful.

You'll need very few hand tools to get started, however you will need
something to turn the rod slowly for a few hours after you apply the epoxy.
I invested in a motorized rod turner when I got started. I think it cost
about $65. Other than that the costs have been mostly for blanks, guides,
handle kits, etc.

Cabelas has a very broad selection of rod building components and tools
also.

If you fly fish you can save a lot of money building your own stuff, much
more than with bass equipment.

My experience is still somewhat limited, but I'll try to help you if I can.
If you post in this group for advice you'll surely get a lot of input from
others too.

This is a great group!

Good luck,

Rick

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Yes Richard I actually built a rod or two when I was in my teens lol. Not
> bad idea about rewrapping my own rods. Maybe I'll look into it. Can you
> buy guide sets direct from Fuji?
>
> Warren
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Richard Liebert" > wrote in
message
> >I usually use Fuji SiC guides which run about $3 to $9 or more each
> > depending upon the exact part number. Your rodbuilder will help you
select
> > the best guide for the money and use. If you are replacing some of the
> > guides on a rod, but not all of them, you will have to match the new
> > guides
> > to the existing guides fairly closely if you want the rod to continue to
> > work well.
> >
> > You could also visit some of the rod builders web sites to give yourself
> > an
> > education. Try http://www.customtackle.com and http://www.mudhole.com/
for
> > starters. You might also visit the Fuji website.
> >
> > Have you thought about learning how to install guides yourself? If you
are
> > handy and have some patience it's not that difficult to get started. I
> > took
> > up rod building almost two years ago and, with some help from the
vendors,
> > some books, and people in this newsgroup I have gotten pretty good at
it.
> > must say I really enjoy boating fish on a rod that I built myself. You
> > don't
> > really save much money, but you have more fun within the confines of the
> > sport and you get exactly what you want in a rod.
> >

> > "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> >> Ok, so I've got about a dozen St Croic Premier rods laying around.
They
> > all
> >> have one thing in common - the eyes &/or tip tops are messed up. I'm
> > going
> >> to keep my good buddy Steve Huber busy for a week or so this winter by
> >> having him rewrap them all with top-quality guides. So, what are the
> >> best
> > &
> >> how much do they cost?
> >>
> >> Funny, I love the Premiers but the guides just stink. I've never had a
> >> blank or any other part of the rods let me down, but c'mon St Croix!
> >>
> >> Warren
> >> --
> >> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> >> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> >> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

go-bassn
October 8th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Where can I get them? I cant find them in that link...

WW

--

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> The hype:
> Pure titanium, no inserts to crack chip fade or peel!
>
> Llightest weight, not quite highest cost.
>
> Easy to wrap.
>
> The blues:
> Tiptops are not preferred, use alconite, etc.
>
> Hard to get http://www.merricktackle.com/gear.htm (wholesale only iirc)
> there is a pic one page down.
>
> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
>> Fill me in dude, I know nothing.
>>
>> WW
>> --
>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>>

>> "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
>>> Check out the Recoils?

AJH
October 8th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Jann's Netcraft www.jannsnetcraft.com has a good supply of rod building
supplies

Git-R-Done

Eric Ryder
October 8th, 2004, 02:18 PM
ok, here's the horses mouth for the recoils:
http://www.rec.com/rec/web/html/recoilspin.html I sure hope you have a
wallet crobar:)

might want to check out the Fuji New Concept Series TATSG guides:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.210436/ck.RaMnw76JAMaLrmmC/cktime.5262/sc.19/category.-119/it.A/id.11706/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1b1f43c0b004b449934bbab2379a89 52b7b633.qQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3eIqQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxahyPaNmTaNyRaMb48QvJpkixn6jAmlj Gr5XDqQLvpAe_
same link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?U23832B79

some more recoil discussion:
http://www.rodbuilding.org/search.php?f=2&search=recoil&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&fldsubject=1

"go-bassn" > wrote in message
> Where can I get them? I cant find them in that link...
>
> WW
>
> --
> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
>

> "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
>> The hype:
>> Pure titanium, no inserts to crack chip fade or peel!
>>
>> Llightest weight, not quite highest cost.
>>
>> Easy to wrap.
>>
>> The blues:
>> Tiptops are not preferred, use alconite, etc.
>>
>> Hard to get http://www.merricktackle.com/gear.htm (wholesale only iirc)
>> there is a pic one page down.
>>
>> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
>>> Fill me in dude, I know nothing.
>>>
>>> WW
>>> --
>>> http://www.warrenwolk.com/
>>> http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
>>> 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

go-bassn
October 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks!

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> ok, here's the horses mouth for the recoils:
> http://www.rec.com/rec/web/html/recoilspin.html I sure hope you have a
> wallet crobar:)
>
> might want to check out the Fuji New Concept Series TATSG guides:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.210436/ck.RaMnw76JAMaLrmmC/cktime.5262/s
c.19/category.-119/it.A/id.11706/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1b1f43c0b004b449934bbab
2379a8952b7b633.qQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zI
nRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3eIqQvJq2PEmlnva30O-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxahyPaNmT
aNyRaMb48QvJpkixn6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe_
> same link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?U23832B79
>

> some more recoil discussion:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/search.php?f=2&search=recoil&globalsearch=0&match
=1&date=0&fldsubject=1

> "go-bassn" > wrote in message
> > Where can I get them? I cant find them in that link...
> >
> > WW
> >
> > --
> > http://www.warrenwolk.com/
> > http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
> > 2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions
> >

> > "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> >> The hype:
> >> Pure titanium, no inserts to crack chip fade or peel!
> >>
> >> Llightest weight, not quite highest cost.
> >>
> >> Easy to wrap.
> >>
> >> The blues:
> >> Tiptops are not preferred, use alconite, etc.
> >>
> >> Hard to get http://www.merricktackle.com/gear.htm (wholesale only iirc)
> >> there is a pic one page down.

Croix!

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
October 12th, 2004, 04:52 PM
"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> Check out the Recoils?

I built a rod for a guy that specified Recoils. I'm not impressed with
them. They are expensive, look cheap and I don't think that they offer any
particular advantage other that the "Cool Factor" of "Look, I can bend my
guides and they snap back!"

Personally, give me Fuji Alconite or Fuji SIC, that's what's on all of my
rods.

Warren, if you want, send me those rods this winter and I'll fix them for
you. If I remember correctly, St. Croix uses Fuji Alconite on their Premier
series of rods. They're good guides, but occasionally "poop occurs."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com